• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC will not allow me to Write/delete files after moving external drives to new computer

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to a new imac desktop running macOS Mojave.  I use a Drobo 5D3 external hard drive for all my images.  Lightroom will not allow me to write or delete files on this drive.  I can do it external to LR.  I've checked the read/write permissions on the drive.  Still I get errors that say "files cannot be moved to the trash" or "new file could not be created" or "could not prepare file for export to PS."  Any ideas?  What additional info can I provide?  Ths.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I also use the Drobo (but 5C) and no problem whit the last version of LR.
Please shar the information about the version of Lightroom.
In the past some version have similar issue, but if I welle remember now it's corrected. Moreover please check again the permission bot for the driver and the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks B,  So after beating my head for a bit here is what I have found.  Yes the permissions seem to have changed when I exited one Mac and moved the Drobo 5D3 to another.  What I am finding now is if I go into a folder and manually change the permission to Read/Write for that folder, LR now allows me to remove/delete files from just that folder.  So now here is the question....how can I do a global permission change for the entire drive?  I tried and it does not seem to affect the individual folders which means I now have to individually change permission for each folder and I have a multitude of folders for each year back to 2006. Ugh.

There has got to be an easier way that I am not seeing.  I also looked in my Drobo Dashboard to see if there was anything there but no go.  I am using the most recent version of LR having just updated yesterday.  But it was doing it prior to that as well, since moving to the new iMac. 

I was attempting to have a brand new clean Imac for just editing photos but LR has been plaquing me with challenges as I have crossed over.  Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just found this on the Drobo User Forum:

Drobo is suddenly read-only

Article Id: AA-01454Last updated date: 11-29-2017

Symptom:
Unable to write to the Drobo, Drobo is read-only.
Drive bay lights Green

Reason:
This issue is most likely a permissions problem and has been reported most frequently with Time Machine backups on a Mac.

Try the following suggestions:
  • Safely shut down Drobo device, wait 5 minutes then power Drobo on. The power-cycle can sometimes correct the read-only mode.
  • Try using Repair Permissions from Disk Utility on the Mac to fix the permissions on the Drobo
  • From Apple's (TM) website, try  Cocktail. Using the default settings under the Pilot option in Cocktail has worked for other users who were experiencing similar problems.
  • In Drobo Dashboard, is there an (RO) next to the name of the Drobo?, if so contact Support. 
The last option: 
  • If none of the above resolves. Copy off the data and reformat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the above suggestions helped in any way.  I am stuck.  Everytime I import, move, ore delete images I have to manually go in a change the permsissions to read/write on every folder involved.  This is painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I simply try to share with you some link with similar problem solved:

Catalog read/write on Catalina 

Suggestion from adobe 

Permission fix on Lightroom video 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines