• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Open as layer not working from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit about 30 images per day by selecting the below command, within Lightroom Classic (recently updated):

PHOTO > EDIT IN > OPEN AS LAYERS IN PHOTOSHOP (also recently updated)

But after the most recent update of PS and LrC I have lost this ability.  If I select 5 images in LrC and try to do the above, only about 1-2 images appear in my layered PS file as a layer, then a blank "LOAD LAYERS" layer appears (see attahed) and one more image will open in a seperate PS file and not a part of the layered file - then the import quits.

After I am done editing the layered file and when I save it - it will automatically save and load the modified layerd file in LrC - which it does not do anymore.

Obviously the only work around is for me to copy and past each layer individally and then manually save the file and import into my LrC catalog - which makes the process of editing images very inefficient when doing dozens of these edits per day.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, latest install of LrC and PS / Catalina - again, I have edited hundreds of images prior to the updates and never had an issue so obviously it have soemthing to do with the update, at least for me.

andrew

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, LRD-4204498}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Greetings,

This issue should be fixed in the Lightroom Classic 10.2 update that went live today. This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug Fixes

See whats new in the latest version here.

To update Lightroom Classic to 10.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Lightroom. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a quick test with my LR 9.3 / Mac OS 10.15.5, and Open As Layers In Photoshop correctly opened the 10 selected photos as layers. I suggest you post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions: 
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info for both LR and PS.  Provide all the details, rather than linking back to this thread -- experience shows that Adobe developers tend not to follow the links.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and after extensive uninstall and the like, I had to remove the lastest PS and installed the previous one and the previous PS works fine.  I will wait for a bug fix.  I use Windows 10 with the latest feature update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew filed a bug report here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/-open-as-layers-in-photoshop-function-in-ligh...

In response, Adobe suggested resetting both LR's and PS's preferences. I suggest you try that and post whether or not that helped on that bug report's thread (not here).

Unless others me-too that bug report with more details, I think it's unlikely that Adobe will take any action, since (as of now) they don't appear to have a way to reproduce the problem.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this 10 times with 10 photos and it worked correctly 9 times.  One time it loaded 4 files in layers with the blank "Load Layers" and then a fifth one loaded in a separate Window.  The other 5 did not load.  

This is better odds than another long term bug of doing Edit In Photoshop for 10 files where doing it 10 times it fails on 3 or 4 times to load them all.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select multiple files and choose "Open as Layers in Photoshop" it opens up the files in separate tabs in Photoshop instead of layering them in one tab. If I restart my macbook it will work as normal first try and then the next time it will open in separate tabs again. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop while opening images as layers from Lightroom. Would you mind sharing the versions of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop you are using along with your computers operating system?

Have you tried re-installing the apps to check if that helps? If not, please try that and let us know if the issue persists.

You can also check the suggestions here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/edit-in-open-as-layers-in-photoshop-not-worki...

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is version 21.2.1 and Lightroom Classic is version 9.3. My mac OS is Catalina 10.15.6. I have not tried re-installing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled both LR and PS and it is still happening!!! This is very frustrating. I'm now having to pay a 3rd party to edit my photos for me. Please someone help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I have now tried downgrading to the previous version of Camera Raw like the gentleman in that link suggested and it still did not fix it! Can I go back to the previous version of LR and PS somehow to see if that helps? This is completely putting a halt to my workflow and my clients are waiting on their photos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welp I figured out how to go back to previous version of both LR and PS and that didn't fix it either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

We're sorry for all the trouble. It's known issues with Lightroom Classic. Our engineering team is investigating a fix. Here's the feedback link for the latest updates on this issue: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/-open-as-layers-in-photoshop-function-in-ligh...

Check all the suggestions and workarounds suggested by Adobe and other users on the above thread and do add your vote as well.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new Photoshop 2020 if I press "Open as layer in photoshop" from Lightroom Classic it fails one time on tre. I mean that it open files as many singole file in PS. How to resolve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that the "Open as layers in Photoshop" is not working when you open an image from Lightroom Classic

Have you updated to the recent update of Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.4? See https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/uptodate.html 

Could you please take a look at this discussion Lightroom: 'Open as Layers' in Photoshop doesn't work | Photoshop Family Customer Community  and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the open as layer isn't working properly from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop. This is a known issue with Lightroom Classic and our engineering team working on the fix.

You can refer to the following feedback link for all the future updates on this issue, also you can add your vote to it as well: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroom-classic-open-as-layers-in-...

For now, you can initiate the stack from Photoshop. Here's how you can do image stack in Photoshop: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/image-stacks.html

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having this problem.

Photoshop opens and when it finally stops the import i am left with the two files separately loaded and two layers, one of which is one of the layers and the other is labelled Load Layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots to illustrate the issue? 

How many images do you select, what file formats, are you suing the Script »Load Files into Stack«, …? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm sorry for not detailing.

when in lightroom, I select 2 or more images then use the "`OPEN AS LAYERS IN PHOTOSHOP". Photoshop will attempt to load it in layers however there are times that it will load all the images in layers. Kindly check the image attached for better understanding. Thank you so much for your response. I'll screen record when I encounter it again. Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 6.52.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-22 at 6.52.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you also describe steps involved in process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All images must be open in the same document. Script is failing but I can not tell you why. The process is similar to what you see in your app with small difference on your side: Photoshop is failing to move image open in separate tab to document with two layers or images already open. 

Try to post on Photoshop family https://feedback.photoshop.com/, report bug and ask for help there because Adobe engineers are monitoring that site while this site is user to user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. But the images are not yet opened. What you see is the result of the attempt to open layers in photoshop.

Thanks, I'll post there. `Thanks alot.

By the way, I noticed something.

1. This problem happens when one of the selected image was not "lens corrected" as for the other images selected.

2. When browser or whatsapp or other non adobe products are open.

Kind a wierd, but that's my observation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to the latest versions of Lightroom Classic (9.3) and Photoshop (21.2). In LrC, Photo > Edit In > Open as Layers in Photoshop... opens some number of layers then stops. As the number of layers varies, I suspect it's a resource issue but can't identify what may be limited. Running MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) on a 2017 iMac Pro with 32GB RAM and several large drives available for scratch space.

I have seen this problem discussed for older versions, but not the latest updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been reported several times since 9.3 was released. I did a test awhile back when this was first reported I tested 10 photos 10 times and it worked correctly 9 out of 10 times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on Bob's reply, here's the bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/-open-as-layers-in-photoshop-function-in-ligh...

Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report, and be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes. A number of people have reported these symptoms with 9.3, but so far no one else has Me Too-ed the bug report. Even though it's marked In Progress, meaning an internal bug report has been filed with the development team, that doesn't mean it will get prioritized, so the more votes the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines