Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC v7.5 unknown error when importing from another catalog

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day fellow LR CC users,

Please Help, when I try to import to my main LR catalog from another LR catalog (made with the same LR program) I am told: Lightroom could not import this catalog because of an unknown error.

LR error 2018-09-26.png

I was able to perform this same task with this computer on this catalog a month ago. I was also able to perform this same task on this computer with this version of lightroom on a different hard drive with a different catalog and library of images about a week ago.

Has anyone run into this problem? Is there a solution? 

Program:

Lightroom Classic CC v7.5

Info that may help:

The main LR cat and library live on a 4TB drive and I have 1.75TB still available

the main LR cat is pretty big it is 917.2MB

the main LR Library is pretty big too it is 2.11TB

Computer:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 32 GB

MAC OS:

El Capitan v 10.11.6

I have already tried these things and, no joy:

1) optimized both catalogs

2) restarted Light Room

3) made a new catalog from the photos etc that I want to import into my main catalog

4) made a new master catalog to import into

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

We're sorry to hear about the unknown error, could you please let us know where are your catalogs stored? on an external drive or local drive?

Could you please refer to this forum thread and let us know if it helps? Issues with Importing from another LR Classic Catalog

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Catalog and Library are stored on the same drive. It is a separate drive than the drive my operating system is on. It's a Mac Tower with multiple internal drives. The OS and the programs are located on an SSD that is the boot drive. The mis-behaving Lightroom Catalogue and Library have their own internal high speed spinning hard drive.

please tell me this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sahil.Chawla I have the same issue, checked the thread you mention but still, the catalogue import fails.

The original catalogue opens fine. I even optimised it, threw away the previews and rebuilt them all. Got rid of two files which had issues with preview building. Still no joy. Even tried exporting the catalogue a to a new one on my local HD and tried importing THAT catalogue. Still no joy. Same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Catalog and Library are stored on the same drive. It is a separate drive than the drive my operating system is on. It's a Mac Tower with multiple internal drives. The OS and the programs are located on an SSD that is the boot drive. The mis-behaving Lightroom Catalogue and Library have their own internal high speed spinning hard drive.

please tell me this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with one catalog getting that error over and over again each time I tried to import it into my main catalog.

I tried deleting previews, rebuilding previews, finding missing files, deleting missing files or linking them. I then methodically exported images folder by folder into new catalogues and tried reimporting those into my main catalog (successfully) until I found the problem files.

There were several which went into dated folders created by Lightroom on import. A mistake I made one day leaving this option turned on. I´m not sure what happened but when I eliminated these folders by creating a new one (within Lightroom) and moving all those images out of the dated folders into one new folder, I was able to export most of them as a catalog and import it into my main one.

There were still some issues, this time, about half went in before that error popped up on screen. Given that I hadn´t edited any of these files, I simply synchronised the folder from my main catalog and voila. All images are in my main catalog now. I realise this is a subideal way to go about a workaround, but there have not been any clear answers on the forums regarding this error. I wonder now if it has something to do with folder structures. Have any of you with this issue used the renaming function on the Lightroom import panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly same problem.

Any ideas why this could happen?

Extremely annoying to read a "because of unknown error" instead of a proper log professional software would do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines