• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic v10.1.1 - herky-jerky in Library Grid, Hangs my Mac in Develop

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny. I tried the Adobe Chat but after an hour, no human appeared. I posted this, there, hoping someone would notice. For everyone else, here is my Story:

I had been using Lightroom v6.14 on my 2013 Mac Pro and macOS 10.12.6. Worked fine. But, for many reasons, including wanting to have some of the new “bells and whistles” on LR Classic, I updated to macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) and subscribed to the LR/PS bundle.

I let Adobe Creative Cloud install PS and LR (v10.1.1).

When I first tried using LR, I was not happy with the jerky-jerky scrolling in the Library Grid view. Though the film strip was smooth. From some internet searching, I learned this is a commonly mentioned problem with LR CC v10.

Worse than scrolling issues, the (essentially fatal) problem I had was trying to use the Develop Module. The controls were VERY jerky, and delayed in reacting to adjustments. AND, the three times I tried making an adjustment, LR CC seemed to pause to catch up with a one slider change and then froze my entire computer. Spinning beachball with mouse control, but I could click on nothing. The keyboard was unresponsive. The only choice was a power button forced shutdown. THIS worried me a lot.

Based on recommendations I found regarding the sluggish behavior of LR CC 10 scrolling, I downgraded and installed LR CC v9.4 instead. This works responsively, as I was used to with LR v6.14, and has not crashed.

I was very happy to find that the Adobe Creative Cloud app has the option of installing ANY of the recent versions of Lightroom. This was a true pleasure to behold.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR v10 relies a lot on the graphics card. How much memory do you have there? It is not unlikely that is just too old to be fast enough in Classic. You can try turning off graphics card acceleration in Preferences->Performance and see if it makes a difference. On such an old machine it might work much better without GPU acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specific reply to this post:

Mac Pro 2013 (6-core, 3.5 GHz), macOS 10.14.6, 64 GB RAM

I left the Graphics Processor setting on Auto, so it is using the AMD
Radeon card. I did not try changing this, since I read other folks trying
this with no positive result.

I DID increase the Camera Raw Cache Setting to 20 GB (based on a
suggestion, I found), but that made zero difference with LR v10.1.1.

Installing LR v9.4 yielded zippy performance identical to what I have been
used to with LR v6.14.

So, though the age of the Mac Pro might be an issue with v10.1.1, it is
definitely not an issue with LR v9.4 (or, anything else apps I use, so
far), so I am not ready to consider this Mac Pro too old, just yet.

I am happy with where things are, for now. LR 9.4 works fine - it was state
of the art, last year! I like having Dehaze and Texture. I like having
"Hover Preview of Presets" (very responsive). I can live without Color
Grading, for now.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people are experiencing problems with LR 10.0, 10.1, and 10.1.1 on all versions of Mac OS. Adobe has acknowledged these issues, and we can hope that 10.2 will fix them.  LR usually releases every two months, and 10.1 came out on 12/8, so we might expect 10.2 the first week of February.  However, 10.1.1 was an unusual "patch" release to fix a cloud-sync problem, so the regular schedule might have shifted (Adobe rarely lets us know ahead of time).

There may be multiple issues going on, so different workarounds have worked for some people:

- Set Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off.

- If you have a custom color profile assigned to your display from a calibrator or running System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate, set the display profile to Color LCD (for a Retina display), Adobe RGB (for a wide-gamut display), or sRGB (for a traditional display).

- Roll back to 10.0 (easy):

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/roll-back-update-previous-classic/ 

- Roll back to 9.4 (hard, ask for details if you get this desperate).

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John, for confirming that v10 versions are giving some people difficulties. I had gathered it was not just me.

Since I had just moved from LR v6.14 and was only starting to explore v10.1.1 when I discovered the issues enumerated in my first post, I had done no editing (since the Develop Module made my computer hang when I tried doing any edits), so no work was lost starting over from where I was with v6.14, just a little time (and worry stress). Letting the Adobe Creative Cloud app replace LR v10.1.1 with v9.4 and starting over was easy-peasy.

LR v9.4 runs with all the responsiveness I was used to with v6.14 (even on this 2013 MacPro), so I'll stick with 9.4, for now, and wait for Adobe. Since I have seldom used Split-Toning, except experimenting, I won't miss Color Grading, for a while. Coming from v6, I am tickled to have addition of Texture and Dehaze in the toolset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am having the same 'spinning ball' problem even as simply as going from one image to another - takes 3-6 sec. Am on a Mac Pro (late 2013) with 64GB of ram, and it runs smoothly and quickly in V. 9.4 which shall reinstall. The is second time i've tried the V 10.x.x and neither worked. Others that have this computer are experienceing the same problem; don't know if it is its age or just the set-up that Mac OS uses for these Mac Pros. Hopefully, V 10.2. will bring some relief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest bug that v10 introduced on some Macs is that having a calibrated screen and using GPU acceleration causes it to slow down tremendously. This only happens with certain graphics cards but when you have it it is unusable. To test for this, do what @johnrellis suggests and set the default ColorLCD or sRGB/adobeRGB profile (depending on your display) as display profile instead of a calibrated profile. If the slowness disappears you are running into this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I left the Graphics Processor setting on Auto, so it is using the AMD Radeon card. I did not try changing this, since I read other folks trying this with no positive result."

There are a fair number of posts here and the official feedback forum from Mac users for whom turning off the GPU made a significant improvement. But since you're satisfied with LR 9.4, it's fortunately a moot issue (at least until you try a future version of LR 10 :-< ).

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines