Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC: i7 6700k, 32GB DDR, Samsung SSD, GTX 1070 Windows 10

Lightroom is very slow at basic tasks like select images, change module, write caption title etc.

Can take up to 10 seconds just to select a few images. small jpgs as well as hires raws. LR freezes for some seconds (not responding).

What I have tried:

uncheck/check gpu acc.

reset preferences.

removed all plugins

disabled all plugins

uninstall and reinstall LR

made a new catalog with just 130 images. Same response as catalog with 100k images.

When browsing images, the cpu usage goes up to 10-15%

It's been like this since last fall when I built this PC. On my macbook pro 2011 it is just regular slow. Not ridiculous slow like this.

But tasks like editing images with the sliders in dev module, import and export seems to run like normal.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Ok. So I ran the benchmark. First i got only 3800 (total. the 11k number you refer to is cpu only. I got 11500 there). And noticed that the 2D performance was really low. like GT 630 low.

So I reinstalled the graphics driver, and what do you know, the graphics performance went up to over GTX980 scores. (5800 points total)

So that fixed Lightrooms lag.

I didn't think of reinstalling the graphics driver since it was only LR that lagged. And I have been updating the graphics drivers several times wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, this didn't last long.

Just finished a job. imported 1300 new images. And LR is bag to it's useless slowness. culling these images will take a while ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try closing and restarting LR? What you describe sounds like the "normal slowness" issue and that's the only fix for now. I can edit about 50-100 image files and then things start to slow down more and more..... Some people see this happen after editing only 5 image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes of course. that's the first thing I do when things are going slow.

normal slowness is how LR normally is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks indeed to trstraner for the info about the Performance test. I didn't know what to expect of my homebuilt computer, except that it ought to be fastish, and I don't have any real performance problems with LR (only the slowdown with time).

For the Record, my test results were:-

Passmark     6246

cpu             15999

2D                 990

3D                4135

Memory        3041

Disk            14184

The hardware is i7-5930K cpu, M2000 Quadro, Samsung 860 ssd, 32GB ram.

Bob F.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, you're one of the few people reporting in the forums that does NOT have LR issues using a 6-core processor system.

For comparison my much more modest i7-860 quad-core, Nvidia Quadro 600, 12GB, SSD system has no real issues processing 21 Mpixel 5D MKII raw files using a single 2560x1440 display. I've also done some testing using 50 Mpixel 5D MKIV raw files with very little difference in LR's performance noted. I do sometimes see the slowdown over time inside LR, but it's unpredictable.

Here are my PassMark results for comparison:

Frost   Shaner

Passmark     6246   2316

CPU           15999   5154

2D                  990     537

3D                4135     776

Memory        3041   1758

Disk            14184   2385

Percentile                   58% World Average

Quite a difference! What camera model files and display(s) are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same slow issues in the library and develop mode.  I read much of the thread and I can't seem to decide what to do with my computer.  Maybe someone can help me too.  I ran the performance test and this is what my new computer resulted while LR was running:

Passmark:  3557

CPU: 8215.5

2d:  603.1

3d:  4278.6

Memory Mask:  2347.1

Disk Mark:  2475.9

My system is a Windows 10, HP Omen gaming computer, 2 hard drives, SSD 188gb and Data Drive 2TB, 16 GB Ram, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, 64-bit OS, x64-based processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070.

I restart LR.  I turn off graphics processor.  I use smart previews.  I have the library in the SSD.  I have the images in the Data drive.  I've tied putting both in the Data drive.  It's still slow that way.

I have not uninstalled the graphics driver since this is a brand new computer from HP.

I process RAW images from a Canon 5D Mark III.  I optimize my catalog.  I just want to skim through my images, pick the best ones, and then develop the selects.  I could start with 600-1000 images and them cull it down to 300.  It's slow in both.

If anyone can help me, I'd love some advice.  Thanks, Mona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you know what. LR fu*kings stinks! After a few days of adequate slowness, it is starting to bog down again. And I haven't done anything like install drivers or calibrated anything.

Half the time I stare on some sort of loading screen og Lightroom not responding message. And god forbid if I have a video file. then I can add 20 seconds to time I will never get back. And when that's done, it won't even play the video! Not that I really use LR for video anyway since it doesn't do video well.

Adobe should give out free punching balls so the customers have someplace to relief the stress it's causing.

#!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017-05-08 12_06_31-TIBoine - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library (Not Responding).jpg

a very common sight with LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Looks like I have found the issue. After I reinstalled the driver, I also re calibrated the monitor using the spyder pro. And after I did that, LR started lagging again. So I deleted the monitor profile made by spyder. And then LR worked as normal.

This isn't a good solution. Any idea why that happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, and it has been discussed before. The thing is that the monitor profile is constantly read, and every time you make an adjustment, a new conversion is performed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it's been discussed way to many times with no assistance coming form Adobe Staff. LR is very finicky about the type of display profile and some may work fine with PS, but cause performance or rendering issues (color, contrast) with LR.

The general consensus is that a Matrix ICC Version 2 profile is most compatible, and Lookup Table (LUT) ICC Version 4 profiles may cause issues. I say "may" because some users have reported no issues with either profile type. What Spyder model are you using? Try creating a new Spyder profile using the 'Expert' or 'Advanced' mode and selecting 'Matrix for profile type and ICC Version 2. The availability of these settings varies by Spyder model and perhaps even generation (3, 4, 5).

Please let us know your results and I will try to get this resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The general consensus is that a Matrix ICC Version 2 profile is most compatible, and Lookup Table (LUT) ICC Version 4 profiles may cause issues.

True, and it's perfectly possible the Spyder makes v4 by default. LUT is less likely, it's probably just matrix.

However, in this case I was more thinking along the lines of "profile drag" so to speak, a profile that basically works, but has some problems that cause the app to slow down. I remember someone (Rob Cole?) digging into things and being genuinely surprised at how much time and CPU cycles were spent on loading and reading the monitor profile.

I use ColorNavigator, which has a lot of options for profile policies and general anatomy. It also lets you quickly switch between profiles (although an app relaunch is still required). In any case, I'll keep an eye on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of the Spyder device?

What is your software version currently in use from Datacolor?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, is there any chance you saved that problematic profile and would be willing to share it with us?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleted the profile.

used spyder 5 pro

latest software

3440x1440.

I have a dual monitor setup.

Can't say I notice any difference with GPU acc on or off. except from when doing GPU heavy tasks like transform.

note, I am not using any additional color profile. But the lag is back. killing me slowly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tiboine  wrote

deleted the profile.

used spyder 5 pro

latest software

3440x1440.

I have a dual monitor setup.

Did you use the Advanced or Expert mode that let's you select ICC Version 2 and Matrix type profile? Are you calibrating both displays. What resolution is the 2nd display?

Tiboine  wrote

Can't say I notice any difference with GPU acc on or off. except from when doing GPU heavy tasks like transform.

Are you using LR with dual monitors? There is currently no GPU support for the Secondary display. If using a 3440x1440 monitor for the Secondary Loupe display it will be dog slow!

Regardless if you're using dual-displays with LR or NOT–How does LR behave if you shutdown, disconnect the 2nd display, and reboot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no such options available in spyder as far as I can see.  second display is 1920x1200. I don't use it for LR.

no change when disconnecting the monitor.

any word on the next LR update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR on iPad Pro is faster than my 5k working station.....

Thank you marketing guys.. we don't work all the time on remote location...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the resolution of the monitor? Do you have dual monitor setup? GPU acceleration on and working?

The type of color profile might be a factor.

There is a bug fix a while back in the context of soft-proofing where Lr would scan the color profiles more often than necessary. But in general, Lr would read the monitor color profile once per application session, reuse the cached version when requested later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simonsaith, would you mind reading my post above and see what you think?  I do not get the black screen Tiboine is getting, but I do get a flash of a crash screen if I sometimes do something as simple as changing exposure.  I definitely get the lags of trying to focus the image on 1x1.  It also lags so much just trying to update any change on a new image.  I've tried everything to speed up the process.  It's driving me crazy.  I wonder if MAC users have these issues?  Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've got the same problem... Hi end PC working station for video editing.

Since I've got my sony alpha 7rii, now my DNG fils are more than 20 mo, when it was 4 mo evrything was fast and smooth...

Can may be the dev team can work on multi cpu used with Lightroom. We all feel that the code/software is for dslr more than 2/3 years...

This can't go like this for ever...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the Classic "update", LR is still slow as poop. can take upto 5 seconds to mark a few images in grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread and I was doing research as I was also finding slowness and was in search of a solution... This thread was helpful and it also made me thing of trying another parameter... Windows Power Plan... as I noticed when benchmarking and measuring power comsumption there is a big difference... If you use High performance or Ultimate Performance... LR will hum along nicely. but in Power Saver plan CPU and GPU are clock limited and you will have terrible performance.  This might be why when you initially reinstalled the driver (removing an power plan settings) it was good and then after some time or updates those setting could have been reinserted in (see the Advanced setting for power plans to see what is being changed in each plan...) here is an App I use to quickly switch power plans   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a really old thread but I'm in a similar situation. 
I'mrunning an

Asus extreme Maximus iii motherboard

i76700k skylake

32 gb of 3200 megahertz Corsair RGB ram 

radeon 7 gpu

m.2 ssd 970 pro evo 1tb Samsung 

in a case with proper airflow. 
I know my cpu is a bit dated but I was having no issues what so ever before. 
For the last few years I have ran a hackinsosh build with this very system with high Sierra and Mojave. With little to no issues with premier pro and Lightroom. 
I ran this system with another normal sata ssd to run windows for gaming and such 

as of late I wanted to fully switch over to windows  so did a clean install on the m.2 1tb drive and did some test edits with a folder of 4 raw images from my Sony a7iii everything ran pretty fine as far as normal develop stuff but any cropping or rotating it lags like crazy. I never had this issue with my Mac side ever. Switching from photo to photo seems to be quite slower too. I have tried every normal thing that's recommended on here.  Even did another clean install of windows 

My gpu is updated to the latest drivers. 
I tried new ram

tried a different m.2 ssd 

changed my cache size to 50 gb 

tured on and off gpu acceleration with little to no effect. 
Using standard color profile 

I have plenty or storage on the c drive and that's where the catalog is and the raw images are on there too. 

All changing nothing. Same consistent lag across the board. 
Plus premier pro is making me render 1080p footage every time I do so much as add a cross fade or extend a clip. At a 1/4th preview 

never had this issue on my Mac side. 
I pay over 50 bucks a month for these programs 

the hardware I'm using is more than adequate to to run edit 24 megapixel raw images & edit 1080p footage in a single clip timeline. 
come on adobe. Just because you have pretty much a Monopoly on the market at the moment doesn't mean you should slack off this much. 
I'm about fed up and thinking of switching to da Vinci resolve and capture one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm convinced Adobe just doesn't care anymore.  We are running LR classic on a Windows 10 PC with a Ryzen 3600X overclocked with 32 GB of fast RAM, an AMD Radeon Vega 64 (overclocked and undervolted), and only fast SSDs with the OS on a M.2 NVME SSD.  STILL LR Classic is slow to switch between modules, slow to open, slow to develop, etc.  Windows 10 Home version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 and the most up to date driver for the Vega 64.  GET IT TOGETHER ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines