• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 2.4 automatically senses a CF card and starts up...I dont want this..

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 2.4 automatically  senses a CF card and starts up...I dont want this..

I UN-checked the box

"  preferences; import; 'show dialog when a memory card is detected'   " 

but it rechecks itself when it LR closed...  and reopened...

i.e   I shut down LR...and reopen the dialog and sure enough it is rechecked..

I dont want LR to auto  try and respond to a CF card inserted

I also have adobe elements 4 installed  and tried to find any related stuff that MIGHT be 'rechecking' the box ...as an ADOBE system parameter...or something

this SEEMED to start occuring when I installed the latest LR 2.4....no issues before this

during last 2 yrs etc

using Win7 RC ... BUT this was NOT happening for past months... with previous LR and Win7...

and Win7 beta also...no issues..........JUST the new LR 2.4 install

HELP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
Enthusiast ,
Jul 20, 2009 Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the suggested method of changing the permissions on the registry entry and it worked both on vista 32 and win7 64, FWIW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will wait for Adobe to make the fix.

If I change the registry now, who's to know what else may have to be adjusted when Adobe finally does a bug fix.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll just change the permissions back before I apply the update, when it comes in several months. In the meantime I won't be aggravated by LR starting every time I plug in a CF card or USB drive. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to submit a bug report. I did a search and the document that came up with a link to the bug report returns a broken link and I cannot find where to file a bug report. If everyone who is using 2.4 (or who has uninstalled it because of this anoying behavor) would file a report, they would have to give up giving the lame answers that have been indicated on this thread. Since there is a check box in the program to stop auto upload, it SHOULD just WORK, without all the registry mucking etc.

I would appreciate an active link to the bug report form. I urge everyone to take a minute and submit a bug report. I have friends who are so miffed with this that they are bailing on Lightroom over this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please do file reports on this, they are appreciated and will help nail this. Here is the link:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Thank you for helping!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for providing the link to the bug report form. I've sent mine. As I said before, I hope everyone does. If they need to be hit upside the head with a bunch of bug reports...so be it. Just an acknowledgment that they are working on the problem would ease many users frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Angus, the issue is being looked into. Hopefully a solution won't be too long.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes me feel much better in a thread like this. Just a note the the issue is acknowledged and being looked into. I will pass the word along to folks I know struggling with this problem. And I will direct them to the bug report form too. Thank you again Geoff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2009 Jul 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe is finally going to do something about the problem.

Summary of long correspondence with Adobe's Web Support. Up until yesterday, web support kept telling me to reset Preferences, etc. Yesterday, they finally acknowledged the bug existed.

***Notes to Customer***

07/24/200919:49:34

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting Adobe® Web Support for assistance with Adobe Photoshop® Lightroom® 2.4

We apologize for the delay in responding to your case. We have experienced a recent increase in volume for web cases being submitted. We have made corrections in staffing and expect to be caught up with our backlog of cases soon.

We apologize for you past web support experience. The Development Team is aware of the issue and are working on correcting it. We recommend that you continue to use Lightroom 2.3 and wait for the 2.5 update.

When updates are available there will be an announcement on adobe.com.

In the future you can submit a bug report or feature request through the Bug Report/ Feature Request form. The URL is -
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html and click the feedback tab.

***Notes from Customer***

07/22/200917:32:11

I GIVE UP WITH YOUR WEB SUPPORT!!! READ THE FORUM FOR PROBLEMS WITH LR 2.4 AND DO NOT RESPOND TO ME UNTIL YOU HAVE A FIX!!! THERE IS A BUG IN LR 2.4. AS I STATED BEFORE, I HAVE PERFORMED ALL OF THE TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS BEFORE CONTACTING YOU. ALL PREFERENCES, ETC. WERE CLEARED. THE SEPARATELY CREATED ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. LR 2.3 DOES NOT HAVE A PROBLEM AND I HAVE GONE BACK TO USING IT UNTIL YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE BUG IN LR 2.4 AND
ISSUE AN UPDATE.

***Notes to Customer***

07/22/200917:26:52

(After telling me to perform the same troubleshooting steps I already told them I had performed, they told me the following)

Hello John,

...I understand that other Lightroom users are also encountering this
issue. Most Lightroom users are not encountering this issue. This issue
should be resolvable by troubleshooting your system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 16, 2009 Aug 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, what Adobe said was that they are not going to address this problem until they are ready for the next update.  They basically said "Stop using our current product that we are selling to an uninformed bunch of suckers and use the old version which we originally told you was not as good as this one.  Don't call us, we'll call you when we're good and ready."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jmlphotography wrote:

Actually, what Adobe said was that they are not going to address this problem until they are ready for the next update.  They basically said "Stop using our current product that we are selling to an uninformed bunch of suckers and use the old version which we originally told you was not as good as this one.  Don't call us, we'll call you when we're good and ready."

Fact is that this issue is not affecting the vast majority of users. If you consider yourself a sucker, well........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geoff,

I don't hang around here enough to know whether you're an employee of Adobe or not. It really doesn't matter, because when a company acts this way it behooves employees and consultants/experts to call them on it.  Adobe acts in ways that puts the old Microsoft to shame.  This is just one example.  They own the market because they have the best product. But when they were a bit hungrier I suspect customer support was a higher priority.  You may object to my characterization of how they think of customers, but in fact they did say not to use the current product until they release a new one with no indication of when that may be.  You probably have the ear of folks at Adobe.  You are on the front line with users, you can add value by leading this charge, not trying to make excuses for their non-response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have fixed this problem.  Let me say I am not a computer person and I don't even know photoshop very well.  But the following just worked for me.  I am assuming this is a windows machines issue.

• Go to the Contol Panel, classic view
  • Click on AutoPlay, 4th icon on the top
  • You will be able to reset your autoplay options.
    • I found that LR had assigned itself to auto start with Pictures and with Mixed Content (hence it would start when I plugged in my cellphone and GPS).
  • Reset your options -- I set my pictures to open and be downloaded by Bridge, the other I set to do nothing.
  • Save and you're done!!

I stuck a CF card in and it worked fine.  I shut down everything and did a restart, it's still working.  God knows if it will work tommorow, but I'm optimistic.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jmlphotography is right.

This clearly seems the issue and I know it also fixed it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jml photography, comment on your suggested fix.

After completing the steps you suggested if you relaunch LR2 isn't the "Import" box in Preferences again checked.  This will start the cycle all over again and result in LR2 to automatically sense the CF or camera and start up.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to resolve the issue with these steps several times many days ago.

I also tried (unsuccessfully) the suggested edit in with my regedit files (but no luck).

I guess I have to wait for the Adobe update (V2.5).

Mean while, I will have to uncheck the box each time before exiting LR2.  This stops the auto sensing until I launch LR2 again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad to say but you're right.  The fix works until you start LR.  It then takes over your machine and installs itself as the default everything.  It's amazing to me because people go nuts when certain browsers, programs or web sites behave like that.  Isn't that what trojans do? Fortunately for me I am happy to do my work in CS3 so I will uninstall LR as I would any program or plug-in that hijacked my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the registry permissions change outlined above it will work even after you use LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix does not work on any one of my three computers. One Vista Ultimate 64bit, and two Windows 7 64bit, different versions (one is 7100)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine for me both on vista ultimate x86 and windows 7 ultimate x64 RTM. I use both bridge and LR daily and when I insert a CF card LR does not start but I get the popup asking what I want to do - which is typically to use bridge to import but sometimes I use Nikon capture, sometimes explorer, etc. Not sure why it doesn't work on your systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this would be a good solid fix.  Until lightroom changed it back tonight.

Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the permissions on the registry entry Lightroom2BetaAutoPlayHandler64 (or 32) LR can't change it back. That's the key to the fix, preventing LR from changing the autoplay handler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have commented about this Registry adjustment awhile back. It did not work for me. I finally reinstalled LR 2.3 until Adobe fixes 2.4. Also, by using 2.3 I have the choice of importing as "compressed" or "not compressed" (LR 2.4 took that option away from us).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you have auto start up disabled and this might block LR from taking

over. Can you confirm this?

Control panel > Autoplay (check box on upper left if you're using Vista).

Regardless, I'm sticking to my principle of not using software that hijacks

my computer. Besides, there are somethings I want to autoplay, like Picture

downloads to Bridge, music CDs etc. Point is, those should be my decisions,

not Adobe's.

Regards,

Jim

http://jmlphotography.smugmug.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jwlphotography ,  Yes I have the Auto Play box in upper LH corner checked and I agree 100% with your comments on choice of what you want to play / launch.

I have the box in Auto Play checked and I have Bridge selected for pictures but if I launch LR2 it automatically checks it's import box and the next time I connect and turn on my camera, LR2 will launch instead of Bridge (what a pain).

If I am in LR2 and uncheck the import box before exiting the program, then it will not auto launch LR2 when I connect my camera (that is unless I launch LR2 again - what a big pain in the butt).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have autostart disabled. When I insert a card I get the explorer popup asking what I want to do with the files, just like before LR 2.4 was installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines