• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR10 "Unexpected error opening catalog" after a some weeks working successfully with LR10

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am somehow trapped in the LR10 maze.

After a couple of weeks working with LR10 and the new (converted) catalog, I am not able to open any catalog using LR10. The following message appears:

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.13.42 PM.png

What I tried so far and what did not work:
Choose a Different Catalog: Not possible, same message appears.
Launch with pressed "option"-key and check integrity: No success, the test of the integrity does not even start, but the same message appears.
Look for any *lrcat.lock file (and delete): No, also no such a file found.
Revert back to previous LR-Version (which is 9.4): Possible yes, but this reports that the recently used catalog is from a higher LR-Version and refuses to open this catalog. 

HELP! 🙂 Any Idea on what I could do to aget access to current catalog and do not loose the edits I have done in the past weeks?
Is there probably a fix in the release-pipeline from adobe? The issue does not seems to be so un-common?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Michael

Oh, this could be useful: The issue appears on an iMAC2019 running latest Version of Catalina (10.15.7) 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a recent backup of your catalog file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do have daily backups done by Adobe when finishing LR and I also have time machine backups available. 
Meanwhile I tried to go back to a snapshot/copy of the catalog which I was definitely able to open (the backup before the last backup). Strange thing - also this brought the same error. I went back and forth in installing/uninstalling LR10/LR9.4 and after a reboot now, I can open the catalog which was unable to open this morning. It looks like this is not an issue with the catalog itself, which lets me hope for a fix from Adobe in a future patch for LR10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try placing a copy of one of the recent backups in an empty folder on a different disk, and see if it will open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Will do so next time the issue occurs and update here. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my diagnosis of the problem, the fact that you were able to use the V10 catalog for a few weeks after the upgrade before having this problem indicates to me that problem was not the upgrade causing this error (although other people got this error immediately after the upgrade, that is a different case likely to be caused by the upgrade). In my opinion, this particular problem, where the catalog file will not open but a backup will open on a different disk indicates a malfunction of the disk where the original catalog file is, and I will recommend you run diagnostics on this disk, and depending on what you find, I would replace it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines