• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC keeps importing from folders/drives not selected....

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get LrC running. I have specific folders I want to import into the catalog. I select Import, then select specific folders to import, click Import and off it goes. Eventually it starts importing from other folders on other drives that were not originally selected for import. I can't get it to stop doing this.

Letting it run it's course and going back to "remove" the other folders is very time consuming and isn't what I should be required to do as I didn't select those folders/drives in the first place.

I have tried several times to get it to work the way I assume it's supposed to, to no avail.

Help....

tia,

Monte

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the entire import dialog with the folders selected, i.e. before you click the Import button.

To post a screenshot, click the Insert Photos button in the toolbar.

Insert-photos.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything wrong in the import dialog.

But you do realize that this will import almost 50,000 images?

Because you have Include Subfolders checked, the import will include all the subfolders of the selected folder.

Or maybe you just clicked a random folder for the screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand there are a lot of images there. Do you remember Picasa? I am trying to use LrC like that. Find all images so I can organize them. Maybe not the right use case.

BUT, why does LrC keep going off track? My laptop has 2 physical drives, C and D. The other physical drives shown are in an external enclosure. I am using a program (Stablebit DrivePool) that takes those drives and maps them to a single "mapped" drive (Z).

But why does it keep going into my OneDrive folders/drives which aren't even shown in the Folder tree?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with mapped drives, but maybe Lightroom doesn't play well with them.

Have you tried importing from the actual physical drive instead of the Z drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't do that. Folders are hidden on the other physical drives. I can unhide them, but not sure of the complications I'd end up with. And each file is duplicated on at least 2 of the other drives. Drive failure protection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen capture of the import dialog show that "include sub folders" is selected and Z drive is selected for the import. If all the other drives are also somehow connected to the Z drive and maybe all the photos on the drives are being imported.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think "Z" is selected. Only one folder on Z is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no images in the folder "!Monte files", only in the sub folders. If I don't have "Include Subfolders" selected nothing gets imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUT in the !Monte folder there is at least one other folder that may contain all your images. The "Restored dell system backup" and that has at least one, but I suspect many, other SubFolders.

Is it this DrivePool, I guess, Mapped drive that somehow you have included all your drives in it.

What you need to do is Select Specific SubFolders under the !Monte folder and Uncheck the option to "Include Subfolders". Or get Rid of the whatever that DrivePool is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not going to get rid of DrivePool, that's just silly thinking. Think about what you just proposed. Getting rid of networked/raid/duplicated etc. drives isn't an option.

Why should I have to select each individual folder? That's just silly.

Yes, there are many, many, many sub folders under "!Monte files", why is that a problem? And the other folders/drives that Lightroom goes off into aren't related to the DrivePool. It keeps going off into D:\ and C:\ which are not part of the DrivePool that makes up Z:\. And it keeps going online to OneDrive, which isn't part of the DrivePool that makes up Z:\.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Exactly is this DrivePool (:Z)?

Never mind.

Best of luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program is Stablebit DrivePool. It is a Windows service that takes multiple hard drives and duplicates your files and folders across them for redundency. It takes those drives and makes a "virtual" drive that shows all of your files and folders on that one drive, Z:\ in my case.

I don't think it has anything to do with that because LrC keeps going to drive D:\ and C:\ which are the 2 physical drives in my laptop. All of the other drives (M, N, Q, R, S, T) are physical drives in an enclosure that sits on the desk. LrC has never gone to any of them, just Z:\ ("virtual drive"), C:\, D:\ and OneDrive. OneDrive is on C:\ somewhere.

Thanks for the help and good wishes, but please don't diss me. I need the help. I am giving you all the information I can.

Is there a way to make LrC ignore specific hard drives until they are selected to scan?

Monte

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah well drive C and D are being duplicated, as you say, on that Z Drive Pool drive that you do have selected and in that !Monte folder is a SYSTEM BACKUP of some type.

If you don't want this to happen then STOP Selecting any folder on the Drive Z and select only drives or folders on the other drives connected to your system.

It is NOT LrC that is doing this. It is You and your selection of , most likely, any folder on that Drive Z.

As Above the best of luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty heavy stuff there. It's not a SYSTEM BACKUP of some type. It's a virtual drive. Lightroom is the only program that's ever had a problem with it. I've run many different backup programs on it, scanning the drive for files to backup. Heck, even Picasa didn't have a problem with it.

To say "It is You and your selection of , most likely, any folder on that Drive Z." just sounds really ignorant.

Don't worry, I won't bother you anymore. Yes, I've figured out a workaround, but it's a hassle. A hassle I don't think I should have to put up with. And it doesn't make use of Lightroom like I thought it was supposed to work. I pay a lot of money for this, only to have limited use of the program.

peace, out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Don't use drive Z:\", that's it.

I can't do that. I've asked the Stablebit community forum if they've heard of anything like this. Maybe they can help. If so, I will post back, hopefully with a solution.

Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines