Highlighted

LR Classic won't move folders

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly within the last week or so in LR Classic (7.2), Library mode, I cannot move a sub-folder with photos from from one folder to another. I get an error, "Could not complete the folder move. An unknown error occurred." It doesn't matter if it is a newly created folder or an old one. The catalog has been optimized, PC (Win 10) rebooted, 12GB RAM and usage is 65% of that RAM.

As an example, I can create a sub-folder "B" inside folder "A". I can create another sub-folder "C" inside "A". I cannot move B into C or move any of them to another folder. I can create and move empty folders, but if it has an image in it, it can't be moved around. I can move images from B into C, but I can't move folders.

My workflow is easiest when I move folders and I've been doing it this way for over a year. I don't know what may have changed.  I'm looking for ideas so that folders can be moved in LR. I can close LR, go to Explorer, move the folders, reopen LR and then "find" them for the directory but that is not what should happen.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

LR Classic won't move folders

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly within the last week or so in LR Classic (7.2), Library mode, I cannot move a sub-folder with photos from from one folder to another. I get an error, "Could not complete the folder move. An unknown error occurred." It doesn't matter if it is a newly created folder or an old one. The catalog has been optimized, PC (Win 10) rebooted, 12GB RAM and usage is 65% of that RAM.

As an example, I can create a sub-folder "B" inside folder "A". I can create another sub-folder "C" inside "A". I cannot move B into C or move any of them to another folder. I can create and move empty folders, but if it has an image in it, it can't be moved around. I can move images from B into C, but I can't move folders.

My workflow is easiest when I move folders and I've been doing it this way for over a year. I don't know what may have changed.  I'm looking for ideas so that folders can be moved in LR. I can close LR, go to Explorer, move the folders, reopen LR and then "find" them for the directory but that is not what should happen.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 29, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also find I cannot rename a folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2018 0
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I have found is that the folder to be moved must be the current folder selected. If I try to move a folder that is not the currently selected folder I will get this error too.

I'm on the very latest LR CC Classic 8.1.

This seems like a bug to me. Re-arranging folders in the Library module should be a simple drag and drop experience form any folder to any folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This helped me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
WolfDen LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me as well! Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of your Folders panel, complete with folder structure up to parent, might help

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, have you changed your internet security program?

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a sec, this is old, this has been posted elsewhere, heck my inquiry is from a solution posted elsewhere, this same OP, same question,

Lightroom Classic: I cannot move a sub-folder with photos from from one folder to another | Photosho...

Time for OP to close?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2018 0