Highlighted

Lost ability to pull shadows on Nikon D850 files.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few months ago, I noticed a sudden loss of my ability to  use the shadow slider in any meaningful way. I shoot on a Nikon D850 which has an immense dynamic range, but Lightroom is rendering all my files badly underexposed and, as mentioned, little recourse to correct them. They look absolutely fine in Capture One and I can pull 3-4 stops from the shadows. 

I'm guessing some default changed,  but I'm most concerend about the possible loss of shadow recovery. Anyone know what I should be checking?? Appreciated. 

LR 9.2 Raw 12.2, Mac OS 10.13.6

Topics

How to, Mac, Performance, Presets or profiles, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lost ability to pull shadows on Nikon D850 files.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few months ago, I noticed a sudden loss of my ability to  use the shadow slider in any meaningful way. I shoot on a Nikon D850 which has an immense dynamic range, but Lightroom is rendering all my files badly underexposed and, as mentioned, little recourse to correct them. They look absolutely fine in Capture One and I can pull 3-4 stops from the shadows. 

I'm guessing some default changed,  but I'm most concerend about the possible loss of shadow recovery. Anyone know what I should be checking?? Appreciated. 

LR 9.2 Raw 12.2, Mac OS 10.13.6

Topics

How to, Mac, Performance, Presets or profiles, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you select one of the problematic .nefs in LR, do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, and upload both the .nef and its .xmp sidecar to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing links here.  Rather than playing 20 questions, that should give enough clues about the issue.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Loss of shadow recovery"

Do you mean that you seem unable to recover shadows for some reason? Or do you mean the slider for Shadows is actually not present?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slider is there. It seems it's not reading the image data correctly. I'll try to post xmp etc. in a bit. Thx.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you accidentaly moving a slider in an adjustment brush instead of the general panel?

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing sme default changed, ( I did loose my default color profile settings for this camera, and it's oddy hard to get it to stay back on the Nikon one I prefer) 

see:

https://lightroomkillertips.com/customizing-camera-raw-defaults-in-lightroom-classic/

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I wish I was doing somerthing that silly! It's definitely deeper than a profile setting (or using the wrong tool!). It happens regarless, and is happening in ACR as well. Have a look at the slider adjustment screen vids in the link I sent - LR vs. Cap. One. It's a STARK difference and the color profile has zero effect on it. All the info is in the file to acheive that dynamic range, LR is jut no longer seeing it for some reason.  Appreciate your time to reply! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines