• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR10.1.1 won't upgrade old catalog for import

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: I'm working with a paid subscription to Creative Cloud LR 10.1.1 and I'm trying to import a catalog that I exported to an eternal hard drive from a now defunct iMac. The catalog was exported in Sept 2020 (so probably version 9?) and it's not ancient history but it is previous to the latest upgrades to LR. I tried opening the catalog and was told that the catalog can't be upgraded in order to import. The Abode suggestion is that I open an older version of LR, but I don't have any, so can't use the trick of opening an older version, exporting as a catalog and then importing into the new version. When I tried importing the old catalog into a new catalog that I created in 10.1.1, it was also not upgradable and Adobe suggested that I open the old catalog in LR7. Any thoughts on what to do? I have several thousand edited images in old catalogs that I would like to be able to access. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first comment- Images are NOT IN A CATALOG! Catalogs do not contain photos. Catalogs are a database that contains references to their folder location on your hard-drives.

I do not know what photo files are referenced in your old catalog- do you know where the photo files are? But rather than Import a catalog, simply Copy the Catalog to your internal drive. Do not over-write your main current catalog- Rename the copy if needed. Then try opening [Double-Click] the copied catalog again to see if it upgrades and opens on the internal drive. You will likely have to re-link folders and photos that are marked as "missing".

Later you can then merge catalogs by [Import from another catalog].

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

CATALOG-FIND AND MOVE

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that my images are outside the catalog. I access the edits through the catalog. I copied the catalog to my internal drive and it upgraded and opened. thank you!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to open (not import into another catalog) that old catalog in Lightroom Classic 10.1.1? If so, what does the error say exactly?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the reply. I did try opening as well as importing. Neither worked until I copied the catalog off my external HD, leaving the image files behind. Then it upgraded and opened. Cumbersome but it is a relief. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines