• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR is saving files to yesterdays folder!

Participant ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have taken 6 photos today (meta data says 24th June) and when imported into LR from my memory card, it has saved it into the dated folder.

When I had edited the photos, it saved them into yesterdays folder (23rd June)!

Any idea why this happened, and what I can do to sort it please?

Regards

Paul.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

The [Save As] command in Photoshop does NOT necessarily use the folder of the source raw file.

The [Save As] command knows 'nothing' about Lightroom-Classic, or its options.

The [Save As] command, appears to me, to be using the 'Last Used' folder location for a previous [Save As]. (In my test the folders were several dated folders 'apart' !)

If you want the file returned to Lr-Classic in the same folder as the original source file - you MUST USE [SAVE]   (and [Close] ). Do NOT use [Save As]. T

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I would check is to see if your camera has been set to the correct date and time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, this part does not make sense to me

When I had edited the photos, it saved them into yesterdays folder (23rd June)!

Lightroom Classic does not move a photo from one folder to another when you edit the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake - it's when I saved it after editing in Photoshop. (Can't edit the title).

The camera is set correctly, and the date is right on my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what happened is...

Imported into LR. Processed, exported into PS.

Edited, ran NR.

Hit the SAVE AS button, renamed the image, and pressed enter to save.

When I looked in the (todays) folder the 4 images were not there, but in the folder dated the 23rd.

I'm confused!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit the SAVE AS button, renamed the image, and pressed enter to save.

Implying that you did not change the folder?

When I looked in the (todays) folder the 4 images were not there, but in the folder dated the 23rd.

Looked at the folder via Lightroom Classic, or via your operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't changed the folder, no.

Looked at the folder via the Wondows OS.

I will see it happens again and if it does, will report back to here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Lightroom or Lightroom Classic? It sounds like you are using Lightroom which doesn't really save photos into folders, but you can filter your photos by creation date. You posted this question in the Lightroom Classic forum. The two different Lightroom's handle file management very differently. The answer to your question depends on knowing which Lightroom you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit the SAVE AS button,

So, from LrC, to PS, some edits, then a Save as (apparently intentional as to save as a particular file name).

Stop??

So how did the new image get into LrC? Had you went from LrC to PS, edited, then saved, The resultant file should be in LrC in the folder you started in. Save As should have not caused a straight up import back into LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @GoldingD

@Paul_Iddon Your post stated-

"...exported into PS. Edited, ran NR. Hit the SAVE AS button, renamed the image, and pressed enter to save."

Totally the wrong workflow!

No Exporting is needed, NO [Save As] is needed if you adopt this-

A better workflow -

[Edit In] Photoshop (Use the [Ctrl+E] shortcut), edit the image, then [SAVE]. The new 'original' Photoshop file will automatically appear next to the 'original' master file in the Library.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where these images RAW or Raster?

RAW should have shown up in PS without any dialog screen about copy, copy with LrC edits.

RAW should have initially appeared as no particular format, until saved or closed. And would appear back in LrC as a new file, of the file type specified in preferences for Edit in PS.

And Save as, via RAW should have resulted in a new file not in the LrC  catalog, needing to be imported.

Raster, tyically JOEG, would have triggered that dialog about, copy, copy with edits, would have shown up in PS as a JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, not sure of what your workflow is. Please be specific. Be wordy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can see what is happening:

From LR into PS, then to "save as" and it opens the folder for the 25th June - despite the photo being taken on 27th June - you can see this if you follow the muse pointer to the dates.

I have to change the folder to the current date myslef, whereas before it always saved to the same folder automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Either select Save, or select Close, not Save As.

I see you are starting with a RAW file, so, from LrC to PS then back to LrC, would create a new file that would be imported into LrC, that is if you select Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of your setting in preferences for external editors showing setting for PS (in LrC)

Ahh, rethought that, why was I asking that? My bad, train of thought was off. Oh, that would show what format to edit in PS, and if you are stacking, but that's probably not pertinent to the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, the original RAW photo you edited in PS, that thumbnail, is it showing stacked  images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, after eding, it shows a TIFF at the side of the CR file if that's what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I think some of my keys are not responding haha, sorry for the typos!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The [Save As] command in Photoshop does NOT necessarily use the folder of the source raw file.

The [Save As] command knows 'nothing' about Lightroom-Classic, or its options.

The [Save As] command, appears to me, to be using the 'Last Used' folder location for a previous [Save As]. (In my test the folders were several dated folders 'apart' !)

If you want the file returned to Lr-Classic in the same folder as the original source file - you MUST USE [SAVE]   (and [Close] ). Do NOT use [Save As]. This is one of the RULES of using Lr-Classic 😉

If you insist on using [Save As] then YOU must select the Folder where you want the file saved!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to have been frustrated with LR edits in PS where [Save As] funtion has returned the edited file to the wrong folder.  My tests confirm several of the Communtiy Professionals' finding that [Save As] in PS sends the file back to the "Last Used" folder. It's also true that using [Save As] in PS requires me to insure it's going to the right LR folder. That's not a difficult task.  The File Path appears in the [Save As] drop down dialog box and if it is the wrong path, just "backingspacing" from the end will reveal other options in the LR catalog; select the right one.

I'm making this pitch becaue I use [Save As] with PS edits for the ability to modify the file name, which is my convention to append an indicator (i.e. "denoise") of what I did in the edit.  After hitting Enter the edited file with the appended name returns to the correct  LR folder and appears adjacent to the original thumbnail.  Note that since the "Last Used Folder" rule is in effect, if you are working on LR review/edit of a new imported folder and go back and forth into PS for edits there, you only have to "fix" the file destination once if you like to use [Save As] and append the file name.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Advise you send an idea to the feedback site, a feature request.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872?cType=IDEA&page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion- Change the Filename IN LIGHTROOM-CLASSIC- After you have used the Ps command [SAVE].

This is far simpler than having to worry about 'where' your files are being saved, and typing a filename in Ps, then imporfting the file to LrC.

So the method is-

1) Edit in Ps

2) [Save] from Ps

3) In LrC Rename the file.

You can use a Rename Preset that will add the external 'editor' to the end of the existing filename.

Example- where YOU enter the 'editor' suffix in the [Custom Text:] panel-

2021-08-21 08_34_23-Filename Template Editor.jpg  2021-08-21 08_34_45-Rename 1 Photo.jpg

This same Preset can be used more than once.

Example, each time the same file 'goes' to another external editor, the Rename Preset appends the Custom Text to the end of the existing filename-

2021-08-21 08_35_34-Rename 1 Photo.jpg2021-08-21 08_35_49-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Or, you can create individual Rename Presets for each External Editor- Thus NO typing of filenames is required. It is a simple [Press F2], Select the appropriate Preset.

2021-08-21 08_55_52-New Preset.jpg   2021-08-21 08_57_28-.jpg

One small point with this method- In Preferences > External Editing: Set the Template to [Filename] to avoid a default suffix being appended. (but complications can occur with the OS adding -2 -3 etc)

WobertC_0-1629500632447.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Thanks for your followup suggestion.  It's clearly detailed and I'm sure it will work, but doubt it's really faster for me to change my workflow that much.  I've been using Save As in PS in the manner I described since around 1998.  Save As always had three variable components: file path, file name, and file type.  The path default was "original location" (at some point Adobe made a PS file handling preference option File\Preference\File Handling\Save As to Original Folder), and in the relatively rare occasion I wanted a different path I knew how to do it.  Same with file type; occasionally and simple. I always changed the file name to differentiate the edited version from the original. 

I did note the introduction of Save a Copy and related restrictions to Save As file types in a May (?)2021 PS update.  I did Not notice that the preference to "Save to Original File" no longer functioned for LRc files edited in PS, until I realized some of my Save As files "disappeared".  In a more recent PS update I see that Adobe added "Enable Legacy Save As" option to the file handling preferences (apparently enough users complained), but the checked "Save to Original File" option still does not work for LRc interface.  Ironically, it works fine for files using Bridge as the Library. I tested it yesterday with two folders in Bridge, edited in ACR then opened in PS, made some more edits and used Save As to close.  Going back and forth between the Bridge folders and edits in PS retained the correct "Original File" destination of the Bridge folders.

I'm just a user, and Adobe has a lot of smart people.  So there must be a reason why LRc files edited in PS do not follow the PS activated file handling preference of "Save As Original Folder'".  I don't find the "Save as to Last Folder" default intuitive or useful, but I am aware anyway.  Perhaps I should switch to Bridge :).

This is only my first posting/response.  I hope I haven't gone on too long, or otherwise bent some rule.

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a couple observasions, Lightroom Classic app is a complete stand alone application and does not require any other Adobe application to be installed on your computer.

Lightroom stores all the work you do in the Catalog file this is the default. In addition, LrC can automatically write XMP data to the file as an option, when operating LrC reads and writes to the Catalog.

To wit LrC is an alternative to Bridge / Adobe Camera Raw and many users like myself use it in it's default mode and avoid writing to XMP.

Bridge / Adobe Camera Raw only reads and writes to the file they can not access the LrC Catalog information hence the need for the option “automatically write to XMP” in LrC.

When you use the “editin PS option” from LrC the LrC edits will be supplied to PS and ACR will apply the edits and open the file in PS.

There are lots of PS users that choose Bridge / ACR in preference to LrC so the choice is yours.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines