• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 10.2 crashes despite reset of preferences

Explorer ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- LR Classic 10.2; Windows 10; recently having exported a photo from LR to PS, LR crashes. Have reset preferences. No help. IF I catalog backup virtually everytime then it seems to "cure" the problem. These are screenshots of the messages I get. I cannot open LR without then rebooting. Any ideas how to cure the problem? Thanks

martinl23268315_0-1621711733082.pngmartinl23268315_1-1621711746058.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you start with an ideally new, clean (or another) catalog? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.FYI just uninstalled, rebooted then reinstalled. Tried a catalog backup and crashed again. Tried a second time and backup worked OK.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, how do I create a new catalog but keep all the same information as in the current catalog? I assume the instructions for doing so tells me here to keep the new catalog etc etc. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a new catalog and try Import from Catalog. Point to the original (but it could be screwy if that's your older catalog). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I suspect I already know the answer, but is there anyway to fix a corrupted catalog? Alternatively is there anyway of importing all the photo files in the corrupted file to a new file without performing the import photo album folder by photo album folder (if you understand what I mean)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that - same problem - spont crashes if I dont back up everytime I close. Is there a way to check if catalog is corrupted? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos are not "in" the catalog. They are in folders on your hard drive. You can create a new catalog and simply import the images from their current location, but it will be necessary to redo all of the editing because it's the editing you have done that is in the corrupted catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AAAAHHHH! So, again pls excuse my lack of understanding & knowledge, the photos in my hard drive picture folders that were keyworded in LR, if imported again from my hard drive into a new LR catalog, would still be keyworded? The only missing info would be the various stages in develop mode that would be missing? Is that right?  Incidentally changed LR 10.2 to 10.1.1 - still crashing which was the original issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the keywords are a feature of the catalog. You will have to add keywords to the images as well. It's a process of starting all over on  ALL the work you did on your images. The images in the folders on your hard drive are just the images that were imported from your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah Ok - P.I.T.A.!!! Thanks JimHess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why it's critical to back up your catalog and everything else you can't afford to lose. Multiple backups to different locations.

You said you can open a catalog after a reboot. Can you select one image when open and use the “Export as Catalog” command? Then open that new catalog again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks thedigitaldog for the explanation and taking the time to answer. FYI I just created a new catalog and imported some photos in my folders into the new LR catalog from my hard drive. The good news is that keywords are all present. The only missing info are in the develop mode ie the various stages before export to PS.. Not a major concern compared with keywords!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly; import presets should bring back all your keywords, just be using one image from the previous catalog that you exported as catalog. Now you may need to rebuild this newer catalog by using the Import Folder command or similar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines