• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lr Classic unable to write to user folder, cannot sync

Participant ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr Classic unable to write to user folder // see below attached screenshot of error message >> I am having this issue, since I wiped my drive and upgraded to OSX Big Sur.

A caveat might be that my Lightroom catalog is stored in Dropbox (so it is synced to the cloud), although this was the case before I wiped/upgraded, without issue previously.

I have tried the terminal diskutil command diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u` to no avail.

One other caveat would be that further to the OSX upgrade, I have added an additional user, whereas before there was just one user (me). The additional user does NOT have admin privileges.

I imagine that LR would only need to read/write inside my home folder "andrewklug", not within the entire user folder. Have included below screenshots of the error message, as well as the info windows for my user folder and home folder.

Another clarification, Lr is able to move files between folders (which might suggest write privileges), it is merely the mobile sync that appears to be stuck

Thank you in advance for any insights

Andrew S Klug // ASK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Lightroom is not supposed to be able to write to that folder and you should not try to change that. That folder is where the different users of your computer are kept, so that is outside of Lightroom's permissions because Lightroom runs for one particular user.

What happened is that the download location for your online images (photos you took on your iPhone) was reset. Go to Preferences - Lightroom Sync. Click on the 'Choose' button on the right of 'Specify Location for Lightroom's Synced Ima

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Kindly disregard my last reply (I tied to delete/withdraw). I believe I have identified the issue. My user folder is andrewklug, not andrewsklug 😳🤪. I have adjusted in LrC and it's now chugging to process but I think this was the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 7.37.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 7.42.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 7.46.14 AM.png

Andrew S Klug // ASK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close LrC, on your OS bring up System Preferences, select Security and Privacy, select Privacy, Files and Folders, Full Disk Access, see if Lightroom Classic is included

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for delayed response, I was out of pocket for several weeks. I tried your suggestion and granted Full Disk Access to LrC (it was not previously included), but alas this did not fix the issue... Still getting the same error message screnshoted above, unable to write to /Users folder

Andrew S Klug // ASK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message is referring to the download location for synced photos from Lightroom (cloud). You can change the location of the download in the preferences, sync tab. Pick a new location and that should solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is not supposed to be able to write to that folder and you should not try to change that. That folder is where the different users of your computer are kept, so that is outside of Lightroom's permissions because Lightroom runs for one particular user.

What happened is that the download location for your online images (photos you took on your iPhone) was reset. Go to Preferences - Lightroom Sync. Click on the 'Choose' button on the right of 'Specify Location for Lightroom's Synced Images', and choose a folder that Lighroom does have permissions for.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Theresa and Johan for these suggestions. As indicated in my initial post above, I have set a/ my LrC Catalog as well as b/ my Lr Mobile Sync Download folder to be stored in my Dropbox folder. This is how I had it previously before reinstalling my system, and it worked without issue. Only 2 things have chaned since I setup the new system: i/ I have upgraded to OS Big Sur from a previous version of OS, and ii/ I have added an additional user (where previously there was only one user, me). Aside from that, the folder structure and the location where I have set a/ my Catalog and b/ my Lr Mobile Sync Download (see below screenshots) are exactly as I had them previously, which worked fine. I would also like to clarify that, while I have added a new user, the location where I am storing a/ and b/ is inside MY user folder, not the root user folder, not the other user's folder, so I don't understand why there shold be a permissions issue. Thank you in advance

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.42.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.43.35 AM.png

Andrew S Klug // ASK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your desktop dropbox installed and working? Can you access the INbox phone folder in the finder? If the answer is yes for both of these questions, I still recommend changing the sync location to someplace other than dropbox. That should free things up and allow the catalog to start syncing again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kindly disregard my last reply (I tied to delete/withdraw). I believe I have identified the issue. My user folder is andrewklug, not andrewsklug 😳🤪. I have adjusted in LrC and it's now chugging to process but I think this was the problem

Andrew S Klug // ASK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This issue has been happening for forever for me. You answer made me realize that my username on my Mac and my username on my macbook pro are different and that is what is causing my issue. Now I need to try and make both usernames identical and hope LR will work seemlessly in Dropbox on both machines. I doubt it will, but fingers crossed!

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines