• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic on 27" iMac with Retina

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using LR Classic on a new 27" iMac with retina display (max resolution 5120x2880: "native" default resolution 2560x1440).  When I use the 100% display option, my photos appear the same size no matter whether I am in max resolution or default resolution.  Everything else looks much smaller in max resolution, but the photo image itself is the same size.  For example, I cropped an image to 2000x1500, and it displays as 9" on the long side whether I am in max or default resolution.  Since my monitor is about 23 inches wide, this would seem to be the proper size for max resolution, but only half the size for the default resolution.  My 2013 iMac worked differently - the image size changed when I changed screen resolution.  This would seem to have implications for what is 100% (i.e., 1:1) display when the screen resolution is less than max, and perhaps for image sharpness if I have to go to 200%.  Any thoughts on this (including whether I am correct in how LR works with retina displays) would be appreciated.  Thanks.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the "native" resolution is not actually changing the resolution in the way that older Macs did. Rather it tells apps you want everything scaled up. This is what most people prefer, because otherwise most apps, web pages etc. are too small. HOWEVER, with these newer Macs (so far as I can see), an app CAN say it wants access to the full device resolution. This is what Photoshop does, because Photographers are the key market for high resolution displays, and they want to be able to see the highest possible detail.  So, for most people and most apps, the resolution is "hobbled" so things look right, but Photoshop gives you what you paid for.

Most people now find that to view their Photoshop work at the same size it will appear in web sites, they need to zoom to 200%. This is just the new normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when my monitor is set to "default" (2560x1440), LR diplays my photo (but not the LR panels, etc) at the monitor's max resolution (5120x2880)?  If so, doesn't any photo less than 5120x1440 have to be upsized to greater than 1:1 to be displayed full screen at a potential loss of sharpness that comes with upsizing beyond 1:1?  Doesn't this mean that my old non-retina monitor (max 2560x1440) would be better for such photos?  I guess another way of phrasing this is, doesn't your "new normal" result in a polential loss of sharpness when displaying smaller images at 200%?  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Doubling size doesn't reduce sharpness any more than it does for all the other apps which automatically double size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines