• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic 10 - prints via Pixma Pro-100 suddenly have green color casting

Participant ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Longtime LR and Pixma Pro printer user. I often make b/w prints and color accuracy has always been on point with my Pixma no matter the type of paper or color/black&white. I've never messed with the color profile settings because I've never needed to. Fast forward to today, I recently upgraded to LR 10 and was disturbed to see a major green color tint to all the 13x19 prints I ran through my Pixma Pro 100 (via USB connection). The black and white prints are most heavily affected. In addition to heavy green tint they seem to be slightly overexposed. 

Other details:

- When I print using Preview app it seems to neutralize the green cast mostly, but it still seems strangely overexposed. Should color settings affect exposure also on a b/w image?  

- I usually have the profile managed by computer and in computer settings

- In print dialogue I usually have Canon Color Mathcing selected. I tried ColorSync which seemed to slightly improve the results. Why it would improve only slightly has me baffled.

- Running LR 10 and Big Sur on iMac Pro

- Generating PDF within print dialogue works fine like usual. It's only when file is printed

- I popped all the inks out and back in

- I've toggled "black and white prints" for the b/w ones. No difference

- I use this printer heavily for years and had the Pro-9000 before, never having an issue like this. 

- When I opened LR print module I got a series of strange dialogue boxes and kept popping up. See attached graphic. Maybe this could be related??

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get prints running again!

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Just to follow up, finally arrived at solution and didn't have to do with Lr, although interesting to note how different applications use the ratio of inks differently to print the exact same image file. 

In a sentence, PhotoMagenta and LightGrey catridges both had tiny bits of the plastic packaging (orange tab) that usually pulls off with the rest, entirely resolving the issue by removing.

What's most strange is that it didn't seem an OS issue since my laptop, not yet on Big Sur, mimicked the "g

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.

2020-11-19 10_13_55-Pasting images into posts - Adobe Support Community - 11608749.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no idea, thanks for the heads up. Image inserted below

png.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens often as the Big Box at the bottom of the Post to Community text entry window Draws New users to it and they Attach image files instead of inserting them inline with the text.

Not your fault.

Thanks for the correction.

I think this is a Printer problem and or Driver and OS problem. You're using a Mac, correct?

Is it running the newest MacOS Big Sur (BS for short)? Have you tried updating (Upgrading) the printer drivers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem like a printer problem and not isolated to Lr however after trying every conceivable combination of settings I was able to may the problem go away simply by selecting "plain paper." When plain paper is selected I get perfectly normal prints, but in Lr Classic it doesn't matter what paper type I select, the results are green. 

Yes, running the latest OS (BS, that's a good one!) and recently upgaded driver to File version: 16.50.0.0 and problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if possible, please share a screen capture of your print settings from Lr and the print driver? It sounds as though you might have two competing color management systems operating. What do you have listed under Profile in the Print module?

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I have screen captures of settings and prints themselves inserted below. I figured since the issue persists outside of Lightroom that tinkering with the Lr print settings won’t stop the problem in Acrobat or Preview but I included a screenshot of those settings, including the list of profiles, which I've never messed with. 

I have more updates from further troubleshooting and results lack consistency to the extent I’m left with little confidence as to what the problem could be. 

I also have a Macbook Pro running Catalina (10.15.7) and Lr Classic 9 so seemed natural to troubleshoot with and the first print worked perfectly. The problem seemed isolated to my iMac Pro with Big Sur at this point. Then I ran a larger 13x19 print and back to green b/w image... 

I tried printing in different applications (Preview had better results but issue still persists), different computers, wifi and USB connected, all paper sizes, ‘b/w photo print” checked and unchecked, all with no luck. 
I tried using standard settings that have always worked in the print dialogue, as well as tinkering with Color Matching options. Worth noting that some prints seem to have a heavier green tint than others, especially the few that printed via Preview nearly but not quite black&white images, however more recent tests show more of the mint green that are affecting all the prints. 
I checked ink levels, popped them all out and back in, cleaned headers, test printed and swatches look fine (although possibly slightly tinted and I can’t tell)
Then I updated the print driver which i believe was out of date and the problem seemed to go away! (It’s currently File version: 16.50.0.0, see screenshot). After the test prints I ran ten 4x6 shots and they looked perfect. Then another 10 and back to the green cast….
Completely lost with the lack of consistency. 
I’m a Canon Professional Services (CPS) member so I reached out and have a follow up with an Apple senior advisor Wed. so I'll follow up if I get updates from those ends. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 2.03.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-21 at 2.03.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-21 at 2.05.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-21 at 2.18.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-21 at 2.19.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed response. I might have missed the information, but what paper are you using? I ask because I have found that I achieve the best results when having Lightroom apply a Profile and thus having the application and no the printer handle color management. You have the right idea of choosing the profile that corresponds to your paper and printer.

warmly/j

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 3.28.34 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-12-21 at 3.29.18 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joseph,

I'm using a combination of matte, glossy and now mostly plain paper for the tests. I selected the corresponding paper to the one I was using (all photo paper is Canon) however the tint is so extremely green, that this should have nothing to do with the printer accounting for whatever brightness level the paper is. 

That being said, I've tried as many combinations of settings as possible to trouble shoot and one setting seems to most consistenly make prints "normal" again by simply selecting "plain paper." The prints are entirely normal in non-Lr Classic apps as long as I select plain paper in print dialogue. However this is NOT the case for Lr classic which will print green no matter what I do. 

Still baffled but it's at least a very crude workaround to get some xmas prints out in the meantime. 

Thanks for your help and time, it's really appreciated!

Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what the prints look like -- keep in mind that my iPhone is adjusting the tint of the shot to account for all the green but  the warmer/magenta-ish shot in the center look b/w in person. After a few came out looking normal, printing from the Macbook Pro started casting green prints like the iMac Pro 

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 2.42.17 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-12-21 at 2.42.34 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to follow up, finally arrived at solution and didn't have to do with Lr, although interesting to note how different applications use the ratio of inks differently to print the exact same image file. 

In a sentence, PhotoMagenta and LightGrey catridges both had tiny bits of the plastic packaging (orange tab) that usually pulls off with the rest, entirely resolving the issue by removing.

What's most strange is that it didn't seem an OS issue since my laptop, not yet on Big Sur, mimicked the "green cast" issue. Likewise it didn't seem hardware related since printing the same image from Lr, Acrobat, Preview, all yielded different intensities of green and simply indicating "plain paper" had completely solved the issue. 

I've gone through a couple hundred Canon CLI-42 catridges and usually the orange tabs pull off with the packaging. Lesson learned is double check to make sure they're removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!  Those little orange plastic tabs were the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines