• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic CC 7.0.1 Still Slow

Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded my LR to the latest Classic CC v7.0.1.  I was encouraged to read the description that said Adobe had made many performance improvements.  But alas, LR is still PAINFULLY slow.  In fact, it may actually be worse.  I'm running on on 2 year old 27" iMac with 4Ghz i7 processor, 32GB of RAM, and AMD Radeon R9 M395X graphics co-processor with 4Gb of memory.  This should not be a slow machine. 

How about others who have upgraded?  Better or worse performance? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is that since the upgrade it's so slow as to be almost unusable. I have a similar set up to you. Adobe - get your act together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I have the same situation.  Classic is running painfully slow on my Macbook (2.8 GHz i7, 16GB ram).  I downloaded the 2015 version and did a side by side comparison with Classic.  The differences was obvious.  With Classic my computer is constantly churning away, frequently shows the dreaded spinning beach ball and has lag that is driving me crazy.  Using LR 2015 with the same photo and the same tools has some lag but the computer doesn't sound like it's going to take off and there are no spinning beach ball.

This is a big disappointment.  I like some of the new features in Classic but my workflow is more like work-sludge.

I'm sure some users are happy but I'm not one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a lot of sludge like slowness after upgrading but then decided to wipe the camera raw cache and to have the machine build standard previews for everything. That took about a full day for my >100k images and now my speed is back. Not really any faster than LR2015 was but at least not dreadfully slow with constant beach balling. My main machine is a 2012 MacBook Pro with i7 processors and 16 gigs internal and a 1TB SSD so no speed demon but has worked very well for many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao - thanks for your reply and suggestion.  Currently, my cache is about 1/3 full, which I would think should not be the cause of any problems.  However, if the problem persists, I may try to purge the cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd definitely try purging it. I've had strange issues fixed by doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OBE LR CC/Classic.  DO NOT UPGRADE or PURCHASE.

Hello, I  have seen major performance degradation since upgrading to Lightroom Classic 7.0.1 ala Mac Sierra 10.12.6.  Not even going to post me machine specs here, because I can confidently say they are adequate.

I'm a real estate photographer, and I've been a pro user since Lightroom 3.  The most prominent increase in performance I noticed was the ability to create many HDR's at once.  Better memory allocation to that task I suppose.  However, overall the product has more degradations than improvements.  I've been working all weekend to kick out a simple shoot that generally takes six hours to produce. Most of the time wasted trying to get LR to work as it should.

Here is a list of performance issues I've experienced.

1. Import issues:  File corruption, and very degraded speed.

2. Micro Lagtime between mouse movement and cursor on the screen, while in develop mode.

3. Inconsistent behavior when creating panos and hdrs.  The new file created sometimes ends up at the end of the files sometimes placed with the originals.

4. WB/Temperature seems off.

5. Lens correction always needs more correcting.

6. Is it me or has anyone else notice more noise issues than usual?

7. Just switching images in the filmstrip (dev. Mode) is painfully slow.

8. The forums are reporting the same info. But Adobe is taking little action to improve.

NOW may be the time to forever ditch LR.  Adobe is now on my official "It Sucks" list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same experience here... It just gets slower and slower until it basically stops working and you have to restart the program. And it just SLAMS the memory. Adobe you NEEEEEEEED to fix this NOW!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having a painfully slow experience with LR since the upgrade. I have a Mac that is more than capable of handling LR (only about 2 yrs old). It takes so long for my raw camera files to upload, then it takes so long for the previews and then slow for the develop mode. That's TRIPLE SLOW ADOBE!!! This has really slowed my speed in processing the hundreds of photos I've just shot for a Santa photoshoot. The parents are being patient but I'm not! PLEASE FIX THIS NOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly believe that this is NOT A PRIORITY for ADOBE. 

They'd rather invest manhours in determining how to more efficiently squeeze money out of the marketplace consumers they now monopolize.

Most of the issues will be fixed in the next release but not before.  Not cost expedient.

IMHO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this version of Lightroom, while initially a little quicker, slows down to useless over the course of an editing session.

My catalogues are tiny - I create separate  catalogues for each job. I have a 40gb cache on a separate drive. I have tried smart previews, 1:1 previews... the list goes on.

As I type this, to switch between photos shot on a Canon 5DmkIV in develop view 5-7 secs. Move the exposure slider and wait for a repsonse 3-4 secs. Undo the slider move, 7-8 secs.

Restart Lightroom and it's good for a little bit, then back to slow again shortly after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as a Lightroom user since ver 4, I haven't had ANY performance issues, AND my computer is rather old now - using a PENTUIM chip duel processor! (2010) (Not to mention having an old GPU Geforce 210, and Lightroom runs the GPU without issues!) So, I really don't understand people's performance issues! However, speed is relative. What is fast for one person is slow for another! (I will add though, the changes of module, changes in Dev module etc. are not instantaneous. Should we expect all changes to be instant?) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to give you a sense of my problems. It can take 5-10 seconds to mark a few images in the grid. LR goes unresponsive until that action is finished.

I am now adding captions to thousand images from last night shoot. a 2 min job now takes 15-30 minutes ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - i've been using the create suite for photographers for the past 4 years and i'm extremely unhappy and very disappointed with this terribly snail-slow Lightroom!! How dare you break it - i'm at least 2 weeks behind with my work now - i've tried everything, purging my cache, increasing memory size, optimizing, moving my libraries and edit-locations to my local SSD drive! I pay a lot of money every month for this software and it's terrible! Please do something asap about this!

I run it on a iMac with 16Gb of memory - before the update everything worked just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all of this too...(and run on an iMac w/16Gb) Once I have all my photos loaded and all the thumbnails have been made, it does go a little quicker. LR is still a GREAT product for editing and I will continue to use it, but I'm so hoping they will fix this speed problem fast!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Im down to restarting LR 20-30 times a day now.... Feeling great PAYING FOR THIS GARBAGE KIND OF SHIT!!!! A LITTLE MAINTENANCE ASAP ADOBE!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

After upgrading to LR CC Classic the software is almost unusable in the develop module.

I'm a wedding photographer, I have to postproduce more than 800 pics a time, my workflow is now 3 times (or even more) slow.

this is unacceptable by Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same boat, performance quickly degrades after you open up lightroom. So now the workflow is edit for 5 minutes until it becomes unusable, then, restart lightroom. Repeat. How did this get past the QA?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 6000 images to rate and cull from a recent trip to Vietnam. It takes around 2 seconds to switch images even with pre-generated previews, a fast computer and 32 gigs of memory. That means I'd be spending half a day just waiting for each image to load.

Time to start seriously looking for alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Irate  wrote

I have 6000 images to rate and cull from a recent trip to Vietnam. It takes around 2 seconds to switch images even with pre-generated previews, a fast computer and 32 gigs of memory. That means I'd be spending half a day just waiting for each image to load.

Time to start seriously looking for alternatives.

Are you rating and culling in the Library module or the Develop module?

If in the Develop switch to the Library module for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines