LR works extremely slow

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to everyone! Recently I started to experience huge lagging in LR. To the point of impossibility to work with the application. Every move, every click ends in 5-10 seconds lagg. Often UI turns black, app "not responding". I tried to purge cache, add cache to 20Gb. Cache, LR and database is on the same SSD disk. Every disc have enough free space. Turned off GPU acceleration, reinstalled app, installed older version, tried to work without any data(photos), nothing helps. I never experienced any considerable laggs on my current or previous PCs. Any other software and games work perfectly.

P.S. I`m adding my PC info in txt file.

Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.18363
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3,6 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 24518,2 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 24518,2 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1506,0 MB (6,1%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2387,0 MB
GDI objects count: 754
USER objects count: 1968
Process handles count: 2188
Memory cache size: 0,0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.2.1 [ 415 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 453MB / 12259MB (3%)
Camera Raw real memory: 458MB / 24518MB (1%)
System DPI setting: 120 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (26.21.14.4587)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: E:\Lightroom\Lightroom catalog\Lightroom Catalog-2-2.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
Device : 13c2
Subsystem : 31601462
Revision : a1
Video Memory : 4043

Correct answer by maevskiy | Community Beginner

In general, I tried all the tips from the ones you listed. LR's performance is just awful. I think this is just a crappy code. C1 works absolutely fine, LR is simply impossible to use. However, thanks for the help!

Topics

Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (26.21.14.4587)

So v 445.87 nice and current. Ok

When you updated, did you select Custom option, as to install a clean copy? Deletes all old ditrus left behind that might foul things up. Not normaly required, but often advised when having issues.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.3, PS 21.2; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.5; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed a clean copy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, I tried all the tips from the ones you listed. LR's performance is just awful. I think this is just a crappy code. C1 works absolutely fine, LR is simply impossible to use. However, thanks for the help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this assesment.  I also have a very fast computer designed specifically for photo processing.  Based on Passmark performance benchmarking my computer ranks in the 96 percentile worldwide.  The average computer has a rating of 3643.  My rating is 7745.  So I do not believe this is a computer performance issue.  I have tried many things to improve performance.  I even opened a very small catalog with no collections and it is still slow.  Many mouse clicks are delayed by several second.  I watched my computer performance while I was clicking and nothing came even close to maximum with any resources.  Lightroom Classic did not used to have these performance issues.  I am inclined to try an old version to see if I can get the performance back.  It is frustrating.  Does anyone know how far back I need to go to get resonable performance back?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was the only one having these issues till I got into the forum and read. 
The last two updates to LRC have been horrible and have done nothing but halt my work. 
So frustrated I even considered using the cloud base LR and it is so fast, but I like the classic. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
cpgilles LATEST
Participant ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Misty66.  Read my post on what I did to get the performance back.  Basically I uninstalled Lightroom and then deleted all the preferences files in User\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom.  (back these files up first).  Then I reinstalled Lightroom and manually set the preferences back the way I had them.  Now Lightroom is back to normal performance.  I know it is a pain but it is the only think that worked for me.  None of the other recommendations worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how far back I need to go to get resonable performance back?

I can't answer this question since LR is working fine on my both computers, without the bad performance you described. FYI; my desktop config is Ryzen 7 3700, 32 GB memory, OS on its own SSD, Catalog on its own SSD and photos on a HD. My second computer is a less powerful laptop with 16GB memory.

The poor performace you get is not normal. Obviously there is something wrong with your computer. Did you remove the LR cache as well the catalog and its associated folders from the scan of your antivirus? This can help a bit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get the performance back by doing the following:

I checked all the standard performance improvements methods discussed in multiple posts and web site.  None of them worked.  Then I discovered Lightroom was working just fine on my older slower computer.  It shares the exact same catalog.  That made no sense so I started an exhaustive investigation on the difference between the two computers and Lightroom settings.  I could not find anything obvious.  Both computers are similar (the older one is much slower) and all the setting in Lightroom looked the same.  I decided to back up the setting from my older slower computer and copy them to my faster new computer.  However, before I did that I decided to completely uninstall Lightroom Classic and delete all the preferences.  Everything.  I then reinstall Lightroom with a clean installation and instead of coping the preference back from the old installation I just reconfigured Lightroom to the way it was before I uninstalled it.  And sure enough the performance I came to expect with Lightroom was back.  I have no idea why it slowed down so much but I am back in business.  Too bad it takes all that to get the performance you would expect.  Note that Lightroom only reciently started showing the poor performance

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines