Highlighted

LrC malfunction

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Yesterday, I tried to download LrC v9.3.

I could not get Adobe Cloud to work so I rang Adobe for help. One hour later after switching off all security on my PC, the agent was able to access and download the latest cloud folder and then download LrC V9.3. Then another problem arose.... the new version copied across the old Cat 3.2 ignoring the later version Cat4 I had been using. Result was my more recent photo files (6 months worth) did not come over. Before I could get a chance to explain, the agent was gone.

I then copied over Cat4 to find empty folders, no images. I manually added one of the smaller photo folders that did not copy across and it loaded the folder in LrC. However when I exit LrC, there is no back up message, LrC simply closes.

In addition, when I try to load one of the larger photo folders, the program simply freezes or gives me the message "cant open Cat4 until other version of LR is closed." Of course, there is no other version open.

Screenshot attached of LrC message.

I again contacted adobe this morning and after around 30 minutes on the phone the agent could not find the association between Cat4 and the larger photo folder and simply terminated the phone call and remote support without notice or explanation.

So.... my two questions are:

1. does Version 9.3 automatically back up so that when closing the program, it does not need to prompt the user to do so?

2. Is there any other way to reinclude the missing folders back into LrC please? 

Sorry if this all sounds a bit confusing, but it is how the events unfolded.

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

LrC malfunction

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Yesterday, I tried to download LrC v9.3.

I could not get Adobe Cloud to work so I rang Adobe for help. One hour later after switching off all security on my PC, the agent was able to access and download the latest cloud folder and then download LrC V9.3. Then another problem arose.... the new version copied across the old Cat 3.2 ignoring the later version Cat4 I had been using. Result was my more recent photo files (6 months worth) did not come over. Before I could get a chance to explain, the agent was gone.

I then copied over Cat4 to find empty folders, no images. I manually added one of the smaller photo folders that did not copy across and it loaded the folder in LrC. However when I exit LrC, there is no back up message, LrC simply closes.

In addition, when I try to load one of the larger photo folders, the program simply freezes or gives me the message "cant open Cat4 until other version of LR is closed." Of course, there is no other version open.

I again contacted adobe this morning and after around 30 minutes on the phone the agent could not find the association between Cat4 and the larger photo folder and simply terminated the phone call and remote support without notice or explanation.

So.... my two questions are:

1. does Version 9.3 automatically back up so that when closing the program, it does not need to prompt the user to do so?

2. Is there any other way to reinclude the missing folders back into LrC please? 

Sorry if this all sounds a bit confusing, but it is how the events unfolded.

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All that you wrote sounds a little bit mysterious and I don't understand exact what happend.

This happened when Lightroom doesn't quit in the normal way. Then there's a .lock file beside the appropriate catalog file.

Search in your file system after a file named Lightroom Catalog-4.lock and delete this file.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-error-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.htm...

Then it should be possible to open the catalog.

... does Version 9.3 automatically back up so that when closing the program, it does not need to prompt the user to do so?

No. You have to configure how and when the backup of the catalog will be done. As far as I know the default setting is that no backup will be done. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Will give it a goe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I have found the "lock" file and deleted it. This has allowed me to open Catalog-4 which includes the small folder I was able to import. So, I am half way there thanks.

Tomorrow, when I have more time, I will manually try to add the larger photo folder and see if it will import or simply freeze the software again. Will advise the result.

I have also changed the backup setting.

Thanks for info.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0