Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lr Crashes system on RTX 2070

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue:

I've been having many issues with Lightroom Classic 2020 crashing my stytem while running off the RTX 2070 GPU.

The crashes happen when either loading Lightroom library, importing photos or editing them in develop module. The system will freeze, the display always goes black, then seconds later the system reboots. There is NO dump file created. Event viewer displays NOTHING at the time of the crash. If LR has a crash dump I don't know where to find it. 

What I've tried so far:

Reinstall of Windows. Reinstall of LR and all CC apps. Reset prefs in LR. Updated all drivers. Tried both studio and game ready nvidia drivers. Updated system bios. SFC checked - all ok. Mem test pass. GPU acceleration on or off no difference.

Using the iGPU on my motherboard works perfectly fine.

The system has no other issues with the GPU. GPU is not overheating. Is NOT overclocked. System is running at stock settings.

Because no logs of the crash are available, I can't pinpoint the issue. Is this a GPU hardware issue, Driver issue, or bug with Lightroom. I find it hard to believe no other software crashes my GPU. Not even maxed out games at full res crash the system.

Here are my system specs:

CPU: i9-9900K

RAM: G.Skill 64GB DDR4 24000

Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximum XI Extreme

GPU: Asus ROG Strix 2070 8GB

Audio: EVGA Nu Audio Pro (PCIe)
Storage: Intel SSD 750 (PCIe), Intel Optane M.2 Memory Module, Samsung SSD Evo 840 (x2) Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2, Seagate 12TB HDD
PSU: Corsair HX850i
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72
Case: Phanteks Evolv X

Windows 10 64bit version 1909, build 18363.592
Lightroom Classic 2020 version 9.1

Any help at all to point me in another way I might be overlooking or help on finding some crash records would be very much so appreciated. Thank you kindly!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your system information as lightroom classic reports it. In lightroom click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste into a reply. First line down to just past plug-in info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will do this later today when I get home, however my system info is posted above. Not sure if the Lightroom report version of it would reveal any other info 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also an inquiry. When you last updated your GPU driver, did you select to accomplish a clean install? In the NVIDIA driver update, select custom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before clean installing windows I had just updated the Nvidia game ready driver as per usual in GeForce experience. I did an express installation. However even after a clean install of windows, the crash happened again. I will delete the current driver and choose a clean install if it to see if that works 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, perhaps overlooked in your listing of what has been attempted to remind you. Check hard drive catalog resides on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried having the catalogue and library of files on different drives, makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, while this will show up in your Sys Info, in your plug-ins, are you perhaps running LogiOptions?

Only required if you use a Logitech mouse or keyboard to assign actins to buttons/dial. Not required fir normal mouse/keyboard. Not the actual driver. Known buggy plug-in, normally just causes an annoying error when deleating multiple photos, sometimes causes worse, very inconsistent rig to rig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No extra plugins installed. Just the ones naturally with Lightroom. I do not have a Logitech mouse. I use an Asus ROG mouse which has never once had issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in closing for this morning. Have no knowledge on skill level, so do not shot the messenger. 

Just to check.

You reset the preference file. By that you do mean you exited Lightroom Classic, deleated the actual file , and restarted Lightroom Classic, whereapon Lightroom Classic recreated it?

(or used the keyboard sequence to tell LZrC to do all that)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System crashes are always either hardware malfunction or bad drivers. Since you say you have updated your drivers, you need to check all hardware — motherboard, memory, hard disk, cooling system for possible problems and/or possible malfunctions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a professional photographer and I have been using Lightroom for many years. I also have a pretty experienced understanding of PCs in general. I have tried deleting the prefs already. This makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem. . .and like you explained, this only happens with Lightroom. . .no other instance. . .even editing and rendering video in Premier Pro. . .I don't think its hardware. . .At first I thought it was a cooling problem. . replaced cooling system. . .still crashes. . .it just shuts down and reboots. I've tried everything and the only thing that has stabilized it is to turn off my graphics acceration in Lightroom and then use Lightroom VERY sparingly and do most of my editing (I'm also a photographer) in Photoshop and Camera Raw. One thing. . make sure you upload the Nvidia studio driver rather than the gaming driver and do the clean install of that driver as recommended. . .this seemed to stablize the problem somewhat as long as I turn off the graphics acceleration. . .not a fix by any means because I can hardly use Lightroom. . but at least it has stopped shutting my system down and rebooting. There's a bug somewhere and I've given up trying to find it. . . .and yes, I also deleted the preferences with no effect . .NOTHING HAS WORKED. . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course its either hardware malfunction or a driver malfunction. Nothing else causes computers to crash. And I would have told you that 15 years ago before Lightroom existed.

The fact that only Lightroom causes this is incorrect logic. It only happens with Lightroom because that's the only program on your computer that stresses the hardware enough, but other software (that you don't have) also will stress the hardware leading to a crash, but you don't have that other software, so you miss that piece of evidence. But this happens to lots of people with lots of software and the only explanation is hardware malfunction or driver malfunction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier Pro doesn't stress my hardware as much as Lightroom?. . huh?. ., how about Photoshop. . why not Camera Raw then?. . I run the entire CC suite. . never a problem . . .really. . .its illogical to think the problem may be a Lightroom bug?. . .as if Lightroom has never been shown to be buggy?. . .I've clean installed drivers out the wazoo. . .so now what? I should switch out my GPU? . . and then when that doesn't work. . what's next?. . .Truth is it could be a 1000 possibilities . . and you don't know what is it anymore than I do. . .your guess is hardware or software drivers. . .but not a bug in Lightroom? that's out of the question?. . .hey, btw, when I talk to the geniuses on the Nvidia board. .they say IT'S LIGHTROOM for sure!!. . whatever. . . with your 15 years ago. . I'll just keep the graphics acceration unchecked and do the intensive editing in Photoshop and Camera raw. . which has NEVER crashed my system and maybe, just maybe, in an upgrade or two somebody may discover the source of the problem. I'm obviously too illogical to figure it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most of those post processing programs are raster editors, they use raster editing systems. As such, they are destructive editors. As you edit the photograph, the current edits are temporarily sabre's=fed, as you add another edit, just this pixals touched get modified, the picture gets temporarily saved, on and on, you just affect specific pixals, then temp save.

Ligtroom uses a parametric editing system.  This is due to it being a non destructive editor. Each time you add an edit, the entire image sets recreated, refreshed previews, each and every pixal gets recreated. Accomplish another edit, well it gets worse, all the previous edits get read, worked thru, then the new edits, and you get it new previews, remember, you are always looking at a preview. Some edits are more demanding than others, adjudstment brushes come to mind, after all, multiple sliders get involved. More and more edits, more and more resources used.

Programs like Photoshop are pikes when it comes to consuming resources in comparison to Lightroom.

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2231777&seqNum=2

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/what-is-the-difference-between-a-pixel-based-editor...

Now lightroom is not the only parametric editor, and some appear to behave better, well, ar least flamed by their fans

https://windowsreport.com/parametric-image-editing-software/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines