• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CATALOGUES

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to start creating 1 catalogue per shoot. Instead of all the shoots in 1 catalogue.

Now I have 1 big catalogue and would like to downsize it. So can I export each shoot that is in my catalogue to a new separate catalogue and than delete the shoot(s) in the big catalogue one by one? Or isn't this a good idea? Is it better to leave the big cataloque as it is and start from now on with the new shoots in seperate catalogues..? 

Thanks for your advice

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Thank you for the guideline but after reading all the answers I think I'd better leave it as it is. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The general consensus from most users is use one Catalog.

See the link below for mor info on the subject.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/one-or-multiple-catalogs/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the good article.  👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeating what @DdeGannes said.

"The general consensus from most users is use one Catalog."

There are many advantages to one catalog, and very few drawbacks.

So can I export each shoot that is in my catalogue to a new separate catalogue and than delete the shoot(s) in the big catalogue one by one?

Generally, I advise against this. It's extra work, for no benefit.

Is it better to leave the big cataloque as it is and start from now on with the new shoots in seperate catalogues..?

Extra work, no benefit. Use one catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I might reconsider then 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on the previous replies, consider very carefully whether you really want multiple catalogs -- the article posted by DdeGannes lays out the issues well.  Most people are better served with a single catalog and improving their LR searching and organizing skills.

But if you decide you really want multiple catalogs:

1. Make two backups of your current catalog (just to be extra conservative).

2. Select the photos in each shoot and do File > Export As Catalog with these options:

johnrellis_0-1622993643960.png

3. Remove those photos from the current catalog (but not from disk!).

4. When the current catalog is empty, you can delete its catalog folder from disk, reclaiming the disk space used by its now unneeded previews and smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people are better served with a single catalog and improving their LR searching and organizing skills.

Exactly right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you should select the option Build / Include Smart Previews only if you regularly built smart previews for your all your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the guideline but after reading all the answers I think I'd better leave it as it is. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines