Highlighted

LR Classic 9.2 keeps freezing / hangs when using spot removal

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I realise this has been asked many times before but I still can't seem to find a fix. When using spot removal the program freezes / hangs for a very long time. Fans run wild and computer starts over heating. Somebody on this forum had mentioned fans running at full capicity was normal when being pushed by these demanding prrograms but they didn't offer any suggestions with this particular problem. I've recently resubscribed to Adobe Cloud and I think in the past few years I'd rolled back to an older version of LR beacuse of this same issue and it had helped significantly but can not remember which one and whether this would help again. 

MacOS High Sierra (Clean Install)

Version 10.13.6 

16GB RAM

1 TB Hard Drive with 891 GB available.

Any help would be appriciated,

Thanks

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

LR Classic 9.2 keeps freezing / hangs when using spot removal

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I realise this has been asked many times before but I still can't seem to find a fix. When using spot removal the program freezes / hangs for a very long time. Fans run wild and computer starts over heating. Somebody on this forum had mentioned fans running at full capicity was normal when being pushed by these demanding prrograms but they didn't offer any suggestions with this particular problem. I've recently resubscribed to Adobe Cloud and I think in the past few years I'd rolled back to an older version of LR beacuse of this same issue and it had helped significantly but can not remember which one and whether this would help again. 

MacOS High Sierra (Clean Install)

Version 10.13.6 

16GB RAM

1 TB Hard Drive with 891 GB available.

Any help would be appriciated,

Thanks

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 18, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off to see if that affects the symptoms. (The GPU typically provides significant speeds only for 4K displays and larger.)  You're on an OS with graphics drivers that are at least two years old (and a GPU that's probably much older).  LR pushes the limits on GPUs, using them in ways much different than games and video, and it's often tripping over the myriad bugs in the drivers.

Also, I suggest you post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions: 
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info.  Provide all the details, rather than linking back to this thread -- experience shows that Adobe developers tend not to follow the links.

Lots of people have report performance problems, and though it's not that likely Adobe could provide an immediate solution for you, the bug reports help the developers identify and prioritize issues.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply much appreciated. I'll have to try and buy a new computer in the near future amongst all the camera gear I need. I do work with big files at times and theres no way I'll be able to afford a Mac with all the bells and whistles required to accomodate them as well as the more involved editing I'm getting into. It'll drive be insane having to revert to a Windows desktop but such is life. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This type of freezing when doing local adjustments (spot removal, brushing) definitely has been reported before, and is made worse by large image files and high resolution monitors (4K and larger). If you have a 4K or larger monitor, you might try, as an experiment, replacing it with a 1920x1080 monitor.

Other things you can try:

• Turn off the Graphics Processor in Lightroom
  • Do the brushing/spot healing in Photoshop

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually always used a 1920x1080 monitor so just as well. I'll have to turn off the GPU once again seeing I've reinstalled the MacOS and see how I go. Agree with the PS suggestion, just didn't want to be going back and forth but it's probably the best solution at this point. Thanks for your reply.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your monitor is 1920x1080, there's no point in turning on the GPU acceleration, it slows down brushing and spot removal, but adds no benefit. So turn it off.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 1