LR Classic 10.1 loads old catalogs

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open LR Classic 10.1, it tries to upgrade and then open an old catalog. I have manually opened the correct, upgraded catlog, in preferences specified it to be the always open this catalog. The path is correct. But, it I open LRC by clicking the Win10 start menu icon for the program, it reverts to the old catalog.

In older versions on Win, I would think the program has the old catalog asa specified path, but I cannot find such a property in the current installation.

Also, but may not be related LRC 10 and 10.1 open REALLY SLOWLY on a very fast MS Surface Pro 6.

Any ideas on how to resolve this nuisance?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

LEGEND , Dec 27, 2020
Just Shoot Me LEGEND , Dec 27, 2020
What you describe can't, or shouldn't, happen. If you Set LrC to Open a specific catalog in the Default Catalog section of the Preferecnes, You put in the Actual, True, PATH to that catalog file LrC should Open that catalog. Not some other catalog that is not included in that dialog section.   So either You are doing something wrong or your install of LrC is Completely and TOTALLY FUBAR. And if that is the case you should uninstall it Completely, probably using the CC Cleaner Tool, and then rein...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can choose the default catalog in Preferences > General.

LR-startup-catalog.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I think you are point LrC V10.x to the OLD catalog.

New Upgraded V10 catalogs have a V and a 10 (V10) in the name (that is unless you changed the name after the upgrade or at the time of allowing LrC to upgrade a copy of your old catalog file).

What is the name of the catalog file listed in the Default Catalog section of the LrC Preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
chemsaf AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per - I had set the default to the catalog and path I wanted.

Just shoot - The catalog fil name is: NEALs_LR_Catalog-2-2-v10. That is in the default along with the correct path.

I think I have figured this out ... I have a folder on my c:-drive named c:\LIGHTROOM_CATALOGS. The folder I want to use and that has the above named catalog is on my Google-Drive, which is physically on the c:-drive. Even though the default path points to the c:\google\LIGHTROOM_CATALOGS folder, the program is going to the folder not on the Google drive.

I have this set up so my catalog is always backed up to my Google Cloud.

I am going to change things around so LRC does what it wants, but I will do my daily catalog back-up to the Google Drive and thus have cloud protection that way.

I will come back here and let you all know if this works.

Thanks for the ideas.

Neal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are asking for trouble placing the LrC catalog file in a folder that Auto Synces to the clouds

In my opinion that is a Very bad thing to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
chemsaf AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information...

I rearranged catalogs and folders. When I open LRC from the desktop icon, it still tries to open the old folder which is named NEALs_LR_Catalog-2-2. Even though the default is as above, and is in the correct folder, it does not see it.

Is there something like a "history" that needs to be cleared?

Frustrating...

Neal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete or Reset the LrC Preferences file. Then Test.

Sounds like a corrupted preferences file.

How do I reset Lightroom's Preferences? - The Lightroom Queen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
chemsaf AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset preferences by both methods, and the problem on startup is exactly the same. Trying to start an old, pre=version 10 catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do as @Per Berntsen suggests but I like to do as you do and POINT LrC to the actual catalog file I want it to open.

But along with that I rename my catalogs to match the version they go with and to move them into their own folders with the same kind of naming, Matching the Lr version they go with.

I bet if you open the folder where you have the original catalog file in you see multiple copies of catalog files with V10 in the name and then probably a - and then a number. -2, -3, -4 and so on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I open LRC from the desktop icon, it still tries to open the old folder which is named NEALs_LR_Catalog-2-2.

Is there something like a "history" that needs to be cleared?"

If the Desktop Icon is a Shortcut to a specific CATALOG- Delete this shortcut icon!

Open LrC from the Start Menu, or the (Open] button in the CC Desktop App. Then your 'Default' catalog set in Preferences will be the one that opens.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.1.1, Photoshop 22.2, Lightroom 4.1, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
chemsaf AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish it were that. I open from a icon/button installed by the LRC setup/update. If I navigate to the actual LRC program via Windows File Explorer and open I get the same result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just like opening a Word Document or PDF by [double-click] on the .doc/.pdf file:

Open the Catalog you want to view by [double-click] on the .LRCAT file.

Having multiple Catalogs is always a path to confusion unless you are very aware of the Catalogs you use.

Catalogs you do NOT use should be archived elsewhere, and not nearby the current working catalog/s.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.1.1, Photoshop 22.2, Lightroom 4.1, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
chemsaf AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Yes, that works and is a tolerable work-around. However, it does not address the root-cause of the problem.

I am tempted to uninstall and reinstall LRC. At the least, this is annoying.

BTW - I do archive old/unused catalogs.

I appreciate everyone's help today. It is getting late, so I will close and come back to this, perhaps, tomorrow.

Stay healthy and get vaccinated.

Neal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe can't, or shouldn't, happen. If you Set LrC to Open a specific catalog in the Default Catalog section of the Preferecnes, You put in the Actual, True, PATH to that catalog file LrC should Open that catalog. Not some other catalog that is not included in that dialog section.

So either You are doing something wrong or your install of LrC is Completely and TOTALLY FUBAR.

And if that is the case you should uninstall it Completely, probably using the CC Cleaner Tool, and then reinstall.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
chemsaf AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. Here is the preferences settings. See below for the folder/file path

chemsaf_0-1609104495692.png

Here is the folder/file

chemsaf_1-1609104595062.png

Perhaps you can see something I am doing wrong.

Neal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you take the screen shot of the Windows File Explorer window with LrC Open or Closed?

I aks because there is a Lock file in that same folder and the lock file that LrC creates each time it is opened is supposed to be delete when it closes.

And the catalog that is currently open, as Shown in your first screen shot you included, is the one that is listed in the LrC preference in that same screen shot.

2020-12-27 18_34_25-original (1920×1080).png

2020-12-27 18_35_52-original (1920×1080).png

Please look at whatever desktop icon you are using to Open LrC and Right click on it sna select Properties.

On the Shortcut tab it should point to whatever folder LrC is installed to. Like this.

2020-12-27 18_42_42-Inbox - Gmail Edc45 - Mozilla Thunderbird.png

Mine points to my D drive as that is where LrC is installed (Bottom Red Rectangle) and to Lightroom.exe (Top Red Rectangle). Both of those lines gives the full path.

Your should pointing at your C drive but the last part should also be Lightroom.exe. Is that where the shortcut you are using is point to or is it pointing to a file that ends in .lrcat?

PLease post a screen shot of it like mine above.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
chemsaf AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. LRC is open. The locked files are closed when LRC is closed.

Here is a screen shot of the message I get when I open LRC via the exe file.

The paths on the properties are as yours, except for C/D drives.

chemsaf_0-1609123922005.png

I think the app is corrupt. I am on a very slow web connection at this time. I will have good high speed connectivity Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning. I will uninstall and clean my SSD of the LRC app, I will make a back up of the catalog on a jump drive in case it is deleted or damaged. I can reinstall my plugins etc.

I do not see any other options at this point.

Thank you

Neal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make sure you do not delete any of the Catalog Files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
chemsaf AUTHOR LATEST
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just shoot me ...

Uninstalled everything associated with LRC. Reinstaled via Creative Cloud Desktop. Only had to reset my preferences and set my work catalog as the default and - presto - it works.

A faulty install seems to be the culprit.

Thank you for yur help.

Sta healthy and get vaccinated.

Neal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines