Highlighted

Lost My Catalog after recent update

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Lightroom Classic updated yesterday now my catalogs are missing. I can load older ones but not the one I was working with. I didn't do a backup unfortunately of the last photo dump. LR wants to keep upgrading my verisions of catalogs and I think this is what messed it up. Is there some way to recover that old catalog? 

Topics

Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lost My Catalog after recent update

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Lightroom Classic updated yesterday now my catalogs are missing. I can load older ones but not the one I was working with. I didn't do a backup unfortunately of the last photo dump. LR wants to keep upgrading my verisions of catalogs and I think this is what messed it up. Is there some way to recover that old catalog? 

Topics

Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your images are NOT In the LR catlaog. They are stored on your hard drive someplace. So you have not Lost them.

But you also have Not Lost the most current catalog (that is unless YOU deleted it).

Search your drive for .lrcat and or with LR open go to the File menu item and selct Open Recent. Do you see more than one catalog listed? Make a note of them and open each one until you find the most recent one.

And by default LR creates a backup of the catlaog file weekly (that is unless you stopped that from happening). So you should have a backup catalog that is no older than 7 days. those are store by default in the folder named Backup and that folder is in the smae folder as the working catalog is stored.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me look again, because I didn't see my images. I did not do a back up the last dump so hoping LR did then. I forgot it does an automatic backup. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue and unfortunately I was stupid enough to cancel the weekly backup of the catalog

I only have two other catalog backups, each over a year old. I don't know where/how/ or even IF the current catalog I was working with is saved anywhere on the computer (because I neglected the "backup catalog" feature). 

Where was the current version of the catalog being saved/stored? Is there a way to restore the catalog without the backup?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is installed in your Pictures folder by  default. If you go to  your Pictures folder and open  the Lightroom folder you will see any and all of  your previous catalogs. Also by default Lightroom appends the file name with a -2.lrcat. Depending on whether or not you have periodically deleted old catalogs you will see and can check 'date last opened' to find  the most recent catalog you were working in.

Check your Backup folder in the same Lightroom directory. If you haven't cleaned that out you will also find your backups  there. If you don't  have  a  secondary auto backup to an external hard drive or cloud service you may want to relocate your backups somewhere  other than your  local drive. This way if you have to  retrieve it if you run into a problem with  your computer  it will be accessible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually do back up on my external but didn't after the last dumb. The pictures I can find, but even my collections are all wrong. I can't get it back to the way it was. The backups are not there either. Yes I had it on auto backup. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear on what happens when you install Lr Classic - please refer to this Adobe Lightroom help article:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html

Where are my images and catalog located?

See Open a file in Explorer or Finder to learn about where your images are saved. Do note that your images are not stored in the Lightroom Classic app.

Your Lightroom Classic catalogs are located in the following folders, by default:

• Windows: \Users\[user name]\Pictures\Lightroom
  • macOS: /Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom

To check your default catalog, choose Edit > Preferences > General and check Default Catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has to upgrade your catalog to be compatible with the upgraded application. Lightroom handles this upgrade without deleting your current catalog, by making a copy that is upgraded. 

Open your current good catalog. Say yes to the message telling you it has to be upgraded. Lightroom automatically takes care of everything for you. Just be patient while the upgrade process takes place.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know this, so I did the update, then it said it wanted to update my catolog and it did and poof my current catalog is gone. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 things have to happen for an UPDATE to try and update an older catalog. Notice I used All Caps for UPDATE. The reason for that is an Update is a new Point release of the same major version of any piece of software you have installed. Like from verions 1 to version 1.1. In the case of LR Classic which is currently at version 9 an update would be from V9 to 9.1 and right now LR Classic is at version 9.2. It has had 2 point release since the Major UpGRADE from version 8.x to version 9.x

So back to the 2 reasons.

1) You did NOT do an Update. You did an Upgrade from an older version. Which IMO is a very hard thing to do at this point. Version 9 has been out for months. The initial release of version 9 was in November 2019. 9.1 was released in December and V9.2 was released in February, about 7 days ago.

2) The install of the point release update of LR Classic verion 9.1 to 9.2 somehow didn't see you had an Upgraded catalog and or it only saw an older catalog.

So in any event your original catalog is still someplace on your drive.

Not to Nit Pick but another reply said LR is installed in your pictures folder. That is completely incorrect.

LR Classic by default installs to the C drive on a Windows computer and into the "Program Files" folder and on a Mac to the Applications folder in the ROOT of the Macintosh HD (the Mac Hard Drive.

What gets placed in your Username Pictures folder (on either Windows or Mac OS X) by Default is your images, when imported from a memory card (they are copied into a subfolder of the Pictures folder) and the LR Classic Catalog file.

So someplace on your drive you have the catalog you are looking for that has a Reference to your images.

As for the actual image file they are also someplace on your drive. The first place to look is in your Username Pictures folder in subfolders under that folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok So I went back to the verison and I have 9.1.  I will look on the hard drive again for this catalog. Like I told someone else it is not the photos, I have those but all my collections and presets. Should I look for the catalog first or do the update again first? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, find the catalog first. Open the catalog by double clicking on it. Do this without opening Lightroom first.

What I missed, and Just Shoot Me explained very clearly is that you updated the application, but you have not UPGRADED the catalog. The catalog contains your collections and presets. You are missing those because you opened a new or different catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This right here is what started this whole mess. 
So when I click on my catalog this is the message that I get. 
It's like I am missing a whole years worth of work. From presets to collections. 

Capture.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say Yes! User the newer upgraded Catalog. It will upgrade your catalog and append it with a -2.lrcat and it will not remove your older catalog.

Your user presets have  not been deleted. There is a preference setting which allows you to store your catalog preset in  the same folder as your .lrcat in a Lightroom Settings folder. If you have not checked this option all of you user  specific presets are stored in the system/user level. You can  find them by going into your Preferences > Presets > Show All Other Lightroom Presets. Clicking on the button will open the folder via  the finder. At that point you can copy and paste to the  Lightroom Settings folder in your Lightroom folder in  your Pictures folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has worked aside from starting a new catalog and importing all my presets into it. What could have happened, and Why didn't it back up when it was supposed to. So frustrated. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines