Not to beat a dead horse but why did Adobe not offer just

LR Classic subscription by itself as another option

instead of bundling it with Photoshop? There are thousands of

Lightroom users that have no need for or desire to learn

Photoshop but would happily move to subscription

just for Lightroom at a reduced price.  I would not be surprised

if Adobe did A/B testing it would not bear this out.  I can do anything I want

with just Lightroom without  a need for Photoshop.  If you need Photoshop

also to traverse back and forth and are a power user then up your subscription.

It does not seem very principled to use non Photoshop

users to subsidize LR/Photoshop combo users in their

subscription pricing model if you subscribe to LR Classic CC

and just need Lightroom.  Photoshop came first and for those

users it is a no brainer from a subscription perspectine.  Edit

in Photoshop if you like  and catalog in Lightroom...best of both worlds

perhaps. 

What am I missing?

Is  Adobe just waiting until a competitor can import the lr.cat

file into their offering coupled with an adequate file structure

before offering such an option to keep just LR users from 

jumping ship?  The ship will have already left the dock if

that is even a remote stragety

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention my error in referencing LR Classic CC.  I am

actually meaning the version wereby you do not need to park

your pics in the cloud.  They stay on your hard drive.  Sorry for

the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "CC" version anymore. There is Lightroom and there is Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Classic is the version that stores images locally on the computer hard drive and utilizes a local catalog. One of the advantages of bundling Lightroom Classic with Photoshop is that there are a number of things that are much easiier to accomplish with Photoshop. Many users of Lightroom often turn to Photoshop to accomplish tasks that are difficult  or simply cannot be accomplished using Lightroom alone. It's a good package and a good combination in my opinion. And I don't think offering Lightroom Classic alone would feasibly allow Adobe to lower the price substantially from what it is already and still make the cloud program viable to offer from a company standpoint. However, that is only my point of view. I don't work for Adobe, don't know any Adobe employees, don't have any connection to Adobe whatsoever. So arguing with me isn't going to accomplish anything because I don't know anything at all about the company or its pricing structure. Again, what I have stated is only my opinion.

As a user of Lightroom Classic, I will state that I do most of my photo editing using Classic. But on the occasion when I need Photoshop I'm always glad that I have it available. There are some things that are just easier to accomplish using Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The answer is basically that you are already getting a very reduced price, whether you use Photoshop or not.

If you look at the single-app subscription pricing for most other major Creative Cloud applications, such as InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, any of those are $20.99 a month. For just one of them. For some reason there is a single-app plan for Photoshop, and it is also $20.99/month.

It’s not clear why it's that way, I’m not sure if Adobe has publicly said why they make the Photography Plan such a deal at $10/month for multiple applications, or half the price of most of the other single-app plans. Because users in other disciplines are feeling very left out. Graphic designers have asked why they can’t have a deal with InDesign and Illustrator for $10/month. Video editors want to know why they can’t have Premiere Pro and After Effects for $10/month. Web designers ask why they can’t have Dreamweaver and XD for $10/month. With most of those applications, if you want two you must pay $42/month for two single-app plans, or go straight to the all-apps plan for $53/month.

But you get to use Lightroom Classic for only $10/month.

It doesn’t seem likely that Adobe will lower the price further, since Lightroom Classic is already one of the cheapest subscriptions they offer, even as part of a bundle. $5 is probably not going to happen. And if they break Lightroom Classic out of the bundle to sell alone, chances are you will pay the same current price for subscribing to Photoshop alone: $21/month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines