• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic Organize when importing seems not to work properly and resets to 'By Date'

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I keep having problems with the import in Lightroom Classic. When I am in the import dialog, the destination keeps 'reverting' to 'By Date'. My workflow is like this :

I copy photo's from memory card to HD into a folder with an archive name (ie fotoarch_XXX).

This folder has subfolders with names of the subject or topic ( ie Family ).

In LR these files are copied to my LR NAS and a second copy is made to a backup NAS.

My LR NAS (and ackup NAS) should have the same folder organization as the ones I copy from.

The problems I have is, that in the Import module, my setting 'Organize by originalfolders' is working sometimes, but it changes for unknown reason to 'By Date' at a next import. When I try to use the 'Original Folders' option, it keeps adding the main folder name ( fotoarch_XXX ) under itself as a new folder. See the screenshots. And I can't make it work anymore. Besides this annoying issue, older versions of LR created the backup catalog the same as the main catalog however for some reason, this has changed and my backup catalog has now photo's added in folders sorted by date. As you can understand, this makes it very hard to restore the catalog in case of a disk failure, because photo's will be not in the same place.

Maybe this is an issue some of you might also have and I hope there is a solution for it because I am getting a bit tired of this program not working as it should.

LR : 9.4 Release.

(Please don't suggest updating, because I have this problem long time)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copy photo's from memory card to HD into a folder with an archive name (ie fotoarch_XXX).
This folder has subfolders with names of the subject or topic ( ie Family ).

So, in LrC, Import, you select ADD, not COPY, correct?

The problems I have is, that in the Import module, my setting 'Organize by originalfolders' is working 

Yep, that sounds like COPY, not ADD.If you chose to ADD to the catalog, destination would not be an option/issue.

If you are copying the images from the memory card to desired folders outside if LrC, then why are you not importing via ADD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is because I use a smaller dedicated import HD. After importing (and indeed copying) them with LR I burn the originals to DVD and delete them from this disk. This ensures I have a hard copy of the original photo's and I let LR do the work of keeping my 'online' photo's organized ( well, that was what I was hoping it would do 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still feels as though you have a couple of unnecessary steps in that workflow.....specifically copying to the "import HD" first, then deleting them after burning to DVD. Much simpler would be to copy to the external drive first after setting up the folder structure, then run an ADD import in LrC, then at your leisure you can still burn the originals on the external drive to DVD (and obviously don't delete the originals after burning them). No requirement to set up the folder structure multiple times, you just do it the once.

Basically, you just take the "import HD" out of the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jim,

yes, I understand what you are saying and will try, but for me it is a 'workaround' the issue I mentioned (LR not doing correctly what it should do)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My LR NAS (and ackup NAS) should have the same folder organization as the ones I copy from.

To clarify, your catalog, where do you keep it? Not the images, but the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My catalogs are on a seperate HD on my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is because I use a smaller dedicated import HD. After importing (and indeed copying) them with LR I burn the originals to DVD and delete them from this disk. This ensures I have a hard copy of the original photo's and I let LR do the work of keeping my 'online' photo's organized 

Hmm, do, are you just using LrC as a DAM? And not fir editing.

Data Access Management (DAM)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For both

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy link to clipboard
It is because I use a smaller dedicated import HD. After importing (and indeed copying) them 

So, after copying them to your small dedicated import drive, you then copy them from that drive to another one that your catalog uses? And you accomplish that last bit via import/copy in LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if the file structure on the dedicated import drive happens to be the same as the desired file  structure on the final drive that LrC will refer to, Why not import in LrC using ADD instead of Copy. Eliminates LeC making bad file structure (date centric?) actions/results.And speeds up import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I would do that, it means I need to created the folder structure manually on 2 extra locations (LR files and backup) , and after that copy the files manually, and import them.

As this is a build-in function of LR, I let LR do the work... that is, if it would work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting Preferences, they can get corrupted at times

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines