• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 2.4 automatically senses a CF card and starts up...I dont want this..

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 2.4 automatically  senses a CF card and starts up...I dont want this..

I UN-checked the box

"  preferences; import; 'show dialog when a memory card is detected'   " 

but it rechecks itself when it LR closed...  and reopened...

i.e   I shut down LR...and reopen the dialog and sure enough it is rechecked..

I dont want LR to auto  try and respond to a CF card inserted

I also have adobe elements 4 installed  and tried to find any related stuff that MIGHT be 'rechecking' the box ...as an ADOBE system parameter...or something

this SEEMED to start occuring when I installed the latest LR 2.4....no issues before this

during last 2 yrs etc

using Win7 RC ... BUT this was NOT happening for past months... with previous LR and Win7...

and Win7 beta also...no issues..........JUST the new LR 2.4 install

HELP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that.  Rechecked my registry also.  Still changing.

Though just because this is happening "hijack" if one wants to call it that.  I am still going to use it.  LR is my workflow software of choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you change permissions on the registry entries? If you remove the permissions from ShowPicturesOnArrival in the EventHandlersDefaultSection then no program can set itself as the default handler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My work flow is to download images with Bridge, edit in PS CS4.  I use LR2 as a second choice for special work and don't want to have LR2 to open automatically when connecting my camera for downloading files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 64bit / Vista 64bit

I download with 'Downloader Pro'. LR starts up then, and when my automatic backup array initiates in the middle of the night, preventing the process from continuing till I click LR away in the morning. Tried the suggest fixes, nada!

For the first time EVER, I'm considering non Adobe alternatives. Not so much because of this problem, but because of  the reported lack of interest on the part Adobe. I submitted a bug report long ago, as have others. I have never had a response.

A wise executive I worked with years ago used to say that no employee or company is any good till they have been thumped a couple times . . . it's time for Adobe to wise up!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

ImageMan II

that's what has to happen.......

product exodus, slump...layoffs ...etc....

then ...

a humility period....

.......followed by resumed/continued arrogance

we can only hope...

oh well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have done all this & have done all that.  Evetually it all changes back and promps LR.

I'm not going to spend any more time with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned before, I do not have autoplay disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My new and creative LR2.4 work flow.

After all editing is complete and prior to exiting the application, I go into the Preferences and Uncheck the Import box.  This way LR2 does not automatically sense and import files when I connect my camera.

The next time I launch LR2 the box will again become checked and I just need to remember to Uncheck it each time as I close the application down.  That is better than having LR2 pop up every time I connect my external drives or camera.  This works for me but what a pain in the butt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I made the initially suggested registry change and also removed the permissions from ShowPicturesOnArrival in the EventHandlersDefaultSection it prevented any program, including LR, from setting itself as the default handler for pictures, so I always get the explorer popup letting me choose which program I want to use. I just need to remember to change that entry back when/if Adobe fixes the problem.

I always download directly from the CF card, though, not by attaching the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get it to stop self checking "show import dialog..." and to stop readjusting Auto Load settings, I had to uncheck the "Include inheritable permission..." on all 4 items in AutoplayHandlers. I am running Vista Home 64bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2009 Aug 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont bother dealing with them unless ...necessary

they show their clear contempt for - me - the customer...every time I bother to look their way

I always feel trod upon.

your characterization is quite accurate...from my experience dealing with them...

glad you said it..

and it will have no effect, since they own everything and know it...

at least you spoke out .... even thru a shill wind

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 17, 2009 Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tommylee,

Support is good, poetic support unique. Loved the pun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2009 Aug 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man this is a really annoying bug. September tomorrow and still no fix from Adobe.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that the registry permissions fix written about in this thread works for me on Windows 7 RC (64 bit).

By the way, I'm in no way affiliated with "Geoff the Kiwi", who given his input into this thread should perhaps change his screen name to "Geoff the Adobe Apologist". It would be nice if someone actually from Adobe put an appearance in to reassure upset users that they are working on this, and advise when we can expect a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2009 Aug 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input Dave........

There are very few users having problems, maybe you should be looking at why your system has this occur and not others. The last time there was a major issue with an LR release, To Hogarty - the Product Manager, apologised publicly and a dot release was made available asap.

This issue is being investigated and I would expect that the next LR release will not be too far down the line given the release timeline so far. I would expect a fix then - keeping in mind that it is impossible to test any application against all the possible combinations of hardware and software especially those out there for PC's.

We all appreciate how frustrating these things are..........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, on further investigation I was dissapointed to find that the registry edit did not fix the problem.

At first I though it was probably some problem between LR and Windows 7 RC, but then reading this I see others running Vista have the same issue. Seems to be specific to 64 bit versions though. I did send a bug report, and I hope Adobe come up with a fix soon. It's a hell of a lot more annoying than it sounds. It's amazing how many things you plug into your computer have images on them.This morning I opened a Windows Home Server backup, and of course as soon as my machine mounted the backup image, LR popped up and wanted to download several thousand photos. I'm going to see if I still have a copy of LR 2.3 and see if that solves it.

I generally love Adobe software (with the exception of the endlessly problematic Acrobat), but needless to say I've been a bit down on Adobe lately. After recently installing CS3 on Win 7 I lost my internet connection. I eventually discovered that CS3 installs the Apple Bonjour service (I know other Apple stuff does too, but I avoid Apple software on the PC for this very reason), and Bonjour was resetting the default gateway to 0.0.0.0! I killed that service quick smart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(win7 64b) - found by accident

Solution - instal second copy of LR 2.4, 32b version, only for getting screen like this:

lr24.JPG:

Two LRs is better than one

Happy waiting for 2.5

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the problem on both 32bit vista and 64bit win7, RC and RTM. Changing the registry fixed the issue for me on both. I made the change several weeks ago and have use LR 2.4 many times since then and the fix is still working.

I expect the problem is more widespread than some suspect, since if you always use LR to import pictures you'd not notice the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note:  The problem also exists with Windows Vista (32 bit).  Also, LR 2.3 works perfectly, so you should use that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geoff, if you think very few are having problems with this, please look at the number of people that have looked at this thread. It is over 7000 now! I have never seen a thread here with this number of hits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Marty Mignard<forums@adobe.com> said:

>

Geoff, if you think very few are having problems with this, please look at the number of people that have looked at this thread. It is over 7000 now! I have never seen a thread here with this number of hits.

I've looked at this thread, and I don't have this problem. So the

number of views is not necessarily indicative of the number of people

who have the problem. Some might read it, trying to help; some might

be curious, in case it comes up in future; etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to consider that those individuals read the topic and find out there is no firm solution.  So, like me, we reinstall LR 2.3.  They may never "spill their guts" in the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. On the DPReview thread that I referred to I pointed out the Adobe

recommendation to go back to LR 2.3 and I'm sure many did exactly that,

without ever contacting Adobe or discussing it again.

Regards,

Jim

http://jmlphotography.smugmug.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the official response from Adobe was to revert to v 2.3 it is a non option for me. Version 2.4 apart from providing support for more than 20 new camera models there were several bug fixes included. To revert to 2.3 now would be going back in history about six months.

This issue is more of an annoyance than a performance bug. I see no reason why Adobe could not have corrected this with a version 2.4.1 if that was the only fix. Its a slap in the face for paying customers.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running LR2.4 on 2 machines (Vista 32bit laptop & Vista 32bit desktop) and having the exact same problem on both.

I don't recall the problem occuring with 2.4 on my old Win XP machine.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so this problem affects Win Vista and 7, both 23 and 64 bit, and there's no sure work around other than reverting to LR version 2.3

What I'd like to know is, is anybody running Lightroom 2.4 on these operating systems without this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines