• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR6 cannot import from hard drive

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I am able to import successfully directly from my usb-tethered camera, but not from any local directory I've tried (desktop, photos, documents, downloads...)
  2. When I bring up the import dialog for any local directory (that's not part of the catalog), it shows the files, but most thumbnails do not show up in grid view. If I click on one, it goes to the loupe view with the proper image, but when I go back to the grid, still no images.
  3. I'm pretty sure that despite having "new images only" checked, it always leaves all images checked, including the ones that have already been imported.
  4. Drag-drop image files into the LR window brings up the import dialog with all the same problems subsequent.
  5. Clicking IMPORT on checked images starts the progress bar going but it never imports anything and never progresses past a tiny token progress indication. 
  6. I am able to cancel the import, but if I've brought up the import dialog, even if I cancel out of it and never click the "import" button, I am unable to quit LR. It gives me Mac's spinning beach ball forever.  The only way out is a force-quit. *EDIT:* This is not true with successful imports (from the camera). When the import makes progress and completes as normal, the preferences are set to land the Library grid view on Last Import. I can edit and do whatever else and quitting / backing up works just fine. It's only failed imports that make it impossible to quit normally later. Even with canceled imports, the application doesn't hang until attempting to quit.
  7. When I reopen subsequently and look at the Import dialog, I now have more than one entry for my solid state disk. At this point I've got 3. One has nothing under it, the other two seem to be duplicates with the full contents underneath.
  8. It wasn't always like this and I can't think of anything (like OS upgrades or config changes) that created the change.

I've spent time a lot of time with Adobe support, tried making new catalogs and played with disk/folder permissions, and gave them full control to try a bunch of stuff directly on my computer. At one point they found a subfolder on the desktop didn't seem to have this problem so the solution proposed was to just put photos I wanted to import there (!), but now I can't make any folder work. The poster loonsailer partway down in this support forum post had what sounds like an identical situation. Adobe tried a bunch of stuff unsuccessfully and then suggested making a new user account on the machine, which is not realistic. The poster reported getting help from Apple, who tracked down a Lightroom config file called Debug Database.txt causing a problem and for them, deleting this file fixed the problem. I tried that. No change.

LR 6.0 [1014445], OS X 10.15.6 (Catalina) with a pending upgrade

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz dual-core i5, 16 GB DDR3

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Have you tried 

1. launching Lightroom with your normal catalog open.

2. Then clicking IMPORT>

3. Then navigating through the top segment of the import dialog to the folder where your images are located.

4. Then setting up a new folder for a specific location in your catalog to import to.

Also, if you could take a screen shot of your import dialog maybe one of us would spot the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've tried that. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether I use the left/right panel or the top navigation to select the source or destination. I've always had the destination set to create new folders based on date. I just now tried having it create a new static folder. The behavior was the same. Here's a screenshot of the import dialog with orange name Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 8.27.32 PM.pngredactions. You can see there are multiple listings in the left panel for the SSD and no thumbnails are showing up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think your file names can have periods in them, except to separate the fine name from the file extension (.jpg). YOurs have at least one other period in the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those aren't actually extra periods in the file name. When file names are longer than space permits, the application uses ellipses (...) to leave out the middle and show the beginning and end to help differentiate files from each other. All the files are normally named.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are security settings that are required to be set for Catalina, but not for earlier operating systems. If you search the forums, you will find the proper settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I've searched the forums as you suggested but can't find any posts for Catalina security settings for Lightroom.

As I replied and supplied screenshots for the comment below, Lightroom has the all the "Files and Folders" permission checkboxes checked in the System Preferences dialog.

If there's a post I'm missing that has different instructions I'd appreciate if you could point me to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 8.39.26 PM.pngThat doesn't appear to be the issue – the permissions were already set for folders I've been trying to import from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying another approach here: I reread your post and noticed this:

"I am able to cancel the import, but if I've brought up the import dialog, even if I cancel out of it and never click the "import" button, I am unable to quit LR. It gives me Mac's spinning beach ball forever.  The only way out is a force-quit."  

Sometimes Updates and installs have a glitch while they are working - maybe an unnoticeable brownout, or whatever. SO when that happens to me Here is what I do:

1.make sure your photo files are stored and also backed up to a second location,

2. make sure you have a back up copy of your latest LR catalog, and the previews catalog, and also a back up of the ones before that if possible. I usually have 3.

3.Then try uninstalling LR by going to the cloud symbol on your top menu, and clicking LR and then clicking the ellipse (3 dots) tothe far right. THen if you can remove the LR preferences,

4. Shut down the computer ...

5. Restart the computer and try reinstalling LR.  

6. Find your LR catalog and double click on it to open LR.

As I said, this is my "drastic measure" and because I am a backup fanatic I always have copies of my preferences, and my catalogs. So for me, this has worked in the past - not sure if it is computer correct (CC) but it has worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea, kentdesign. I had read in the forums that Lightroom classic does not work when installed fresh on Catalina – only if it was pre-installed and then the OS was updated. I wouldn't want to get stuck with no working LR at all. Imports direct from my camera are still fine, as is all the library management, editing, exports, and uploads / plugins, and that's my dominant workflow. This issue is for any local source of import. Would the issue described in that linked post affect a reinstall, too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AH - LR 6! The one that exists on the DVD.... LR from the CC cloud installs fresh just find in Catalina, That is what I have. I did a clean install of Catalina, and then downloaded and installed all my Adobe applications and everything works as it should. I no longer have LR 6 anywhere, so I apoligize, I cannot test it right now. I will see if a friend still has their copy and if so, I will put a new copy of Catalina on a spare drive and see if LR 6  installs and works. Sorry I cannot be more help right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines