Highlighted

LR Classic is putting duplicate imports into a sub-folder, so they don't show up in my LR catalogue

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a strange issue in Lightroom Classic on CC.  I am running LR 9.2 on MacBook Pro  OS 10.14.6 (mojave).

I always duplicate imports into a second external drive. I specify a folder for it to go into, but do not seem to have any box checked that directs it to put it into a sub-folder.  However it ALWAYS (since February of this year) puts it into a sub-folder called "Imported on Month xx, 2020" 

It not only adds a layer that I don't want, the files I specify them to go into don't ever show up in the catalogue of that drive on LR, because it doesn't recognize that there are pictures in that folder (as there is another layer/sub-folder that actually contains the photos).

If I check the "Show sub-folders" box it will show me the files in the drive, but I still do not want the extra layer of sub-folders.

I also don't want the extra step of moving the image files up one level of folders for each import I make.  

Suggestions? Reset to Lightroom Defaults?

Thanks in advance, 

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Import and share, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

LR Classic is putting duplicate imports into a sub-folder, so they don't show up in my LR catalogue

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a strange issue in Lightroom Classic on CC.  I am running LR 9.2 on MacBook Pro  OS 10.14.6 (mojave).

I always duplicate imports into a second external drive. I specify a folder for it to go into, but do not seem to have any box checked that directs it to put it into a sub-folder.  However it ALWAYS (since February of this year) puts it into a sub-folder called "Imported on Month xx, 2020" 

It not only adds a layer that I don't want, the files I specify them to go into don't ever show up in the catalogue of that drive on LR, because it doesn't recognize that there are pictures in that folder (as there is another layer/sub-folder that actually contains the photos).

If I check the "Show sub-folders" box it will show me the files in the drive, but I still do not want the extra layer of sub-folders.

I also don't want the extra step of moving the image files up one level of folders for each import I make.  

Suggestions? Reset to Lightroom Defaults?

Thanks in advance, 

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Import and share, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 16, 2020 0
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Make a second Copy To: " Does not create folders that are intended for the Lr catalog. Nor should you normally try to Import from this Backup folder, or see it in the Catalog library.

It is only a 'safety net' feature should you have a failure of the Import process or the Import folder destination.

I would think that only a few people (relatively) use this 'feature' (me -never!) as it does not mimic or replicate the Folder structure of the Import- as you know. (it uses a dated folder!  "Imported on....")

If you want to use it- you must set the Second Copy folder in the Import dialog File Handling Panel- and make it to another hard-drive where you can ocassionally delete these "Imported on...." folders, like you would tidy up Catalog Backups that were unwanted.

ScreenShot029.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0