Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lr Classic 9.2 local adjustment tools drop when left mouse button released

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr9.2 Classic Windows 10.

When applying any of the three local adjustment tools, I see the adjustments being applied, but as soon as I release the left mouse button, both the adjustment and the pin disappear.

This seems to happen on larger raw files from newer cameras
On my Olympus OM-D E-M1ii local adjustments fail on all raw files
E-M5ii Some files fail local adjustments
On my older E-5 and E-510 camera raw files, the adjustments work.
TIF, PSD and JPEGs all accept the local adjustments.

When this happened before (twice) I reset the catalogue to an earlier back up, but I don't want to keep doing this.

I have tried turning graphics card on Auto and Off , no change.
I have cleaned the 30GB of cache, no change.
I have optimised the catalogue, no change.

16GB of RAM and AMD A10 quad core processor on my computer.  Plenty of space on my various hard drives. NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 710 2GD3H LP Graphics Card

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of mouse are you using? Some of the Logitec drivers seem to be tempermental according to some reports.

Try the new 9.2.1 release of LR and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ManiacJoe,

Yes, sorry, I am on 9.2.1. I started writing this before the update a few days ago, and then forgot to change the post title.

When the problem first started it was on 9.2 before the update. It is still occurring after it.

The problem persists if I use my usual mouse, an Easterntimes T7 USB wired gaming mouse (which I have for ergonomics), I changed this after the problem started,  or my Wacom tablet with the mouse unplugged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the Pin not showing what is the "Show Edit Pins:" set to? Set it to "Always". Do they now disappear?

This is not happening to me with any of the local adjustments tools.

Show us a Screen Shot of what you are seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image before Applying Adjustment toolImage before Applying Adjustment toolScreenshot showing tool being applied and the mouse button held down. I have exaggerated an adjustment to illustrateScreenshot showing tool being applied and the mouse button held down. I have exaggerated an adjustment to illustrateScreenshot after I released the mouse button. The pin and the adjustment has disappearedScreenshot after I released the mouse button. The pin and the adjustment has disappeared

That was a challenge! Print screen to get a screenshot does not work with the left mouse held down.  I had to use the snipping tool with the delay to get these.

The first screenshot shows the gradient tool active but not applied. The second shows the gradient tool being applied while the mouse button is still held down. The third screenshot shows the screen immediately after the release of the left mouse button. As you can see, the pin and the associated adjustment have disappeared.

The same happens with the radial filter and the brush tools. But only on large raw files.

Windows has just updated and no change there. I am in the process if downloading a new graphics driver directly from NVIDIA to see if that will make a difference.

I have been using Lightroom since LR4 and have never come across this issue.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics card is now updated and the fault persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, I have just created some DNG copies of the original raw files and the adjustment tools don't drop out when I apply the adjustment to them. (I don't want to convert all my raw files to DNG!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things.

Try turning the GPU option off and test.

What exact camera and RAW files and how large are they, MBs and Pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I had missed this reply.
I had tried turning the GPU option off, one of the early fault-finding things I did. No luck with that.

The raw files that all fail are from an Olympus O-MD E-M1  Mark II, ORF raw files. approx 20.4 MP (5184 x 3888)  16 MB raw files

The other camera is an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II. 16.1 MP,

Further information, if I open the images directly from Windows Explorer, so it opens in Photoshop 2020 Adobe Camera Raw plugin, the tools work okay.

I had for a month or so a Sony A7ii, which had a larger pixel count, around 24 MP and about 24 MB. The adjustment tools work okay on that.

Thanks for your continuing support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Above, you wrote: "When this happened before (twice) I reset the catalogue to an earlier back up, but I don't want to keep doing this."  If this is still the case, then it's possible your catalog is corrupt in some way.

As a test, can you create a new catalog containing a few dozen of the files you've been having trouble with. As an alternative to creating a new catalog you could select a few dozen of the files in the existing catalog, then Export as Catalog from File menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As above "IF you keep having problems with your current working catalog and going to a Backup of that catalog fixes it" then your current working catalog is being corrupted in some way.

This leads me to think you have a hardware problem with your computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked all drivers are up to date the manufacturers. (Not Windows.)
Scan disk has checked all my hard drives.
I don't have the issue using the catalog with On1.

To my thinking, this wouldn't really explain why the fault only occurs with Olympus .ORF raw files. 

Just imported photos I shot this morning with my E-M5ii. Amazingly, the fault didn't occur.

Went back to an earlier image with the fault and it was still failing. Reset this image's develop settings in and tried to apply the adjustment tool and the tool worked okay. This is a good step forward, and I can work with that. But it means I will have to reset any image I want to work on.

Still baffled why it is happening, but at least I have a workaround, even if it is not perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't there some type of Dual Pixel system, or something, in the Olympus system?

IIRC that doesn't play well with LR or ACR. Not sure but I do remember reading something, incompatibility, about Olympus and LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a high resolution shooting mode, that produces huge images by taking multiple shots but shifting the sensor. I don't use that though. No idea if it upsets Lightroom, never heard of that.

I've been using LR since v4 and never had any issues. Just checked in an Olympus Facebook group and none of those replying had the same fault. It's very odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a good plan, Ian. I'll give it a go later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom misbehaves it's always worth checking whether resetting the preference file resolves the issue. Therefore, if you have already done so I would recommend that you try resetting the preference file as decribed in Method 1 in this linked Adobe Help document https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that suggestion, Ian. Tried it, but still does not work. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though this is failing while in develop module, and one would think you are seeing a preview via Camera RAW CACHE, have you tried exiting Lightroom Classic, deleting the library previews, then restarting lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In History, does the adjustment brush show up as a history state?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, Thanks for the good suggestion. Alas, it didn't work.

The history only shows one application of any one tool no matter how many times I apply it. If I switch from, say, the radial tool to the gradient, the one unsuccessful application of the gradient tool shows up, but if I switch back to the radial and try to apply it, then that doesn't appear in the history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not reproduce your error on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines