• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.lrplugin compatible with both MacOS and Windows?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have purchased a couple Lightroom plugins for my windows system, can I also use them on Mac since they are plugins? Or is it just like software that is system specific?

Thanks,

Marc

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes meaning he can use them, or yes meaning they are platform specific? 🙂

(the answer is that they are platform specific)

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly all LR plugins will run on both Windows and Mac. A few support only one platform (typically because they invoke external programs), but their web sites should warn you about that.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. It seems it varies based on what the plugin does and perhaps its interface. I see quite a lot of plugins that do support both platforms, but where you do have to download a platform specific version. All the Alloyphoto.com plugins, for example.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most plugin developers include Mac and Windows support in the same .lrplugin bundle -- it's easier for the developer and, even for plugins that include platform-specific binaries, the combined downloads are pretty small. I don't know why Vlad at Alloyphoto prefers to have separate downloads.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, that explains it. The code is platform specific like I thought it would be, but the plugin bundle is usually what Apple called a 'fat binary' (when they changed processors from Motorola to Intel).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Technically, most of the code of most plugins is written in Lua (the language used to implement LR itself). Compiled Lua runs on both Mac and Windows without change. Many plugins don't have any check for Mac versus Windows, relying on LR's pretty good platform-independent SDK. Some plugins will have a small amount of Lua code "if on windows ... else ...".  And fewer plugins run external programs bundled inside the plugin, and most of them will include both the Mac and Windows versions of those external programs (e.g. Exiftool or Imagemagick).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines