Highlighted

Lr crashes on Mac when editing large files

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so elementary I need to ensure I'm not missing something.

Recently, when editing a group of very large files (15 or so HDR panorama images, the computer locks up, the screen goes dark, and then it re-sets and I have to re-open the computer.

The computer is a 2017 MacBook Pro with 16GB of memory.

This rarely ovvured before I started workig with so many loarge files. I have visited with Apple,a nd run diagnostics, so I am satrisfied there is no computer hardware issue. The Apple rep suggested I contact Adobe, so here I am .....

Am I just pushing the compute too hard? Would a computer with 32GB of memory be helpful?

I appreciate any guidance. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lr crashes on Mac when editing large files

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so elementary I need to ensure I'm not missing something.

Recently, when editing a group of very large files (15 or so HDR panorama images, the computer locks up, the screen goes dark, and then it re-sets and I have to re-open the computer.

The computer is a 2017 MacBook Pro with 16GB of memory.

This rarely ovvured before I started workig with so many loarge files. I have visited with Apple,a nd run diagnostics, so I am satrisfied there is no computer hardware issue. The Apple rep suggested I contact Adobe, so here I am .....

Am I just pushing the compute too hard? Would a computer with 32GB of memory be helpful?

I appreciate any guidance. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 04, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer locking up and restarting is ALWAYS one of the following

1. Corrupt or out-of-date driver
  2. Hardware malfunction

Did Apple check the cooling system? If something like this happens when you have asked the computer to work hard, a cooling system failure is the first thing I would look for.

Would 32GB help? Usually, if there is not enough memory, your operating system will pop up a dialog box saying "not enough memory". Usually, when you don't have enough memory, the computer doesn't crash.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 3
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the insight.

I just ran a diagnostic test on the computer, which indicated no known issues. I don’t know whether that checked the cooling system or not. I do know that when the computer is working hard, the fan is running loudly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are classic symptoms of overheating due to a cooling system malfunction, causing the computer to shut down.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As above this is a hardware problem. More than likely an Overheating issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 1
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

End Quote:

1) Yes you are for a Mac Notebook

2) Not if it is a Mac notebook. All of them for years now are known to get extremely hot when under heavy load. Some overheat and restart, some don't.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I do know that when the computer is working hard, the fan is running loudly."

To build on the previous replies, it's normal for a Macbook fan to run whenever LR is doing any work. But it's not uncommon for Macbook fans and vents to get clogged with dust. When that happens, the computer can overheat and shut itself down without warning. To see if your computer is overheating, install one of several free utilities to record processor temperature.  In the past, I've used one from Intel:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-power-gadget.html

If your computer isn't overheating, infrequently you can have a memory chip that's failing very intermittently. You could get a free memory diagnostic utility that lets run a memory test indefinetly (e.g. an hour), or simply run the built-in Apple Diagnostics half a dozen times.

Often it's the case that LR provokes overheating or a bad memory chip when other apps don't because LR uses much more of your processor and memory than a typical app.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded and installed the Intel Power Gadget, but I'm not exactly understanding what it's telling me. I guess I'll run it while working in Lightroom and see how warm it gets.

After running Apple Diagnostics six times as suggested with no issues found, and recalling the fan running very hard before the crashes, I can only concur it's an issue with the fans not suffciciently cooling.

Cleaning the fans doesn't seem too difficult, so I'll give that a try.

Thanks again for your help. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also may be a Local heating problem. The CPU can get hot to the point it just shuts down even if the whole system doesn't feel or record that it is hot.

Like putting a cigarette lighter under one of your fingers and lighting it. That finger will burn way before the rest of your hand feels the heat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely running hot. High 90s when working in Lightroom. Have bought screwdriver and compressed air to clean the fans. Thanks again!  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all. Very helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0