Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR File Management advice needed

Participant ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm finally getting around to moving my old Aperture library (~150,000 images) into Lightroom Classic and need a bit of advice regarding file management.
Here is my scenario:
- All of my images (from my current LR catalog and my Aperture library) were in a PHOTO_MASTERS folder, which is organzied by Year/Month (2021/01, 2021/02, etc)
- Over 15 years or so, there are other "extra" files in the PHOTOS_MASTERS folder that are NOT part of my current LR Catalog, nor part of my Aperture Library.
- I consolidated all the masters from my Aperture Library into Aperture, so they are no longer in the PHOTO_MASTERS folder
- Now in my PHOTO_MASTERS folder I have all the images from my LR Catalog, AND the extra images that are not in my LR Catalog.
- I want to separate these two groups of files so that I can review the extra images and decided what to do with them.

How can I separate the files that are part of my LR catalog from the remaining "extra" files?
I've reviewed all the options available in LR, but seems they are only useful for finding missing files, not extras.

Thank you...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try using the Create / Add a new folder feature to make a separate folder called Extras and move the images there for easy sorting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use the Library Metadata filter and sort by any number of the data points you will be able to sort very quickly by looking through the images.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/create-folders.html

Find and filter photos
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/library-module-basic-workflow.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with @cmgap that creating another folder and moving the files is the solution, but you probably don't know which files belong there just from the names so this might be really hard. It is hard to help with this without knowing the exact structure of the folders on your hard disk and how they are referenced in Lightroom Classic. What I imagine you have now from your description is one big folder with images  segregated by date but with your already in Lightroom images intermixed with the images originally in "extra"? The simplest way to deal with this I think is to do a synchronize folder (right or control click on the folder in Lightroom) and let it import(using add) all the images that were extra. You should now go to the "previous import" folder (top left) and do a select all, and give all of these images the keyword "extra" (or whatever you choose). You can also create a new collection from these (use command-N) that you can call "old extras" or something like that. You can now easily find these images with a search for the keyword or simply go to the new collection. The images won't be physically seperate on your hard disk, but they will be easy to distinguish inside Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines