• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR import and keywords

Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often import images from earlier catalogs....is there any way to import the keywords along with them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not import images. Import the catalog (or a portion of it).

So, select the desired images in catalog #1, then File->Export as Catalog, then open Catalog #2 and File->Import from Another Catalog and select the exported catalog you just created.

Better solution: everything goes in one catalog, and then none of this is necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, but, these catlogs are getting large. 100K images/log.   They can slow a system down.  Thanks.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except for making backups, large catalogs do not "slow a system down". There are people in this forum with catalogs in the hundreds of thousands of images, and reports are of catalogs with over a million images, and no slowdown (except for making backups).

So, again I recommend one catalog for all your photos, this is the easiest method and eliminates the issue of importing photos from earlier catalogs, and it also eliminates the work needed to import photos from earlier catalogs; and one catalog has many other benefits as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am thinking that I will go back to one Master Cat.  I'm looking for a new 6TB hd which should give room to grow.  Presently, there are two HD's with a cat for each..I think it shoud be uneventful in creating a new cat for the new Hd, import and copy the images in the process to the new drive from the other two as I create the new Master, any suggestions?  Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to import a few images of an old catalog whike keeping edits and keywords, then you can also do the following: open the old catalog, select the images and choose menu 'metadata - save metadata to files'. Then open the current catalog and import the images. Make sure you do not apply any presets on import.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that also.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the question is about keywords, and save metadata to files works; but there are other things that will not transfer by saving the metadata to files which may or may not be important to you (things like pick flags, virtual copies, collection membership, edit history and probably a few other things that I can't think of right now); but everything transfers if you use the File->Export as Catalog method I described above. And all of the work we are discussing can be avoided by using one catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines