• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost everything - even my pictures on hard drive

Explorer ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

35,000 photos gone.  I have been using Lightroom Classis for about 3 weeks.  Two days ago I opened up and showed no images.  Everything was blank..Did some postings but no answers.  Have watched videos.  Have spent two full days on this with little food or sleep.  I have twice been on Adobe remote and they could not find the catalogue.  My files show in the library but when I go to develop it says File not found.  When I try to find missing file nothing is there.  I go into my pictures and there are no folders since the Adobe remote was just with me.  I am sick.  I can live with starting a new catalogue from today but I cannot live with losing all my photos.  Would anyone know what has happened??  

I am using an imac and up until two days ago everything was fine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use your operating system's search feature to search all of your hard disks for your photos?

Did you look in the trash/recycle bin?

Do you have backups? (If not, why not?)

Worst case scenario ... download and run a "undelete utility", one of these programs may be able to recover your photos -- if you are going to do this, stop using your computer immediately for anything other than downloading and installing an running one of these programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying.  When I search for a picture in a folder it says 0 items.  Yes I have looked in trash.  I have an Iomega backup but cannot figure out to restore.  I have decided to pay and call the geek squad but they are expensive and this should never have happened so extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I didn't say "search in a folder". I said, use your operating system's search feature to search ALL HARD DRIVES for your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Lightroom is open and you see the thumbnails you still have a catalog so I dont know why Adobe Remote couldnt find it. If you click on Lightroom Classic and open Catalog Settings it will show you where the catalog is located.

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 6.42.34 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screen clip you show collections.  It would help if you would OPEN and show MacintoshHD contents instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your screenshot is says only 16000 photos are missing so 20000 ar not.  You should be able to click on one without the ! and it should show up in develop.  You have similar photos like 148 and 149 in you screenshot where one is missing and the other is not.  Do "show in finder" one the nonmissing one and see if you can find the missing one in the same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the catalogue settings and only shows low kB so that was not my catalogue. This morning I had 35,000 photos but that must have been with edits. On line with Adobe again now.  3rd time and he can not figure out with Adobe remote. I can try what you suggest after I finish.  I have used all these programmes since CS1 and never had anything like this% thank you for replying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been on Adobe Remote for over two hours.  That fellow did nothng but now I go into Lightroom again and I have a total of just over 13,000 images down from 35,000 yesterday morning.  Adobe was not able to find my pictures.  Funny they were there this afternoon when in a remote with someone else and when we closed the remote I went into see if I could get an image and try missing photo and all my folders are in pictures but not one image.  I am pretty fed up and tired.  I may just start my photography from scratch and a new catalogue but I am missing 14 years of images.  I make cards and get orders but I guess I will have to build up new stock.  I will phone the Geek Squad tomorrow and see if they can come during this isolation time but they are expensive and all this happened when I subscribed to Lightroom Classic.  This is going to cost much more than the monthly fee.  Sorry I am ranting.  Thank you for your help.  I can't locate those two photos again because the Adobe employee made a worse mess.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no answers and no photos and Adobe have not contacted me like they said they would. What a disappointing outfit Adobe help is😢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Link about missing photos, missing folders

See:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this last week but got nowhere.  Thank you for suggesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. Folders not Collections, please

As mentioned above, stop showing what Collections indicates, instead look in Folders. Are all your folders showing up, are ? marks appearing.

How about a new screenshot, with Folders expanded, Collections can be collapsed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. Photos stored where?

Where do you keep your photographs? Using MAC Finder, do they exist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the problem.  When Adobe were trying to fix with remote all my pictures disappeared from my folders in User/Shari/Pictures.  They cannot find them and I can not find them.  When I try to use PS or on1 it says file cannot be found.  At this point all I want is to find my pictures so I can continue with other software if necessary.  I do have an iomega HDD but Adobe remote couldn't find my pictures on it.  This was all set up years ago by a "technician" and I have not had to try to find anything and really do not know how.  Thanks for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4. Correct Catalog?

Do you have multiple catalogs. On your MAC, using Finder, search for .lrcat files, all drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5. Actual Lightroom version/app

In Lightroom, click on Help, click on System Info, what exactly is reported as version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 9.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6.Now that is odd, Camera, Phone, in Folder?

In your screenshot, I see that your camera is included as a folder. Why

Same for your phone. Why

Memory cards, SD in camera, micro SD in camera, etc, should not be used as photo storage in Lightroom, so why?

Oddities like that can bring up unknown bugs. Having the camera, having the phone as folders is not expected workflow. Well, not an Adobe tech/coder, but odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand what you mean here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic. In the Folders panel, why is your camera included as a folder, why is your smartphone included as a folder. These folders are where you keep photos for Lightroom to edit. After you import them.

They do not need to be included in the Folders panel, in order to import photos.

Lightroom should refuse to edit any photos in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still donot know what you mean.  I do not see them in folders.  I only see the dates of the photos I imported

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry I see it now.  Not showing that way on Classic.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7. Syncing?

In your screenshot, syncing is occurring. Sync to where, did your photos get syncd to the cloud? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Help told me to sync photos but it did not help.  They were in there while it was syncing.  Honestly I have had 5 different people from there including a supervisor and they seemed to mess it up more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines