Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lots of duplicates after combining two catalogs

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All:

After I combined two catalogs, I have lots of duplicates. The duplicate has identical file name but a copy name called "Copy 1". When I click "show in folder", both orignal and duplicate will direct to the same folder. The number of photos in the folder show in LR is almost double that in the orignal folder.   

Is there any quick way to get rid of the dublilcates? How did I get them? 

Many thanks!

Jimmy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Do NOT delete files until you have an answer!

My suspicions- A screen-clip of your Library Grid view might confirm this-

The merge of catalogs can create 'Virtual Copies' in the instance where you have done Develop work in both of the Catalogs that are merged.

Do the 'duplicates' you talk of show the 'turned up corner' on the Grid previews that indicates they are Virtual Copies? The "Copy 1" might also indicate that this is the case. (VCs are not duplicate physical files!)

ie. Lightroom is prese

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT delete files until you have an answer!

My suspicions- A screen-clip of your Library Grid view might confirm this-

The merge of catalogs can create 'Virtual Copies' in the instance where you have done Develop work in both of the Catalogs that are merged.

Do the 'duplicates' you talk of show the 'turned up corner' on the Grid previews that indicates they are Virtual Copies? The "Copy 1" might also indicate that this is the case. (VCs are not duplicate physical files!)

ie. Lightroom is preserving the Development of the same image file from both catalogs, and there is only ONE original file- do NOT delete the original.

In your merged catalog- If you prefer the Development of a VC more than the 'master', you can swap them and make the VC into the 'Master'.

(Select the VC, Menu: Photo > Set Copy as Master )

And you can easily 'Remove' any VCs if you prefer the Development of the 'Master'.

You can "Remove" the Virtual Copies- but which version of your edits do you like?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

Yes all of the extra copies are VCs with tured up corer. Some of them were created by myself but the combnation of two catelogs crearted VC for all the photos. 

If they are just VCs, I guess I will not worry about them too much.

Again many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines