Highlighted

LR Classic Import filled drive

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just starting with LR Classic.

Installed on the C drive, all my photos are on a seperate drive.

When I imported photos, it filled the C drive since I don't have much room. 

Is there another way to do this?

Put the program in the Photo drive or ???

I appreciate any help here.

Thanks

Vic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

LR Classic Import filled drive

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just starting with LR Classic.

Installed on the C drive, all my photos are on a seperate drive.

When I imported photos, it filled the C drive since I don't have much room. 

Is there another way to do this?

Put the program in the Photo drive or ???

I appreciate any help here.

Thanks

Vic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can tell Lightroom to import photos to whatever local drive you have. This is done in the Destination section of the Import dialog box.

Photos already imported into Lightroom can be moved to another drive via these instructions (scroll down to Part 2 — Updating Folder Location) http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Paige said, is possible to change your folder location to another drive. It is actually recommended that you direct all your photo media to an external drive with plenty of space. Just make sure you also have a backup drive. Additionally, you can direct your media to the cloud* as well (Google Drive, iCloud, Onedrive or Dropbox Sync folder). Of course, depending on the cloud service you have, you still might have to have an external drive just to have instant access to sync media from the cloud. 

2020-03-12_9-50-20.jpg

Just remember, whenever you hit IMPORT, double check where your files are going. By default, it will store on your C: drive (Windows) or your primary Mac OS drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies.

So if I understand this right: I import a group of photos from say Drive F, the software "LR" is on C drive. So it physically brings those photos into LR on C drive. Once processed they are sent to F drive (as I have it set). I did not see a button that sends them there, is that automatic?

So once sent, are the photos still on the C drive in LR as well?

The goal here is to import, process and return to the F drive.

I cannot have the C drive load up in LR unless I use a larger drive on C or put LR on the F drive.

Am I making sense....

Thanks

Vic

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I understand this right: I import a group of photos from say Drive F, the software "LR" is on C drive. So it physically brings those photos into LR on C drive

if you use ADD when you import, the photos remain on the F drive, they never are placed on the C drive. If you use COPY when you import, the photos are sent to whatever drive and folder you specify under Destination; if that's a folder NOT on the C drive, the photos never get placed on the C drive. Lightroom does not physically bring photos onto the C drive, unless you tell it to do so (and by following the instructions to use ADD, or COPY to the F drive, it will not bring the photos onto the C drive, the photos remain on the F drive)

Once processed they are sent to F drive (as I have it set).

Nope. See above. Lightroom puts the photos where you tell it to put them.

The goal here is to import, process and return to the F drive.

A false goal. I think you want the photos to live their entire life on the F drive, which can be done via ADD or via COPY to the F drive when you Import. Then the photos stay of the F drive. They shouldn't be placed on the C drive. There's no "return" to the F drive. You don't want a workflow where photos move from here to there for no reason.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paige,

Great, this is starting to make sense.

So I see my F drive on the left with my file folders below it, use Add at the center top to import. To the right of that it has them going to "My Catalog". It is not actually moving them, it's for reference?

If I use the "Copy as DNG, Copy or Move", it shows it going to F drive in the upper right. Don't use that?

So the "Catalog" is just keeping reference on what it's working on?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your photos are not ever stored in the catalog. Lightroom uses the files on disk, wherever you told Lightroom to find them (along with preview files).

The choice of ADD, MOVE, COPY, COPY at DNG is entirely up to you, and where you want the photos to reside.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines