• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic takes forever to load and it is impossible to change from one photo folder to another one.

New Here ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a long time LR user and the program has been working flawlessly until I had to move to LR Classic because I didn't want to move my photos to the cloud.

Recently, LR Classic has become a nightmare and it is nearly impossible to use it.

When opening it, it takes 5.5 minutes to open the catalog and show the quantity of files in each folder.  Then, it is possible to move to a folder and do some work.  However, when I try to change folders, it freezes and the only possible action is to close it.  When reopening it, I have to wait again for 5.5 minutes....  A nightmare !

When working inside a photo folder, the performance is OK at first but degrades gradually.  After a while, it becomes so slow I have to close LR and start again.

I have 60,000 photos in 1 catalog (724,496 Kb) and the standard-sized previews folder is 64,104,779 Kb).  Both are on the SSD C: drive, which has 17% free space.  LR is also on this drive.

The photos are on the D: drive and take 925 Gb.  The drive has 32% free space.

LR, Photoshop, Camera Raw and Creative Cloud are all the latest version. The O/S is W10 64 bit and all updates are current.  I use the Graphics Processor, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti.  The Intel i7 processor speed is 3.6 Ghz and the computer has 16 Gb memory.  The LR Camera Cache Settings are set to 20 Gb on the D: drive.

Can anybody help me on this ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first that you can try is to deactivate the GPU support.

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Then please refer the infos on these sites:

Optimize Lightroom performance

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-workflow-tweaks/

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "SSD C: drive, which has 17% free space.  LR is also on this drive."

This is the root cause of your problem you need at least 25% of free disk space for the operations of your computer to function efficiently.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you gentlemen for your answers.  I had tried disabling the GPU and I just tried it again - it doesn't change anything.  I will try to make room on the SSD but I may need to replace it with a larger one.

I started getting performance problems last fall with the switch to LR Classic.  After using it for a couple hours, performance was becoming so bad that I had to close LR to clear the memory.

Then, a couple weeks ago, I started having the startup problem described above.  This is a nightmare, I can't use LR anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and fixed it by reducing the size of the LR cache file  Preferences/Performance.

It was set to 150GB and I reduced it to 20GB.  Also make sure the drive your cache is on has space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LRC) reports it.

In LRC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy.

Paste into a reply.

Include all information from first line down to and including plug-in info. Exclude info After plug-in info (just occupies space)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. For the hard drive your catalog is on. What is reported by the OS for free space on it in %  /EDIT/ 17% , bad

Hmm, not used to OP giving lots of good info, catching myshelf asking questions OP stated, my bad, bad David.

Best place for performance reasons to place catalog would be a SSD, as long as you have the space. Note that library previews must be in same space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. What hard drives do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4. Speaking about the space allocated for Camera RAW CACHE.

How much? /Edit/ 20 GB, might not be enough, certantly better than the default, should only matter within Develop module.

What drive? As in, when possable, avoid putting on C drove where paging file is bormslly stored (Windows)

How many photos do you edit at a given time?

What Camera?

RAW or JPEG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5. Perhaps a screenshot of your settings for standard preview size, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6. It is not important, normally, for performance to be picky on where your photos are stored, but where do you store them? Getting at space available on drives, as in if not enough on drive catalog is in, perhaps move photos to another drive.

original posting shows an emoje for drive letter where you specified that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a 1TB SSD for the OS, Pagefile, OS Temp Dirs, and 2x2TB SSD (local disk configured as a JBOD storage pool which is replicated onto a RAID 5 NAS).

The computer is running I7 (3.6Ghz), 32Gb RAM and 8GB NVidia RTX 2060 Super

My Catalogue (250MB), LR Cache (20GB) and Image files are all stored on the 2TB Drives

I have hardware acceleration turned on.

I've only got 5000 images in this catalogue (I start a new one every year) and keep my previews for 30 days.

Most files are 50Mb from my 5DSR and a splattering of 20Mb from my 1DX

With this setup, LR takes approx 25 to start up to the point where you can use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "I have 60,000 photos in 1 catalog (724,496 Kb) and the standard-sized previews folder is 64,104,779 Kb).  Both are on the SSD C: drive, which has 17% free space.  LR is also on this drive."

This is a critical issue, you need to free up space on the. drive so that it can function efficiently. If the drive has less than 25 to 30% free you will experience a reduction in performance.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines