• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 9.2.1 does not display the camera's serial number if there are no digits in it.

Participant ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Serial number field to store information about the shooting side. I have it either DARK or LIGHT. Filling in data via exiftool. And it displays it correctly. And LR doesn't want to. If I add numbers, everything is displayed correctly. Where can I write about this? There was no such problem before.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

The EXIF specification allows EXIF:BodySerialNumber (what Exiftool calls SerialNumber) to be an arbitrary ASCII string. So LR 9.3 isn't conforming with the spec here. 

You can post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions: 
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info.  Provide all the details, rather

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether it worked before or not is a mute point.  You are trying to use a field for something it wasn't intended/designed for so if the behavior was changed I wouldn't expect Adobe to change it back if it still works for serial numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EXIF specification allows EXIF:BodySerialNumber (what Exiftool calls SerialNumber) to be an arbitrary ASCII string. So LR 9.3 isn't conforming with the spec here. 

You can post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions: 
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info.  Provide all the details, rather than linking back to this thread -- experience shows that Adobe developers tend not to follow the links. (Safari users, uncheck the option Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Prevent Cross-Site Tracking or use Chrome or Firefox.)

But to build on Bob's comment, I think it's unlikely Adobe will fix this (unless Nikon starts using serial numbers not containing digits) -- there metadata problems affecting large numbers of users that have gone unfixed for years.  You might consider using another standard field, such as EXIF:UserComment or one of the many IPTC fields, or perhaps add a hierarchical keyword.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! Yes, you are probably right. It's just a shame that something that worked suddenly stopped working. Not that it won't happen to something else.
You'll have to use a different field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines