I have been using LR and PS since of V1.0 I think....and I was really very happy...
My iMac is a brand new 2020, 27", 5K, 24 Gb memory, 2 TB SSD, Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 Go, running OSX Catalina 10.15.7. That platform shoul be able to support LR normally...
Since 3 weeks from now, I am only able to work for (more or less) 10 minutes then LR is going very very slow, masks (of brush) are not visible anymore, GPU at 100% (even disabled !), then between 2 adjutments you have to wait for 30 to 60 seconds (for each move of a cursor...)... unusable....
LR 9.4 was running fine (currently downloading 9.4, that will be my last attempt to stay with LR...)
Pb started with LR 10.1...I then downgraded back to 10.0 : no effect
Disabling GPU : no effect
Reseting preferences, preview,etc.... : no effect
Creating a new catalog : no effect
I have NO solution...
Today (with LR 10.0) I can't work with all these problems...and that situation last since 3 weeks and....nothing fom Adobe...(loosing a customer do not represent anything for them, I can understand...)
But MY current customers are really upset (I understand them...time is difficult...) that I can't deliver any photo to them....(they even won't pay me for the already delivered time at work for them...)
I have already noticed all the messages from others users on this site and on other sites, I know I am not alone with this, but with the current situation I can't afford loosing money...I must do something...
I am leaving Adobe for "something else" not an easy decision after such a long time...
(currently testing some alternatives...I will take my decision in 2 or 3 days...)
Ah Ah !!! That's funny ! All my catalogs have been converted to 10.x and are not anymore usable with 9.4 (no conversion possible) ....perfect...I just needed that...
Your original LrC V9.4 catalogs are still on your computers hard drive (SSD).
The Upgrade process COPIES your older catalogs and Converts (Upgrades) the copy.
So if you search your SSD for files that have the extension .lrcat I am sure you will find your old catalogs.
That is IF you didn't manually Delete them.
Yes, they are still there, thx for the advice, the only pb is that the link to the original RAW file is gone...so you have to re-link each and every directory to restore that link...but still doable in case of necessity... i'll keep that.
What "Link" to which Original RAW file.
When you do an upgrade of a LrC catalog no image files are moved. The only thing that is Upgraded it the Database system so it works properly with the newer version of LrC.
I still have Lightroom version 5 installed on my system. The catalog for Lr5 was copied and upgraded to a file Type that worked with Lr CC 2015. then that Lr CC 2015 catalog was again Copied and Upgraded to a newer version that would work with either Lr 8 or 9 and then again that catalog was Copied once again and Upgraded to work with LrC V10.
All my images are in the same folder they have been in since 2006 and of course other added since then for every year. My Lr 5 catalog has not lost any links to the folder or file that have been Imported into it.
My LrC 10 catalog also sees all those folders and file.
What I think you mean is your old LrC 9.x catalog does not see the New folders and or image files you have imported since you installed LrC 10.
That is Normal. Those images, and the folders they are stored in, were Never imported into the Lrc 9.x catalog. So Import them.
Yes, you are right, I did tried with a recent catalog (10.0) then I had to re import the photos , that's normal...old catalog can be openned with LR 9.4 without any trouble...
There is a major bug in the latest Lightroom version 10 on Mac OS X that only manifests when you calibrate your screen (as you should) with calibration hardware (and only certain calibration hardware) and that makes Lightroom run incredibly slowly. You can circumvent the bug by just using the standard built-in profile which of course makes your colors incorrect (although not badly so on a recent iMac which will have a fairly good built-in profile) but might allow you to at least work. Also, Adobe Bridge with camera raw and photoshop shouldn't be affected.
That was an idea too...I am using an EIZO 2731 (Graphic Arts Display) and yes my display (iMac & Eizo) are calibrated , Eizo is hardware calibrated : the color table is in the display itself not in the system... the imac is calibrated with an X-Rite I1 Display PRO....I need this because my customers are printing the photos...installed LR 9.4 , still calibrated displays ;-). and so far so good....
PS: what is realy incredible is that we such a huge impact on professionals, Adobe says...nothing .... ;-(
Agreed. This is a very bad big that really should be getting addressed. Others with an i1 are seeing the same issue. Really pretty bad. Hope this gets fixed in the next version as I would not do critical work on an uncalibrated display either. It is possible to calibrate the display to a color standard (I think this does adobeRGB right) and set the profile to just the aRGB profile in system preferences. That should work around the bug and still allow you to work calibrated.
How much work have you accomplished in the newer upgraded catalog(s).
How much time do you loose if you roll back to v9.4 and use the pre v10.0 catalogs?
up to this date I added less than 1.000 pics to the new catalog (V10.x)...even if that's not a real pb as I am actually mainly working on old pics ( Thx COVID for killing the business...). As said in, the other reply, it's a solution I can accept.
thinking to that....My photos are sorted like this : customer-activity-date. (as a directory tree then a specific catalog for each date...). That will be a tremendeous job to relink all of this...
Question : is it a non sense to keep the old catalogs ? as far as the catalog upgrades do not permit an easy acces to the old version...
ie: if I want to re-edit today a photo which has been originally edited in a catalog version 5 it will not be possible to recover thes parameters in LR V10...(LR V5 not available anymore..) I will have to do all the edition again...???
Does reverting to a standard monitor profile help?
Even if it's ok with LR 10.x, I will not do that...we really need calibration to be sure of the quality of the printing...our customers will not accept that neither...