Highlighted

Lr 4.4 Not Showing Thumbnails on Import Screen; Not Importing

New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm trying to import 2000+ photos from a folder into Lr4.4. They are in the same location as where I'm putting them in Lr. I open the Import screen and it shows the first 50ish thumbs. The rest are all grey. With all photos checked, so I choose import to current location and I begin the import. The screen says Importing files... The status bars gets stuck at 20%. I cancel the import and pop up error message says: No photos or videos were found to import.

I start over again. I look at my other folders from the import screen and can see the dimmed thumbs of my other already imported photos. But when I go back to this one particular folder with the 2000+ photos, now there are no thumbs at all! Again, I try the import and the status bar goes straight to 20%.

I tried renaming the originating folder and importing again. This time it showed me a bunch of greyed out subfolders with dates and a 0 next to them with a checkmark. There are no subfolders in that folder. BTW, these are all photos I downloaded from my Android phone. After I clicked import, tt created a subfolder and put 100 photos in it and the status bar stopped at 20% again. I already have a bunch of cell phone photos in there so I dont' think that would be an issue.

Something is wrong with the location of all those photos I guess but I don't know how to fix it.

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lr 4.4 Not Showing Thumbnails on Import Screen; Not Importing

New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm trying to import 2000+ photos from a folder into Lr4.4. They are in the same location as where I'm putting them in Lr. I open the Import screen and it shows the first 50ish thumbs. The rest are all grey. With all photos checked, so I choose import to current location and I begin the import. The screen says Importing files... The status bars gets stuck at 20%. I cancel the import and pop up error message says: No photos or videos were found to import.

I start over again. I look at my other folders from the import screen and can see the dimmed thumbs of my other already imported photos. But when I go back to this one particular folder with the 2000+ photos, now there are no thumbs at all! Again, I try the import and the status bar goes straight to 20%.

I tried renaming the originating folder and importing again. This time it showed me a bunch of greyed out subfolders with dates and a 0 next to them with a checkmark. There are no subfolders in that folder. BTW, these are all photos I downloaded from my Android phone. After I clicked import, tt created a subfolder and put 100 photos in it and the status bar stopped at 20% again. I already have a bunch of cell phone photos in there so I dont' think that would be an issue.

Something is wrong with the location of all those photos I guess but I don't know how to fix it.

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 14, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thumnbails gray at Import means the photos have been previously imported into Lightroom, and so Lightroom does not want to allow you to import them again. So step #1 is to find the photos in Lightroom.

Follow all of these four steps in order:

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos exist in the same folder I am importing to. I am just trying to import them into the catalog.
Not sure if there is a misunderstanding. I know that when a photo has been imported, you can see the thumbnail but it is dimmed out. These thumbnails are literally just 100% grey squares there is no thumbnail. It's just the box where the thumbnail should be.

I searched for the photos with the question mark on the top right corner to locate them. All 2000+ are in that folder. So when I locate it, it disappears and shows up in the proper folder. But how can I do this for all photos without doing it one at a time!?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I searched for the photos with the question mark on the top right corner to locate them. All 2000+ are in that folder. So when I locate it, it disappears and shows up in the proper folder. But how can I do this for all photos without doing it one at a time!?"

Please read this document, it shows how to reconnect an entire folder. http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder-old.htm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please confirm the type of import you are doing { copy, DNG, add }.

Sounds like you should be doing an ADD if your files are already at the desired folder location.

JPG or raw? Which camera?

Using File-Explorer or Finder, verify that you have the needed READ and WRITE permissions on the source and destination folders.

Can you give us a screen shot so that we can see what you are seeing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your help. I will look at that reconnect article now. In the meantime, to answer your questions, I am adding jpgs. They are just cell phone photos that I moved to my PC. The source and destination are the same. Screenshot attached:

RoSoFoto_0-1589695417276.png

I just realized something right after I attached the screenshot. The thumbs load up just fine until the first video file. Then I get a pop up that says I need to have Quicktime installed. I cancel it as I have no need for that program. But right after that first video thumb, my other thumbs stopped showing. I wonder if there is a connection.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I read the reconnect article. I tried again using those methods and it's still not seeing all the photos in there and freezing up when I do an import. I also have a subfolder called Video. In my File Explorer, there are dozens of cell phone video mp4 video files. But when I try to import those, it does the same thing as when I try to import the photos. It says there are no photos or videos to import. I close Lr last night and did a backup.

I'm clicking on the Lr shortcut now and it won't even open. Not even from the folder it's in.

For some reason, my Lr folder is not located in either Progam Files>Adobe or Program Files(x86)>Adobe.

For some reason, my Lr folder is located on my data drive inside the folder that contains all my images:

H:\Users\Roy Administrator\Pictures\Lightroom

RoSoFoto_0-1589790831207.pngRoSoFoto_1-1589790869103.pngRoSoFoto_2-1589790897494.pngRoSoFoto_3-1589790927215.png

I know I know I know. It's a big friggin mess. I'm usually organized. I don't know how it got this way. I almost lost my cat file a long time ago and now I'm scared to move anything. I have almost 100k photos that I'd rather not have to re edit.

Also, whenver I do a backup, it takes forever. I don't expect you to be surprised. I'm sure there are some folders I can get rid of that are probably redundant.

I know this has turned into multiple problems now. Can you please help me get this all sorted out? What's the first step?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, its obvious you have multiple problems, and I think the best solution is to concentrate on one problem at get that working, rather than jumping around from problem to problem in the same thread.

As far as thumbnails appearing until the first video file, I have noticed that too, and I think you just need to be patient and wait a few minutes and see if the rest of the thumbnails appear.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Well, the other problems kind of just showed up while I was trying to resolve the first problem and also might be contributing to the first problem.

I have left it for a long time. The thumbnails never show up. And I even waited for the import and checked on it much later and it still says No Photos or Videos Found.

So I guess my priority now is why isn't Lr opening up? I think it will open if I restart my PC but I shouldn't have to do that. So that is the first problem I think. Any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not heard back from you. Are you not able to help me?

All folders including folders that are not a problem are marked as Read Only but the files are not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All drives and folders in the path to the image files have to be "read and write."

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 10, Lr 4, Ps 22.0,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's go back to the beginning. Please state your exact operating system version NUMBER. We do not want words like "latest" or "up-to-date", we want the version NUMBER.

"So I guess my priority now is why isn't Lr opening up? I think it will open if I restart my PC but I shouldn't have to do that. So that is the first problem I think. Any ideas?"

This has not been mentioned before. Can you please describe the problem in more detail? If there are error message(s), can you quote the exact word-for-word error message(s)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 0
RoSoFoto LATEST
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that happened in the midst of trying to do the import. After I try a few times, then Lr won't start at all until I restart the computer. I am able to open it now.

Not sure how much more detail I can give. What else can I tell you? This is my version of Windows: Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
This is the only error message I get:

RoSoFoto_0-1590478967594.png

I even tried importing one single photo into a newly created subfolder in the folder "Cell Phone" and it still won't import. As mentioned, the photo physically exists in the same folder I am trying to import it into in Lr.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0