• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic CC slow as death

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After an unusable experience with LR CC last year, I've been continuing to use LR5 which has been responsive, speedy, and usable, although it means I have to forgo the more recent additions to the program (better straightening for architecture, etc). With the recent update to LR Classic CC, I thought the performance issues must have been solved so decided to give it a try with the new year. I updated the program, started a new catalog, and imported my most recent job. I'm horrified that it is giving me the same issues as before - possibly worse. LR Classic CC can't even keep up with me sorting through the shoot!

My first step is always to go through the photos in the Library module and rate them. This is a simple step that shouldn't use too much processing power, yet this version of the program starts to lag before I'm even 100 photos in. I'm seeing spinning beach balls after 20 photos, even after restarting the program and restarting the computer. This is consistent with what I'm reading from others in the forums.

Adobe, why have you forsaken your pro users? Do you WANT us to cancel our subscriptions and go to ON1? We bought into the subscription system with the promise that this type of issue would be dealt with more quickly because they money would be flowing in reliably and the company could adapt the programs more quickly to the needs of the users. There are now YEARS of complaints about this lagging issue and there has been no communication from Adobe about the issue, how to solve it, or what the timeline is to solve this issue on the company's end. I've been reading suggestions like "don't use the brush tool" which is ridiculous, since the reason I pay for LR is to have multiple tools at my fingertips without having to go into PS just to touch out a bit of lint on a shirt.

Adobe, if you can't make LR usable for pro users on desktop computers, you need to let us buy/subscribe to programs on an individual basis, instead of forcing us to rent programs that don't work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

From the Drop-down menu beside the Identity plate- top/left of screen.

ScreenShot019.jpg

Lots of good info here also- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom/performance/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Counter rant!

I've used Lr (now Classic) since day one.

Used it on a Windows Vista system.

Used it on a Windows 7 system

Used it on a Windows 10 Pro system

Used now on 2 Mac IOS 10.13.2 systems

I have NEVER experienced it running slow. Not once!

If, as you infer, Adobe puts out bad code, we would all have bad code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hinina is not alone in slow performance. I too have used LR since day one and the performance on a new loaded iMac has been dismal. I am not ready to get off LR but sure would like the performance improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment. I'm jealous that you have had the experience that I expected each time I try LR CC. Can you tell me the specs on your Mac systems and the LR settings you have set up?

Also, can you tell me what your workflow is? I can't imagine I am working faster than the program can handle, but I have also watched people work at a much slower pace than I do. I know that if I worked at a much much slower pace, I wouldn't run into the slowdown as often, but sadly, my clients expect fast results.

I want such an awesome program to work right "out of the box," as it were, but if there is a magic combo of settings & specs that work, I'm willing to go there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If, as you infer, Adobe puts out bad code, we would all have bad code."

Has anyone done a study to compare systems--hardware plus software configuration--that experience the slowdown versus those that don't?  There must be one or more common elements that cause the slowdown in some systems--both PC and Mac.  Since we all have the same LR code, that's a variable that can be ignored, right?

Just curious (and not trying to pick a fight).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree! There are more than enough of us, with systems that meet & exceed the requirements, that there must be some element in common that can be identified and solved. I haven't seen any comparisons or analyses that do this work, and unfortunately I don't have the time to cull the info from various forums and threads myself. Maybe Adobe can do this work and update their system requirements page in order to give a better user experience through managed expectations?

The really frustrating thing is that LR 5 continues to work beautifully for me, while LR CC has always been slow, so they must have changed something but there are no indications of what LR CC is doing that LR 5 didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 introduced- Face Recognition and  GPU Acceleration. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/10-years-lightroom/

Ever since then "turn off GPU acceleration" in the Preferences has been a common forum 'Fix' for slow Lightroom.

And I think Adobe are still trying to code it so it 'works' with various graphic cards and GPU Driver software..

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to turn off Face Recognition? I can see how that would definitely slow down my processes, and it's a useless feature for me. (I have GPU acceleration turned off, but it hasn't solved my problem.)

Never mind, just checked and I already have it turned off. I was so hoping that would be the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Drop-down menu beside the Identity plate- top/left of screen.

ScreenShot019.jpg

Lots of good info here also- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom/performance/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used lightroom for 15+ years, different laptops, different platforms and it was always slow for me. Sometimes it's unexplicably slow in its core functions. If there's one thing consitent in Lightroom over the years, it's the sloweness. The product has basically the same features as the one over a decade ago, processors got way faster and Lr got slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And I would like to report the opposite, that Lightroom 2 through 6 and Lightroom Classic 7 through 10.3 have always responded almost instantaneously, with hardly ever a performance issue.

Although some people do report the slowness that was stated by @michałn24382346 , many people do not have that problem. To me, this indicates that the problem is either the local computer, or the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hinina  wrote

After an unusable experience with LR CC last year, I've been continuing to use LR5 which has been responsive, speedy, and usable, although it means I have to forgo the more recent additions to the program (better straightening for architecture, etc). With the recent update to LR Classic CC, I thought the performance issues must have been solved so decided to give it a try with the new year. I updated the program, started a new catalog, and imported my most recent job. I'm horrified that it is giving me the same issues as before - possibly worse. LR Classic CC can't even keep up with me sorting through the shoot!

My first step is always to go through the photos in the Library module and rate them. This is a simple step that shouldn't use too much processing power, yet this version of the program starts to lag before I'm even 100 photos in. I'm seeing spinning beach balls after 20 photos, even after restarting the program and restarting the computer. This is consistent with what I'm reading from others in the forums.

Adobe, why have you forsaken your pro users? Do you WANT us to cancel our subscriptions and go to ON1? We bought into the subscription system with the promise that this type of issue would be dealt with more quickly because they money would be flowing in reliably and the company could adapt the programs more quickly to the needs of the users. There are now YEARS of complaints about this lagging issue and there has been no communication from Adobe about the issue, how to solve it, or what the timeline is to solve this issue on the company's end. I've been reading suggestions like "don't use the brush tool" which is ridiculous, since the reason I pay for LR is to have multiple tools at my fingertips without having to go into PS just to touch out a bit of lint on a shirt.

Adobe, if you can't make LR usable for pro users on desktop computers, you need to let us buy/subscribe to programs on an individual basis, instead of forcing us to rent programs that don't work.

We are not Adobe in this forum. We are other LR users, who have no control over the code or the performance of Lightroom. You need to address your comments directly to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment. I have addressed my experience directly to Adobe. I have also seen Adobe people in these forums and I assume they have a rough idea of the problems that get addressed in the forums, as a way to improve their products. I am hoping that by adding another stream of complaint about this issue, they will eventually try to fix it before it becomes a full-fledged river.

But thank you for commenting and adding more hits on this thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines