LR Classic very slow to boot (then performs normally)

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, firstly thanks in advance for any help.

I have Lightroom Classic, on the latest version. Running on a late 2013 Imac 27" which has 16GB of RAM.

I am a photographer and use my Mac for pretty much only LR/PS and the odd web browsing.

I store my photos on an external USB drive which my current one is only 1.2TB used out of 4TB.

My Mac is only using 400GB of its internal 1TB fusion drive.

Recently my LR can take 5minutes+ to fully start up and allow my photos to appear in library/development. Once it has finally loaded everything it is quick and snappy to use and navigate around. This only occurs on the first startup after booting up, if I "Quit Lightroom Classic' and then open it again its quick to load.

FYI the rest of my Mac is quick on startup, I can be browsing Safari listening to Spotify within seconds.

A browse of the net has made me try a few things to no avail.

- Delete time machine snapshots in terminal

- Boot up in safe mode

- Restart and reset NVRAM

I have also unboxed a brand new external drive, copied my photos onto it but it is still the same (I wondered whether the older drive was on its way out)

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

That is not a typical experience with Lightroom and it does sound frustrating, as Lightroom is booting up at a slow speed. Could you please try optimizing the performance of Lightroom and let us know if it helps? Optimize Lightroom performance

Have you tried turning off the GPU option from Lightroom's preferences?
Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

Also, could you please let us know the exact version of Lightroom you're using by going to Help > System Info?

Regards,
Sahil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have tried all the newest solutions.  None made any difference.  I finally decided to try the Create New Catalog, and only bring in One folder of my photos.  It is still loading in 40 seconds. Which is faster than the 48 - 50 seconds my full catalog loads in. I also unchecked my Video card, and a few other things, like removing Collections as well.  I tried everything to make this tiny catalog run fast.  Nuts.  I really believe, when I bough my new ThreadRipper, with 128 GB Ram, Quad channel, using M.2 drives, there is a problem with using this techknowledgely and LR. My older AMD 8350 chip, with 32 GB RAM was much, much faster. BUT - I will say, all my Topaz filters happen in 3 - 10 seconds.  And photoshop seems better.  Maybe it is just LR not being able to run well with Threadripper.  I have not tried shutting down 8 cores,(16 threads) yet.  Maybe that is next.

. -- Windows Pro 10 AMD ThreadRipper 2950x water cooled, Corsair 128GB RAM, Two Fast M.2 1TB drives for OS and Adobe, RAID for storage 8TB, eVGA RTX2080 super FTW Canon 5D MKII, Epson 4990 Scanner, SureColor P400 Printer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

Hello,

This was also my problem. Once removed every thing got to normal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if that can help someone : I keep my computer running all the time and for some reasons, Lightroom does not like it. Starting the app can take up to 2 minutes. Trying File / Import Photos takes about 1 minute just to get to the next window.

Once I reboot, it takes about 15 seconds to open the app instead.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines