• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR on new Mac Pro - Initial Reviews Not Positive

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In preparation for the new Mac Pro with the Pro Display XDR, I've been reading the Mac forums and reading intial reviews on how LR behaves with the new system. Unfortunately, things do not look good. I've been following this topic since Apple (and other Windows manufacturers) introduced 4k and larger monitors. So disappointed.

From: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macpro-7-1-lightroom-and-ps-configuration-and-more-questions.22...

(1) I found that Lightroom is using a lot of GPU memory, after switching between images in the develop module can fill up VRAM very quickly, is this means 8gb videoRAM is not good enough for LR(best performance) now? btw Im using the newest LR with GPU accelate ON. and a 2560X1600Monitor

(2) Well I got my new Cheesegrater today with a single VEGA II, and I can report that the latest Version of Lightroom Classic is still SLUGGISH AS HELL on my 5k display

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not surprised, given the huge number of reports of LR speed problems witk 5K monitors, there's no reason to expect these problems to go away with an even larger monitor. In fact, I would expect an even larger monitor to make Lightroom slower. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is more than just a problem with 5k displays.  I ran the same two 4k displays on the trash can mac pro for the last 4 years  and never had an issue till the 47mp files.  Same monitors same catalog and a brand new catalog are unuseable on the new mac pro with the pro vega II 32gb card.  Its def an issue with lightroom and that graphics card. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does it perform when connected to your 2560x1600 monitor instead? I agree with dj that it is no surprise whatsoever that it is sluggish on a 5k monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have the new Mac Pro at this time. The reviews I posted came from the macrumors forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Just browsed through these and at the last page there are some screen recording movies of performance and it actually is really good. Very fast in Develop and scrolling looks completely normal. Strangely the folks there think it is slow but the screen recording movies look fine but what they show is exactly how Lightroom is programmed. Scrolling in the library module is never smoothly animated - that is just the way it is programmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines