• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost files during back-up.

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was backing up my iMac v10.13.6 with Time Machine and a G-Drive external HD.  I checked the back-ups when I was done and they had dropped most of my Collection folders from my Lightroom 4.  When I exited the back-ups, I discovered that they had also dropped the same folders from my original files.  The files were my best work, all edited.  Any suggestions anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

You need to take this up with Apple.

Also Collections are not folders, do not make folders on your drive so there is nothing to back up.

Collections are only stored, listed, recorded, in the Catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe exactly what you did to 'check the backups'? You should never open a catalog (or any other file for that matter) directly from within a Time Machine backup. If you ever need something from a backup, then use Time Machine to restore it properly.

I don't see how this would affect your current catalog, so it sounds like that after you checked the backup, you did not open the current catalog again, but an older copy of even a brand new copy.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Iohan.   I know I didn't restore a backup, so I must have checked it directly from the backup, and maybe I didn't open the curent catalog, but another one instead.  I'm 70 years old and lots of the time I'm just groping my way along in the dark with these things, even though I did get some help from Apple Support.  I guess I never really learned how to learn.  Sorry to bend your ear.  I tried to restore the backup today with Time Machine, but it wouldn't let me:I came to a location that ostensibly gave me a choice between canceling or restoring, except the restore button wasn't live - it was just grey on grey and clicking on it did nothing.  Any idea on what I'm doing wrong or what I should try next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to take this up with Apple.

Also Collections are not folders, do not make folders on your drive so there is nothing to back up.

Collections are only stored, listed, recorded, in the Catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll try Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a Lightroom Classic problem. Lightroom Classic does not make backups of photo files. Time Machine does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines