Highlighted

LR 5 and One Drive

New Here ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 5 and my husband backed up the computer using One Drive.  Now all of my photos are "missing" in LR.  When I try to retrieve them by "locate missing photos", and then select the file, it deletes it from the LR catalog.  I want to upgrade LR, but I don't want to do it before I get the photos back in it.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum & title edited by Moderator}

Topics

How to, Problem or error, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

LR 5 and One Drive

New Here ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 5 and my husband backed up the computer using One Drive.  Now all of my photos are "missing" in LR.  When I try to retrieve them by "locate missing photos", and then select the file, it deletes it from the LR catalog.  I want to upgrade LR, but I don't want to do it before I get the photos back in it.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum & title edited by Moderator}

Topics

How to, Problem or error, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An answer- Assuming you have Lightroom v5 the 'old' 'Standalone' version that stores photos in local folders. (there is a Mobile v5!)

Did 'hubby' MOVE or COPY the photo files to the One-Drive?

If they were COPIED then there should not have been any change to the Lightroom catalog or its working.

If they were MOVED then the Lightroom Catalog is still looking to the old folder location for the files, and reports them as "missing".

One-Drive is NOT a good location to store files referenced by Lightroom- it will lead to problems.

Restore your photos to the exact folder location where they were before and Lightroom will continue to work as before.

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Adobe link)

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

I want to upgrade LR

Now you can only upgrade by subscription to Lightroom-Classic v9.2 in the Photography Plan 20Gb.

! Lightroom Classic 20Gb or Lightroom 1Tb - COMPARE

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Wobertc for your reply. To answer your question, it looks like OneDrive copied the files.  There is a separate OneDrive file and the picture files I have been using seem to be in the same place as before.  However, when I right click on a folder or subfolder in LR, and then to "Find missing folder", it goes to a folder of 2019 pictures.  This happens on everything in LR.  If I put the curser on the 2017 folder in LR, for example, it shows the path:  c:\user\owner\pictures\2017. The pictures are there, but LR doesn't to go there. HELP!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you make some screen-clips that show-

your Folder panel, with a folder selected, and some thumbnails visible in that folder.

It may give us some clues to your problems.

(Add screen-clip images by clicking on the 'Landscape' icon above your reply post window.)

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beth0209_0-1588644384492.png

Let me know if this is not what you need.  Thanks so much for your help on this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen-clip shows that Lightroom has lost its connection with all folders right up to and including the {Pictures} parent folder.

Can you [Right-CLick] on this topmost {Pictures} folder and [Find Missing Folder] then-

Navigate to the {Pictures} folder that shows in your 'User' hierarchy of folders in the File Explorer window. [Select] this {Pictures} folder.

Hopefully this will relink all the sub-folders.

Did you learn how to relink folders from the "Missing" links I posted?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have made things worse.  I thought I followed the instructions, but as you can see all pics are together and they still have the explanation mark.  But the folder doesn't show the files are missing.

I'm sending a screen shot of the new folder panel.  Also one shot of what shows when I put the curser on the LR title at the top. (it has OnDrive in the path.  Could that be part of the problem?)

Is it possible to use a past former backup file to get rid of this mess I have created?

LR folder screen.png

path of LR.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"OneDrive in the path. Could that be part of the problem?"

Could be- as your Catalog file (Lightroom 5 Catalog.LRCAT) is on the oneDrive. (Not a good place as the OS is continually trying to sync the 'constantly changing' local file with a cloud file while using Lr)

For a better Lr view of where your photo files are in the Lr Folder panel- Remove the check mark from- MENU: Library>Show Photos in Subfolders

Then you will not be seeing the photo count in multiple sub-folders.

ScreenShot109.jpg

It appears that your 'Pictures' folder has been moved into the onedrive parent folder. And your screen-clip indicates the Catalog has been moved within it also.  I would expect to see the Pictures folder under the 'Owner' folder. (You being the 'Owner').

It is almost impossible for me to suggest exactly what you need to do. Remote fixes are very difficult. But in essence, you need to have the photo files on the hard-drive in exactly the same location as the Lightroom folder panel shows them to be.

Can you post some screen-clips of Windows File Explorer showing folders where you might think your photo files are stored (including the OneDrive).

Restoring a Backup Catalog will still have errors as the files were moved to OneDrive 'outside' of Lightroom- I think stick with the current catalog and fix this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that this is not going to be possible to fix remotely.  I appreciate all of the time and effort you have spent to try to help.  Thanks.

One screen shot is the LR screen after I unmarked the "show photos in subfolders".

The next one is the Pictures folder where I thought they were.

The last one is the picture file under OneDrive.

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (6).png

 Thanks again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's have a go!

Yes, I think your problems stemmed from the Catalog constantly syncing!

ScreenShot116.jpg

It does appear that all your folders and files are the same in both the {C:Pictures} and {C:OneDrive\Pictures} suggesting they were copied and not moved. ok.

1) In Windows File Explorer- Click on the {OneDrive\Lightroom} folder and rename it as {Lightroom Backup}  (a means to 'Hide' this folder in OneDrive)

2) In Windows File Explorer- Navigate to the {Lightroom} folder through {C:Pictures\Lightroom}.

ScreenShot119.jpgScreenShot117.jpg

3) Expand the folder until you see the file {Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat}

4) [Double-click] on {Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat} to open Lightroom with this Catalog.

This forces Lr to use the catalog file that is only 'local' and not syncing to OneDrive.

Now you need to update the folder location for your Pictures folder in Lightroom:

5) Select to highlight the {Pictures} folder in the {OneDrive} parent folder of the folder panel,

ScreenShot118.jpg

6) [Right-Click] and choose [Update Folder Location]

7) In the File Explorer window that opens- navigate to and select your {C:Pictures} folder.

Lightroom folder panel should now be looking at the files in {C:Pictures} under {Users\Owner}and not the {OneDrive}

The next steps will be to relink any missing files that may be showing- Run the [Find all Missing photos] command again to refresh the data in the Catalog panel.

Post another clip of the Lr Folder panel- including the Catalog panel-

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I start, I want to make sure this is the correct Lightroom 5 Catalog. Ircat file.  When I double click on it, I get this message that I need a Microsoft app.

Screenshot (8).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
WobertC LATEST
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is the Catalog- with the [Lr] icon-

ScreenShot120.jpg

AND - with Lightroom not running- you will have to delete the file exactly below it-  {Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat.LOCK). Otherwise this file will stop the catalog from opening. (it is 'locked').

The {.....lrcat-journal} file is a temporary database working file and can be ignored.

Hint: In Windows File Explorer- turn on the View option for File Name Extensions- so you can see the types of files.

ScreenShot122.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines