Highlighted

LR/PS problem appeared recently

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got an old photo and scanned it into my computer. My scanner generates jpegs so that was what I had to start with. My practice is to put everything into LR so it's in the catalog, then send it to PS if necessary, then back to LR. On return the file has "CC20" added to the filename. Using Win10.

So I put the file, 1391.jpeg into LR. Then Ctrl-E to send to PS. Checked "edit original" since I did nothing in LR. Image appeared in PS. Edited it. Ctrl-S to save.

PS shows me a dialog with the filename it's going to use for the psd file (my selected format for saving PS stuff). It should be 1391CC20.psd, but I was presented with a filename 1391.psd. When I hit OK to save it, 1391.psd appeared in the directory, but no file was handed back to LR.

I don't send a lot of jpegs to PS, but I have done so in the past and I don't recall this behaviour. It always added the selected template to the filename and handed the resulting psd back to LR.

So I deleted the psd file and tried again. This time I chose "edit a copy". The first thing that happened was that a new jpeg was created in the directory and also in the LR catalog, named 1391CC20.jpeg. No edits. It's just a copy of the original. It also appears in PS for editing. After editing, ctrl-S to save gives me a dialog asking if I want to save 1391CC20.psd. I hit OK. 1391CC20.psd appears in the directory. Nothing appears in LR. The psd is not handed back to LR. The new copy 1391CC20.jpeg is unchanged (since I didn't save that).

So I deleted the new jpeg and the psd and tried again. This time I chose "edit a copy with LR changes" although there were no LR edits. No new jpeg appeared in the directory and 1391.jpeg appears in PS for editing. Edited it. On save, I get the dialog to save 1391CC20.psd, and I do so. Now LR has the original jpeg and the new psd file, as I always used to do. The directory has the original jpeg and the new psd file as it always used to do.

Looks like a recent update broke this feature of LR/PS . To get the file handed back you have to choose "edit a copy with LR changes". The other two choices don't work right. It seems like an LR problem rather than a PS problem because it depends only on the LR choices.

Anyone else notice this? I have not tried this yet with a raw file.

Topics

Bug, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

LR/PS problem appeared recently

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got an old photo and scanned it into my computer. My scanner generates jpegs so that was what I had to start with. My practice is to put everything into LR so it's in the catalog, then send it to PS if necessary, then back to LR. On return the file has "CC20" added to the filename. Using Win10.

So I put the file, 1391.jpeg into LR. Then Ctrl-E to send to PS. Checked "edit original" since I did nothing in LR. Image appeared in PS. Edited it. Ctrl-S to save.

PS shows me a dialog with the filename it's going to use for the psd file (my selected format for saving PS stuff). It should be 1391CC20.psd, but I was presented with a filename 1391.psd. When I hit OK to save it, 1391.psd appeared in the directory, but no file was handed back to LR.

I don't send a lot of jpegs to PS, but I have done so in the past and I don't recall this behaviour. It always added the selected template to the filename and handed the resulting psd back to LR.

So I deleted the psd file and tried again. This time I chose "edit a copy". The first thing that happened was that a new jpeg was created in the directory and also in the LR catalog, named 1391CC20.jpeg. No edits. It's just a copy of the original. It also appears in PS for editing. After editing, ctrl-S to save gives me a dialog asking if I want to save 1391CC20.psd. I hit OK. 1391CC20.psd appears in the directory. Nothing appears in LR. The psd is not handed back to LR. The new copy 1391CC20.jpeg is unchanged (since I didn't save that).

So I deleted the new jpeg and the psd and tried again. This time I chose "edit a copy with LR changes" although there were no LR edits. No new jpeg appeared in the directory and 1391.jpeg appears in PS for editing. Edited it. On save, I get the dialog to save 1391CC20.psd, and I do so. Now LR has the original jpeg and the new psd file, as I always used to do. The directory has the original jpeg and the new psd file as it always used to do.

Looks like a recent update broke this feature of LR/PS . To get the file handed back you have to choose "edit a copy with LR changes". The other two choices don't work right. It seems like an LR problem rather than a PS problem because it depends only on the LR choices.

Anyone else notice this? I have not tried this yet with a raw file.

Topics

Bug, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a raw file you will not get the dialog. It will work exactly like "edit a copy with LR adjustments"

The behavior you describe is as it has always been. If you chose "original" Photoshop opens the jpeg directly. However, jpegs cannot contain layers, so if you do anything that generates a new layer, Photoshop will want to save it as a format that can contain the changes. It will then simply use the name of the file it opened and generate a new file. Lightroom never passed your preference for the filename to Photoshop, since it is not expecting that a new file will get generated. It is actually surprising that it autoadds the psd file since it is not expecting to see anew file. If you choose copy, it just copies the jpeg and asks Photoshop to open that. That will have the new filename with the CC20 appended as the copy is made by Lightroom with your settings. Photoshop now opens this, and Lightroom is expecting to only see that file back. It is NOT expecting to see another file generated by Photoshop, which is why it doesn't load your psd file automatically.

The problem with the "original and copy" options is with the fileformat of the originals. Jpegs cannot contain any complex layers and such, so Photoshop will want to generate another file that Lightroom is not expecting. If you do this with tiff or psd files in Lightroom it will all work correctly since no new file is created in that case because the fileformat can contain layers. However, if you use the with adjustments option, Photoshop opens through camera raw and generates a 16-bit prophotoRGB image in memory that will save out as a psd or tiff (depending on your settings), so Lightroom is expecting to see a different file in that case.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The behavior you describe is as it has always been.

That is not how I remember it from more than a decade of LR/PS use. I had not dealt with a lot of jpegs until the kids went on a road trip this summer and sent back a bunch of images, jpeg and heif. I put them in LRClassic and thence to PS for transmogrification. I always got a psd handed back (I usually produce layers in PS). The last time I probably did that was in September. 

It's not impossible that at age 80 my meat memory is faulty, but I have not noticed any such problems until just now. To me, it seems like a change.

If this is the way it's going to work from here on out, I see no value whatsoever for the choices other than "edit with LR adjustments". 

Lightroom never passed your preference for the filename to Photoshop, since it is not expecting that a new file will get generated.

Why would I send a file to PS if not to edit it? And particularly with a jpeg I would want to create a new file. And if I have a new file I want to see it back in LRClassic so it's in the catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Why would I send a file to PS if not to edit it? And particularly with a jpeg I would want to create a new file. And if I have a new file I want to see it back in LRClassic so it's in the catalog.

When you choose to edit the original or a copy, you are explicitly telling it you are not wanting to create a new file. It is expeciting that the original or a copy of the original will get written back. This works perfectly fine if the original file format can work with layers or if you don't add any layers but breaks down if you do anything more complex. For those possibilities, always choose to edit a copy with lightroom adjustments and you'll be fine. I agree it should always watch for the possibility that a different file gets written out in a save as (photoshop forces a save as tiff or psd if you add layers) and it appears to do that but not consistently. 

So the way this works (and as far as I can tell always has worked) is that with open original, Lightroom tells Photoshop,"Here is the file I want you to open and save to." It never tells Photoshop to save it under a different name or file format. With Copy, Lightroom generates a bit for bit copy with the naming convention you specified and it tells Photoshop, "Here is the file I want you to open and save to". It only got the correct name because Lightroom made the copy and added that to the catalog before even sending it to Photoshop. In both those cases, Lightroom is not expecting a different file to be generated at the end of the edit but apparently sometimes (but not consistently) picks up on when Photoshop does save to a different file.

Lastly in Edit with Lightroom adjustments, Lightroom tells Photoshop "Here is the file I want you to open and render in camera raw with the adjustments specified in this hidden xmp file, please render this in 16 bit prophotoRGB space and when you save use tiff and the following filename". It will then know what to look for and add the resulting file to the catalog.

It sounds like you should simply always use the last option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"no file was handed back to LR."

This is where your assumptions fail. Photoshop doesn't "hand back" anything, ever, to Lightroom. It just saves to disk. The reason you see it in the Lightroom catalog afterwards, is that there is a background script, initiated by Lightroom, that tracks the file through the process and adds it to the catalog.

But it has to be the same file. And that's where it stops when the original is a jpeg, because coming out of Photoshop it is no longer the same file. It's a copy.

And the reason it's a copy, is that the jpeg file format doesn't support most of the things you can do to a file in Photoshop. Almost anything you do in Photoshop forces it to save out as a different file format. And then it's a different file, and the tracking is broken.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to me that there are several problems here:

1. Since I shoot raw only I don't have enough experience with jpegs
  2. My meat memory is aging and sending persistent invalid data occasionally
  3. The kids are sending jpegs from their iPhones. LR handles jpegs fine. PS handles jpegs but when I go to save them they are saved as jpgs. Spelling matters here. I can send Original.jpeg to PS and edit it. LR will make a copy OriginalCC20.jpeg. PS will edit it. I can save it but it is saved as OriginalCC20.jpg, not jpeg. Therefore the copy that LR generates is not updated. Ii have 3 files in the directory Original.jpeg, OriginalCC20.jpeg and OriginalCC20.jpg

I have decided that the solution is:

Forget about Edit In -> Photoshop

Use Edit In -> Send to Smart Object in Photoshop, Photoshop will return a psd which is what I expect it to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jao_vdL LATEST
Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Since I shoot raw only I don't have enough experience with jpegs

Yes, none of this happens with raw files, because Photoshop cannot open or save raw files, it is always get sent exactly like in the option "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments". It instructs photoshop to use its camera raw plugin to render the raw image with the settings you used in Lightroom.

>Use Edit In -> Send to Smart Object in Photoshop, Photoshop will return a psd which is what I expect it to do.

You don't need to do this, simply choose edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments and it will generate a file according to the preferences you set in Lightroom upon a normal save from Photoshop exactly like what happens when you do this with a raw file. Of course if you want a smart object do that but there is no need if you don't want to have a smart object

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines