• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic CC File Folder Creation on Datadrive and Moving Photos to Newly Created Folder

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to make permanent hard drive directory structure changes. I went to appropriate folder on datadrive and created new folder. I then tried moving a file to the new location, and get below error message.

Moving a File on Disk

"This will cause the corresponding file on disk to be moved. If you proceed, neither this move nor any change you've made prior to this can be undone."

I tried a sample photo, and THEY MEAN IT! The tint change was wiped out. Metadata I had previously input however was intact.

So, am I doing something wrong? Should I make these structural changes outside of LR? I thought it was preferred to do this in LR, but I don't want to lose other mods in the process. I'm on WIN 10 btw.

Suggestions appreciated,

Jeff

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does "tint change" have to do with anything?

I don't think the message is a worrisome as you do. Nevertheless, it is my opinion that major moves of folders and files are best done in your operating system, following the instructions in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" of this document.

Furthermore, you should separate the move of folders/photo to a different drive from the task of re-organizing. Do one, make sure you have done it correctly, and only then do the other one.

It is also my opinion that re-organizing folders is a sub-optimal use of time, that you'd be better off using Lightroom Classic tools (keywords and other metadata) to achieve better organization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DC,

I'm on your side here. I strongly prefer a folder structure for my images even though they mean nothing to Lightroom. I strongly prefer a good folder structure AND a good keyword use to help me both find things as well as locate things. I think arguments on this is like trying to figure out which is the more interesting sport.

Whatever works for you use it.

Here's Terry White showing how to move files within LR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9B0lq6GJZc

You are correct that moving folders that LR is using outside of LR is asking for trouble. Yes, you can recover but why have to repair your actions after the fact as opposed to avoid having to repair things. 

Now, on to your problem: A tint change implies that some instruction about that image was changed or lost. Can you supply a screenshot?

Good luck!

Adobe Evangelist Terry White is here to show you how to safely move your photos to another hard drive in Lightroom Classic CC. This method will always ensure that Lightroom knows where your photos are and that you don't end up with the dreaded "?" for missing folders and images. Follow me on ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Gary

Thanks for the quick response. I am not a photographer. I'm using LR for genealogical purposes so directory structure is very important.

As for the tint thing, I only mentioned that because moving the file wiped out a mod on the sample pic. I just don't want that to happen to my other images.

Also, to be clear, I'm not moving files to a different drive. I'm only creating a new folder, in the LR Folders Panel, and moving files from old folder to new.

Thanx in advance,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah yes, Lightroom is a fantastic program for genealogical purposes. I have some 2000 images in my "Family" folder.

Yes, you are correct, if you're just creating new folders and moving images from one to the other, it is best to do that in Lightroom-Classic. 

Here's a tip: Lets say you're looking at (say) a dozen images in Folder A and you want to move them to a newly created folder in Folder B. While those images remain selected, right-click on Folder B and select "Create new folder in Folder B" In the new window that pops up, there is a checkbox option to move selected images to this new folder. HOWERVER, be careful on this because this option is sticky and if you do the same thing but do not want the selected image(s) be moved to the new folder, if this box is checked, they will be moved and doing "Undo" does not do anything.

The good thing about Folders is that it allows you to quickly see an "event" such as a wedding. the good thing about keywords is that if you want to find all of the images with "Aunt Zelda," Keywords is the way to go. It gives you the power of both approaches.

BTW, if you haven't already, do turn on facial recognition: at the very beginning it will be comically wrong with occasional right guesses. But as you continue, it will get better and better. Worth doing becuase the names will be added to Keywording and this is a fast way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines