Highlighted

LR Classic does not appear as choice in "Open With" Mac, TIF file

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am posting this to Apple support forum also, but no responses from them yet. Posting here in case any insight...

I am running 10.14.6 on my Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). I have Photoshop 2020 and current Lightroom (CC subscriber and all up to date).
If I try to open a TIF file from finder, I click on the Open With option (from either context menu or File...Open with) nothing happens...I get a ghosted image "fetching" and it freezes. If I go back and forth with the Open With I can get the menu to open, but although Photoshop is there for a choice along with other programs including two versions of Safari (???), but no Lightroom. I have to choose "other" go into finder and then choose Lightroom.
I cannot figure out why it is freezing on the Open With nor why Lightroom does not appear as a choice nor do I see any way of editting the choices in the Open With.
Any help appreciated and TIA

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

LR Classic does not appear as choice in "Open With" Mac, TIF file

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am posting this to Apple support forum also, but no responses from them yet. Posting here in case any insight...

I am running 10.14.6 on my Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). I have Photoshop 2020 and current Lightroom (CC subscriber and all up to date).
If I try to open a TIF file from finder, I click on the Open With option (from either context menu or File...Open with) nothing happens...I get a ghosted image "fetching" and it freezes. If I go back and forth with the Open With I can get the menu to open, but although Photoshop is there for a choice along with other programs including two versions of Safari (???), but no Lightroom. I have to choose "other" go into finder and then choose Lightroom.
I cannot figure out why it is freezing on the Open With nor why Lightroom does not appear as a choice nor do I see any way of editting the choices in the Open With.
Any help appreciated and TIA

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will add that the behavior with JPGs and PSDs is normal, ie, Open With works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the above^^^

How would adobe know what I am going to choose if I highlight a tif file in finder and choose Open With?I may be choosing something not adobe at all

Sometimes, rarely, the Open With menu does open, but my only adobe choice is PS and I have to go to Choose Other, then I can open LrC with the tif.

Also, if I double click a tif, it opens in PS.

More specifics, and this may be helpful.

first, same behavior with nef files as with tif and

second, the behavior is sporadic, it doesn't always happen as described; ie, sometimes Open With shows ava apps, what I would describe as normal behavior.

IOW the behavior is not "always on." I wish I could see a trend or a pattern, but the only one I can see is as described in my original post.

I am digitizing negatives.

I have my camera tethered to LrC, so when I take the image it goes straight to LrC.

I convert it to a positive using Negative Lab Pro.

I then save the positive as a separate file, a tif. These images are in the same folder. After I do this I then rename the files, both the nef (nikon) and the tif, and move them to a different folder. It is, I think, from these newly created folders that I am trying to open with LrC.

If LrC has created the catalog for the original images, bith nef and tif, and then I move them, I could see how LrC would get "confused" not knowing where to look, not having a pre-existing catalog.

However, even going into the folder where the original image resides, ie before any name change or movement occurs, and choosing the nef--the one just taken with my tethered camera--or the converted and saved tif, I have the same problem.

And as I said above, confounding this is "sometimes" Open With WILL open.

I recognize that this may be an apple problem, or a ghost in the machine, or some conflict, but I appreciate y'all responding.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well sometimes it does work, but stop doing it. Lightroom Classic is designed to only open catalogs, and if you try to open a photo, you may get it to work sometimes but you run the risk of Lightroom Classic thinking its a catalog file and corrupting your photo. Stop doing it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding your "Tethering" workflow-

May I suggest this-

Don't 'Save' as a TIF from NLP.!

Instead use Lightroom-Classic to EXPORT as TIF after the NLP corrections to the NEFs.

Set the option to [Add to Catalog] and export to a  Sub-folder of the original NEFs.

Using this workflow you have no problems with creating folders manually, no problems trying to 'Open' files in LrC,  no necessity to 'Rename' files or folders, no necessity to 'Move' files or folders, all because the Preset automatically places the TIFs in a sub-folder of the NEFs and already indexes the TIFs in the Catalog.

An Export Preset will do all of this for you by selecting all the {NLP corrected NEFs} and clicking on the Preset.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige thanks for the warning and advice.

OK,

what would be a better procedure?

I am in Finder and there is a file I want to edit in LrC. Are you saying that instead of highlighting the file, then right clicking, choosing Open With...LrC...instead of doing that...

open LrC first then open the catalog I choose, likely a new one, then import (via LrC) the desired file into LrC? Or some other flow?

If I understand you correctly, LrC is not made/designed to "open" files for editing the way I have been trying, and I am running the risk of LrC corrupting a tif or a nef or any other file type, by asking LrC to open the file for editing in Lrc via the Open With context menu in Finder.

Is that a correct read?

I'm curious, and not doubting your advice at all (and I am going to follow it), but did you learn this through trial and error, is it written somewhere, "herd" knowledge, or what? I've been using LR for a few years, though admittedly not with tif files, but somehow that admonition escaped me.

Again thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WobertCThanks for the suggestion.

That's a good way of doing it, and right saves many steps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Open With... command in your operating system does not work with Lightroom Classic. Adobe has disabled this.

Photos have to be imported or synchronized into Lightroom Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only file LrC opens is the catalog. When you import images, in reality you are simply adding a record to the catalog showing where the images are located. When you import images using the import dialog, LrC transfers the images to your computer and add the record to the catalog, but LrC doesn't really "open" the image. It creates previews, stores all of your adjustments, and keeps track of everything you do with the image. But it doesn't ever do anything to the actual image.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 1