• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC 10.2 crashes on first Map access after Import, Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC exits and provides crash prompts if the Map module is accessed after an import. This seems to occur regardless of homw Map module is accessed and is 100% consistent. I am running on an iMac Pro (2017) with 64 GB of memory. The problem has been around through a number of updates and I am not seeing others complaining about it so it may be specific to my installation.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be appreciated. I would also like to know if I am not alone with this issue with the current Lightroom Classic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of great ideas on https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-basic-troubleshooting-fix-most-issues.html, butI did not find anything helpful to my issue here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting LR's preferences: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks johnrellis for the idea. I tried reseting the preferences per the link you provided (I used the <shift><opt> method) but I still crash when I access the Map module after an Import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info.  Provide all the details, rather than linking back to this thread -- experience shows that Adobe developers tend not to follow the links.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again johnrellis. I did a text chat with an Adobe Tech and it started working. My suspicion is that your Preferences reset idea in fact worked but I failed to remember to reboot before testing it. Something the Tech did forced a reset on the cached preferences and I could no longer replicate the problem - a happy ending.

I've been using PS, and later LR when it became available, forever. And I haven't needed much help over the years and avoided the forums and Tech Support. I am very pleased that a fellow user was able to help me here, and that Tech Support was a positive  experience as well. Cheers to you and Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a 2020 iMac 27" with the latest version of LR Classic and a 2019 MacBook Pro with the same, both running mcOS 11.2.3 Big Sur, I have exactly the same issue. Clicking on the Map module for the first time after importing files causes an immediate crash. Relaunching the application and clicking on the Map module works perfectly. I've sent off numerous bug reports to Adobe but nothing has happened!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Russell, You wouldn't happen to be using a Nikon Z or be converting your Raw files to DNG on Import? I am looking for patterns...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well how remarkable! I'm using a Nikon Z6 with Nikon NEF files but I also have this problem with DNG files imported from both DJI Mini 2 and a Parrot Anafi. As I noted the app only crashes the first time I access the Map module. Once I relaunch it, whether accessing previously imported files or newly imported ones everything works as intended. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, please add details of your issue to the bug report that Brett posted in the official feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lrc-crashes-upon-first-access-to-map-...

(Product developers read everything posted in the forum and often engage, while they rarely participate here.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter and Brett, if you have a particular photo that reliably causes this problem when you import it and then go to the Map module, please upload it to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link in the bug report. Adobe is much more likely to look at a bug if they can reproduce it easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occurs with 100% of my images. It doesn't appear to be related to any particular image but instead to Import. Considering that Peter is using different hardware as well as what I use, maybe it's related to converting to DNG during import? After the crash Map module works fine until I execute another import. 

I added this info to the bug report page. No response there yet (but it is of course a holiday weekend so no response is really expected at this point).

If you still think it useful I will create a NEF and capture it before Import and include it on the bug report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It always helps Adobe to provide a sample image -- the bug may be limited to particular models or makes or particularities about the images (which, say, could be common to every photo you take but not common  to others).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I again processed an Import today and followed that with a Map module access that caused LrC to crash once again. Resetting Preferences has clearly not worked and it is unclear why it worked while the Adobe Tech was on the phone with me. I won't be able to try tech support again before next week.

Interesting to see that I am no longer the only user with this issue. Can it be that few people are using Map module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I again processed an Import today and followed that with a Map module access that caused LrC to crash once again."

Sigh, that's too bad.  It's certainly possible the problem is unrelated to LR preferences and that simply restarting LR (which you do when you reset preferences) makes the problem less likely to occur for a while.

"I won't be able to try tech support again before next week."

Beware that Adobe tech support has a very bad reputation, especially for issues that are not well-understood and documented. They tend to say anything to close out a call they can't resolve.

"Interesting to see that I am no longer the only user with this issue. Can it be that few people are using Map module?"

Based on all the posts over the years in LR forums, I think a large fraction of LR users actively use the Map module (I do).  Typically, if a release introduces a problem in a well-used feature, we'll see lots and lots of posts about it.  I'm a moderator in three LR forums, and yours is the only thread I've seen about this in the last many months.  

I just searched the official feedback forum again and didn't see any similar bug reports in the past four months.  It's possible but less likely that I missed some (the forum's own search is horrendus, but I used Google site search instead).  So I encourage you to post a bug report:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/ 

That provides a central placer for aggregating additional reports of similar symptoms. Adobe developers actively participate in that forum but are rarely seen here. They read everything posted there and sometimes engage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, Thanks for that. I created a report there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm seeing this behaviour too, LrC 10.2, MacBook Pro 13" late 2013 running Big Sur 11.2.3. It's really frustrating. It makes no difference what I import - it seems to be any files, I'm using NEFs from a D700 and D810 so nothing new and exotic there. It happens consistently and every time; when I restart Lightroom the Map module works fine.

I've tried reinstalling LrC to no avail, however I haven't reset my preferences file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JoFroHo, be sure to add your details to the bug report linked above. Adobe developers won't see your feedback here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I entered the following over on the bug report:

Further testing: I am usually using a Nikon Z 6II so I tried my D750 and results were exactly the same. I normally use Copy as DNG during import so I tried simply Copy and I received the same results, so it doesn't matter if I have DNG or NEF files when I select the Map module.

I wanted to include a NEF file so engineering has something handy to play with, but I don't know how to provide a NEF image. It seems that you are limited to JPEG/PNG/etc. In any case, I do not believe that the problem is image specific anyway. Instead it must have something to do with process or library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With regard to the Map module problems associated with Lightroom Classic (macOS 11.2.3 Big Sur), when Lightroom crashes immediately after importing new files (NEF & DNG) and then going to the Map module from either the Library or Develop modules, I just had the following exchange with Adobe, which has cured the issue:

Adobe: Thanks can you create a new catalog import the images try to work and see if it crashes?

Me: Yes, problem seems to be solved.

Adobe: Thanks, so you can import old catalog here and check it?

Me: Yes I have and it worked perfectly.

I hope that this helps others as it's a simple cure.

Adobe: OK. Then it’s fine. Also open system preferences and Go to: Security and privacy >privacy >full disk access>unlock it.unlock button is on bottom left once it is unlocked click the + sign and browse to Lightroom Classic and add it and check LR as sometimes they get corrupted and it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I went ahead and checked LrC in the Full Disk Access area. I am not completely certain I understand the first part. Are you saying to create a new Catalog and Import the Old Catalog into the new one? I have an enormous catalog and want to make sure I understand before I go playing with fire. Much Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett, simply create a new empty catalogue and then import your previous (but closed) catalogue, which may take some time. I've only a relatively small catalogue containing some 6500 image files as I don't use the app as a DAM tool and it took ten minutes or so. Once everything was imported the Map module worked perfectly. You still retain your previous catalogue if it all goes pear shaped! Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked. Much thanks Peter. I think I feel it's a bit of a workaround but, indeed, LrC is corrupting it's catalogs and generating a new one seems to fix this issue. Cheers to you and the Adobe tech that knew what to do!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I tried this, including the full disk access bit, but sadly I still have the issue. Has anyone got any further ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines